GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Modding isn't for everyone...

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 08:46 PM
I talk to cones.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SixtySix+June 9, 2005, 9:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SixtySix @ June 9, 2005, 9:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Gee, I don't remember anyone actually naming names. Ever heard what they say about people who protest too much <_<
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-adrenalin
@June 9, 2005, 9:26 PM
Ya SixtySix. No names were mentioned yet he is offended. Go figure.
[/quote]

That makes three of us noticing that.
Old 6/9/05, 08:54 PM
V6 Member

as i am one of the "complainers"... this post was most definately directed at me... maybe not solely at me but i was in that bunch
Old 6/9/05, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@June 9, 2005, 4:44 PM
So, let me get this straight. BBK delivers a piece of crap to you and all you can say is "oh well"? Interesting . . . OK, to each their own.

The Boss Hog
The long tube story was but an example of one modification that did not go aces. It certainly isn't that the rest of the car's modification went peachy!

"The rest of that cars modification journey was pretty much the same".

Saleen Light Bar? Check, encountered problems. worked around them, moved on.
H&R SS springs? Check, encountered problems, worked around them, moved on..
BBK O/R H-pipe? Check, encountered problems, worked around them, moved on..
Kenny Brown Chassis Kit? Check, encountered problems. worked around them, moved on.
Tokico Shocks/Struts? Check, encountered problems. worked around them, moved on.
APC Tail lights (insert mocking here) Check, encountered problems. worked around them, moved on.
etc...etc...

Like I said earlier I am honestly hard pressed to think of a single modification I have done that has gone 100% perfectly smooth.

"In the end though that is part of the reason why I enjoy modding as it requires patience, ingenuity, skill, and temperance". For me all four of these traits need improvement and modifying cars allows me to work on them.

There are other options though...I have a friend who has an amazing race car but he has used a shop for all of the work every step of the way. When he encounters any sort of problem (and even at high-end race shops they have problems) he simply takes it back and they do whatever is necessary to fix it. Of course my friend pays a large amount of money for the shop to do all of the work, but that is what he prefers. Drop the car off, pick it up in a week. I can certainly see the advantage to this approach and I can certainly see (since I have done it for many years) the enjoyment of doing it oneself. To each his own. :-)
Old 6/9/05, 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 9, 2005, 8:57 PM
as i am one of the "complainers"... this post was most definately directed at me... maybe not solely at me but i was in that bunch
For someone who has spent the last few days, and started multiple threads, ripping on jlt I would think you would have thicker skin
Old 6/9/05, 09:47 PM
V6 Member

my feelings arent hurt... but i didnt rip on you guys like this guys rippign on me... i simply ripped ona defective product... defective in my mind at least.
Old 6/9/05, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 9, 2005, 9:50 PM
my feelings arent hurt... but i didnt rip on you guys like this guys rippign on me... i simply ripped ona defective product... defective in my mind at least.
Calling something defective when it only happens to a few in offensive.
Old 6/9/05, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 9, 2005, 8:50 PM

Mrericpm

I did not know you had a JLT, in fact I did not even know you owned a Mustang. I did not know who you were before this thread.

Peace
Old 6/9/05, 10:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 2MFF@June 9, 2005, 8:48 PM
Ya, Jay should have bought a fleet of 05s and sent them to all climate conditions all around the world for real world testing. Only after tens of thousands of miles of testing should he have released his product in late 2006 for a bargain price of $5000 a piece.

He obviously has not had this problem with his intakes for previous years and he has been diligent about correcting issues. Even wit people posting completly BS threads about "Waaaa, I almost got killed". We all know those threads are BS. We all know they just wanted a refund.

BTW - I have a JLT. The first week I had it I drove 3 hours in So. Cal. traffic in 90* heat to the drag strip where I then made 12 runs in approx 4.5 hours. I have since driven 1500+ miles with the JLT including a Memorial weekend trip that was a 4 hour trip each way. On the way home I drove "Historic Route 1" from Pismo Beach to Santa Barbara. My average speed was 94. This road is not well maintained and there were alot of "flyers" (bumps in the road that try to launch your car). All that and I purposely took my filter off yesterday to see if mine had any signs of distortion. My JLT is still roundy round. I think it has alot to do with how tight the clamp is. Sort of like over torquing bolts on something that has a gasket. The gasket just gets squished out. I don't think the ambient air temp is enough to distort the tube. heated tube with an over tightened clamp might.

