GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mod Problem Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/09, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Problem Please Help!

Okay guys, I'm at a loss at what could be wrong.

Mods I have on the vehicle:
Steeda CIA
Pulleys
Welded Ford X Pipe
Steeda Charge Motion Plates
Borla Catback

I have a mustang that will not pass inspection. It keeps saying rear O2 sensors are not ready. I had the local shop turn back on the sensors and return everything minus the calculations for intake back on. Still fails on inspection. I have the little control box attached to the back of the intake manifold for the charge motion plates as well. No codes are being thrown at all. I did clean the intake a while back but I'm pretty sure i did not put to much on and i don't think it would cause the rear O2 to not show ready. The vehicle has been out of inspection for many months as I've tried things and the shop is saying they don't know what could cause the O2 to not be ready.
Old 1/2/09, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I heard somewhere the adaptive learning has to finish calibrating when you change the tune before it will pass. I've heard up to 500 miles before this is done.
Old 1/2/09, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OneMustangLover
Okay guys, I'm at a loss at what could be wrong.

Mods I have on the vehicle:
Steeda CIA
Pulleys
Welded Ford X Pipe
Steeda Charge Motion Plates
Borla Catback

I have a mustang that will not pass inspection. It keeps saying rear O2 sensors are not ready. I had the local shop turn back on the sensors and return everything minus the calculations for intake back on. Still fails on inspection. I have the little control box attached to the back of the intake manifold for the charge motion plates as well. No codes are being thrown at all. I did clean the intake a while back but I'm pretty sure i did not put to much on and i don't think it would cause the rear O2 to not show ready. The vehicle has been out of inspection for many months as I've tried things and the shop is saying they don't know what could cause the O2 to not be ready.

hmm interesting, let us know your end results.
Old 1/2/09, 12:09 PM

Trust me I've put miles on it. Inspection was due 05/2008. I'm banging my head on this one. Will the SCT Tuner show codes?
Old 1/2/09, 12:22 PM

Okay. I just checked the DTC info on the tuner and there was nothing to show. Is there any mod that anyone can see that could be affecting it?
Old 1/2/09, 03:00 PM
Cobra Member

the only thing i could tell would be the delete plates. as far as the ford x pipe, it is a ford product so therefore it should retain the same oxygen sensor locations as stock.

you mentioned you cleaned your intake? any rough running after that?

the only thing i could recommend is to check if the MAF sensor is operating properly and check again to see if the 02's are working properly.

do you have the sct2 or x3? i would use a different scanner to see if there is any "pending" codes or codes in your computer history.
Old 1/2/09, 03:01 PM
Cobra Member

this may sound crazy but did you check all your fuzes to see if anything was blown? its just a suggestion, other then that im not sure buddy, good luck.
Old 1/3/09, 10:54 PM

Hmmm. You think it could be a fuse? Never knew that was possible. Any idea which fuse i should look for?

As for the running rough. Nope runs fine. The mention of delete plates. Could that really in fact be an issue? These are the steeda plates steeda svt sells. What about the plates could you think could be causing the rear O2s to say not ready? Maybe this way I can adjust it without having to remove them. Not to mention the warning on the instructions to reinstall the orginal plates, saying something about special adjustment prevents one from putting them back on.
Old 1/4/09, 02:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hmmm. You think it could be a fuse? Never knew that was possible. Any idea which fuse i should look for?

As for the running rough. Nope runs fine. The mention of delete plates. Could that really in fact be an issue? These are the steeda plates steeda svt sells. What about the plates could you think could be causing the rear O2s to say not ready? Maybe this way I can adjust it without having to remove them. Not to mention the warning on the instructions to reinstall the orginal plates, saying something about special adjustment prevents one from putting them back on.
My money is on the tune. How about going back to stock and then trying the inspection? That line in the instructions about special adjustment is BS. I had taken my plates off and put them back out numerous times with zero problems.

Last edited by scramblr; 1/4/09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 1/4/09, 04:34 PM

Glad to hear that. It never quite made since to me about why you could not reinstall original plates, due to laser alignment, yada, yada, yada. The tuner keeps swearing he returned everything to stock. One thing I am considering is, take off the cold air and returning to stock, only thing i'm wondering is. Will i get CEL due to delete plates being left on? Another option and this you guys may know...
If i take it to a Ford dealer and have them run a check, will they refuse since it has Steeda parts or do the mechanics know how to work on Steeda modded vehicles?
Old 1/4/09, 09:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Glad to hear that. It never quite made since to me about why you could not reinstall original plates, due to laser alignment, yada, yada, yada. The tuner keeps swearing he returned everything to stock. One thing I am considering is, take off the cold air and returning to stock, only thing i'm wondering is. Will i get CEL due to delete plates being left on? Another option and this you guys may know...
If i take it to a Ford dealer and have them run a check, will they refuse since it has Steeda parts or do the mechanics know how to work on Steeda modded vehicles?
You should return everything to stock, plates, CAI, tune. You have to reflash the car back to stock after putting the plates back on. Ford will more than likely deny warranty service if you take the car in with the plates off.
Old 1/4/09, 09:32 PM

Hah, ooo it's out of warranty already. 40k miles on it.
Old 1/5/09, 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well that makes it easier, but still, you're going to ask the dealership to figure out a problem which could be an aftermarket tune. They're going to flash your computer with the Ford tune, you're going to drive off the dealership and go into fail safe because the Ford tune does not support the plate deletion.
Old 1/5/09, 10:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you do take it to a Ford dealer & they do reflash the ECM have it set to stock tune, and if possible ask them not to reflash but to check it ! cause itf they do reflash and change the code and you try to upload a tune your crewed, so don't forget to always read stategy to verify the number is good before an up load.
Old 1/5/09, 12:47 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let us know what the solution was once you get it figured out. Oh ya, welcome to TMS!