Good luck to all with their mods
No he didn't need that. All he needed was to do some research on underhood temperatures and PVC. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the engine bay is going to get very hot during summer temperatures, especially in stop and go traffic. I was told by a friend a long time ago not to use PVC for intake tubes for this very reason. IMO a redesign of the intake might be necessary because I have a feeling that this might not be an isolated incident.
Old 6/9/05, 11:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@June 9, 2005, 11:02 PM
No he didn't need that. All he needed was to do some research on underhood temperatures and PVC. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the engine bay is going to get very hot during summer temperatures, especially in stop and go traffic. I was told by a friend a long time ago not to use PVC for intake tubes for this very reason. IMO a redesign of the intake might be necessary because I have a feeling that this might not be an isolated incident.
Hmmmmmm, even by Mrericpm's own words the JLT has worked fine on previous cars like the 03 cobras. Are the underhood characteristics so drastically different? Is this common knowledge I somehow missed?

I would love to hear your "rocket scientist" opinion on the melting point of simple plastic, like the plastic used for the stock intake at the very same point that people are claiming the JLT "warps". If you look at the pic of Mrericpm's JLT warpage it shoes it on the TB side of the tube, not the filter side. I would think that if that region got hot enough to warp the PVC it would surely warp/distort the stock plastic. Or worse yet, heat the intake air to 400+ degrees (or what ever wild hiney number you guys are claiming caused the warpage) which wouldn't be good for the performance of the car.

to the moooooon ---------------------------------------------------------->
Old 6/9/05, 11:27 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

:jedi: :jedi: :flame2:
:ranting:
Old 6/9/05, 11:43 PM

Out of curiousity...how many JLT's have been sold...(all makes and models) and how many have encountered warpage? What kind of numbers are we talking here?
Old 6/10/05, 12:58 AM
GT Member

My filter has come off more than once, but secured it with screws. I have driven more than a 1,000 miles in 90+ degree temps and no change seen in pipe. Car continues to run great.
Old 6/10/05, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MrDrezzUp@June 10, 2005, 12:46 AM
Out of curiousity...how many JLT's have been sold...(all makes and models) and how many have encountered warpage? What kind of numbers are we talking here?
Well, to answer your question...
I am very proud to say I have crossed over the 1000 kits sold make in only 16 months. I have kits in Alaska, Hawaii, every state, and even Puerto Rico.

I can honestly say back in the begenning 1 RAI kit on a cobra came back warped where the clamps were tightened over and over when it was hot. It was replaced on the spot and I recommened only light clamp pressure and all is well.

So far it looks like I have sold very close to 100 05 GT kits and anywhere from 5-10 have had the filter fall off and only 2-3 have had the pipe warp, that I know of. I do think these are good odds, BUT I'm still on it like white on rice. I don't like it and have a perment fix in order.

All this talk about PVC melting points and bending points is great, but blown out of perportion. I have have the same kit on my Cobra for over 16 months, I live in VA Beach area where it can be 90-95 for weeks on end. I drive my car very hard and there is no problems with my pipe.

Here's the deal: The 05 GT JLT pipe has a flaw. It's the only JLT kit that the filter clamps directly to the pipe. The filter mount area is small and when you continue to over tighten the clamp after a drive (because of all the talk) it is deforming the pipe. I do not fault the customer for doing this I fault the JLT.

Please understand I had no way to have this happen to me in testing. It was winter and we did test 4 different cars before we released it to the public. I thought this was over and above what others would do. But, it wasn't enough. I admit.

I have overnighted my pipe and MAF housing to a great machinist in S.C. to make a billit insert to press into the MAF end of the pipe. It will have a filter mount extention and a lip to keep the filter in place. This way the plastic pipe is supported and the filter can be clamped as tight as you want. It will be something customers will be able to do them self or pipes can be returned to me for install.

In the mean time, please notch the filter flange to get the filter on the pipe further. This is simple, free and will not effect the filter's ability to do it's job.

I will keep you all posted on the results of the insert. I'm told the earlest he can get on it is 2 weeks.

Jay
Old 6/10/05, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Fantastic Jay !

-Bryan
Old 6/10/05, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 2MFF@June 10, 2005, 12:26 AM
Hmmmmmm, even by Mrericpm's own words the JLT has worked fine on previous cars like the 03 cobras. Are the underhood characteristics so drastically different? Is this common knowledge I somehow missed?

I would love to hear your "rocket scientist" opinion on the melting point of simple plastic, like the plastic used for the stock intake at the very same point that people are claiming the JLT "warps". If you look at the pic of Mrericpm's JLT warpage it shoes it on the TB side of the tube, not the filter side. I would think that if that region got hot enough to warp the PVC it would surely warp/distort the stock plastic. Or worse yet, heat the intake air to 400+ degrees (or what ever wild hiney number you guys are claiming caused the warpage) which wouldn't be good for the performance of the car.

to the moooooon ---------------------------------------------------------->
You are misinformed. First, please compare the material used in the OEM intake vs JLTs. There is quite a difference in material. Second, please read the posts in this thread http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...pic=26428&st=20. When you do you will find a link that shows the failure point of PVC. Next time you try and be a smarthiney, do some research.
Old 6/10/05, 08:03 AM
FR500 Member

That sounds great Jay. I think it's a combination of things that have caused problems for some. Over tightening, heat, and uninsulated contact with the radiator hose. Might want to consider amending the instructions to include what Bryan(2005RedGT) did with his by insulating the radiator hose.

If you want to do some hot weather testing, I'm game It's already been up to 112 here, and that was before June.
Old 6/10/05, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Originally posted by Tucker@June 10, 2005, 6:17 AM
t this was over and above what others would do. But, it wasn't enough. I admit.

I have overnighted my pipe and MAF housing to a great machinist in S.C. to make a billit insert to press into the MAF end of the pipe. It will have a filter mount extention and a lip to keep the filter in place. This way the plastic pipe is supported and the filter can be clamped as tight as you want. It will be something customers will be able to do them self or pipes can be returned to me for install.

In the mean time, please notch the filter flange to get the filter on the pipe further. This is simple, free and will not effect the filter's ability to do it's job.

I will keep you all posted on the results of the insert. I'm told the earlest he can get on it is 2 weeks.

Jay

Jay...this is..er....the other Jay

Hey...next time PM me...I run a machine shop that specializes in plastic. I could have run ya some Delrin inserts to get ya out of a jam.

I know from dealing with small run plastic parts how hard it is to make something "affordable" and "high qaulity"....Sure you could have a plastic that has a melting point a little short of carbon or even Aluminium but they have their own problems. No one has mentioned the C&L CAI aluminium tubes can get to over 400 degreees F at the TB side (see other posts)....Hey...COOKIES bake a 350 degrees...

Keep on doing what ya doing Jay....most of us know what "modding" means and realize that things happen and service is where it count.

Jay
Old 6/10/05, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

Man i love this forum. It is the only one I visit where people get along and attempt to help others - normally at no advantage to themselves
Old 6/10/05, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Lime05owner@June 10, 2005, 10:35 AM
... No one has mentioned the C&L CAI aluminium tubes can get to over 400 degreees F at the TB side (see other posts)....Hey...COOKIES bake a 350 degrees...

Jay
Wow that's not good! I tought I read all the posts on this subject, but I must have missed that one. Could you please provide a link to where it says the C&L gets to over 400 degrees? Thanks,

The Boss Hog
Old 6/10/05, 01:06 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 2005RedGT@June 10, 2005, 8:38 AM
Man i love this forum. It is the only one I visit where people get along and attempt to help others - normally at no advantage to themselves

I know what you mean. This forum is great. I have given up some of my own little secrets hoping nobody in my area copies my car, but hey, if my info helps someone so be it. If it doesn't, well I find that hard to believe

I completely agree with this topic. Modding isn't for everyone. Just ask my wife. She thinks I shouldn't be changing anything else on my car. What does she know anyway

P.S. If you are reading this dear, I was kidding. I will get to work right away on my honey-do-list for you. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Quick Reply: Modding isn't for everyone...