GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MMR Intake kit

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/04, 12:39 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the installation instructions it says "we recommend for optimum performance that the air baffle inside the rubber inlet tube be removed". Assume they are talking bout the hydro carbon trap. If so, wonder if that is where the increased horse power advertised is really coming from?
Old 12/14/04, 07:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but the open air filter versus the super restrictive airbox is making a big portion of that extra 8 horsepower...If the baffle was the only issue then they could have just fabbed an aluminum pipe to do away with the plastic piece and not bothered with the filter at all...Sounds like the trap is a different piece anyway. Haven't seen anyone post a pic of the location yet so I can only assume. I've been really happy with my MMR though...Here's a shot of it...More pics at http://www.cardomain.com/id/swingle007
Old 12/14/04, 08:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by swingle007@December 14, 2004, 8:36 AM
I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but the open air filter versus the super restrictive airbox is making a big portion of that extra 8 horsepower...If the baffle was the only issue then they could have just fabbed an aluminum pipe to do away with the plastic piece and not bothered with the filter at all...Sounds like the trap is a different piece anyway. Haven't seen anyone post a pic of the location yet so I can only assume. I've been really happy with my MMR though...Here's a shot of it...More pics at http://www.cardomain.com/id/swingle007
looks really good john. slater's doing some good work.

anyone have any thoughts on how the MMR will compare to the K&N? asthetics, performance, price? i looked on k&n's website but it doesn't seem like they had anything available.
Old 12/14/04, 08:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Steve! No word on the K&N on my end so far. All I know is that the aluminum pipe and heat shield will be great when MMR gets them out in January.....I'm so ready to get rid of that big obnoxious black intake tube setup from Ford. The aluminum kit will look amazing with the cone on the end and IF Ford or Steeda ever put out the cover for the top of the motor/intake, the engine compartment will be a sight to see! Can't wait to see your underhood pics after your MMR install!
Old 12/14/04, 08:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by swingle007@December 14, 2004, 9:43 AM
Thanks Steve! No word on the K&N on my end so far. All I know is that the aluminum pipe and heat shield will be great when MMR gets them out in January.....I'm so ready to get rid of that big obnoxious black intake tube setup from Ford. The aluminum kit will look amazing with the cone on the end and IF Ford or Steeda ever put out the cover for the top of the motor/intake, the engine compartment will be a sight to see! Can't wait to see your underhood pics after your MMR install!
chite! january for the aluminum intake. well looks like i'm gunna be waiting on that too. i guess the MMR aluminum intake w/ the heat sheild and the bassani xpipe i'm craving will be out around the same time.

hey john, i'm going to see if i can still make it out for your tune on the 18th...a friend of mine and i might come out. where r u going to be at, and what time? PM with the info once you've got it all planned out.

B)
Old 12/14/04, 08:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

ugh...i keep tyrying to find MMR's website online but for some reason i can't get it. i also looked through the sticky for parts manufacturers but didn't see it. does anyone have the link handy?

Old 12/14/04, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ZERO+December 14, 2004, 9:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ZERO @ December 14, 2004, 9:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-swingle007@December 14, 2004, 8:36 AM

anyone have any thoughts on how the MMR will compare to the K&N? asthetics, performance, price? i looked on k&n's website but it doesn't seem like they had anything available. [/b][/quote]
Zero, K&N is in the process of making one right now. I just dropped off my car there yesterday so they can R&D the process.
Old 12/14/04, 09:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by dallasw77+December 14, 2004, 10:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dallasw77 @ December 14, 2004, 10:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ZERO@December 14, 2004, 9:32 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-swingle007
@December 14, 2004, 8:36 AM

anyone have any thoughts on how the MMR will compare to the K&N? asthetics, performance, price? i looked on k&n's website but it doesn't seem like they had anything available.
Zero, K&N is in the process of making one right now. I just dropped off my car there yesterday so they can R&D the process. [/b][/quote]
that's awesome man. you'll have to let us know how it looks, run, sounds, once you get it back. did they give you any info on when it is supposed to be available?

i'm still curious what the difference is going to be between the annhilator from MMR and the K&N. especially since they both use one with an aluminum hose right?
Old 12/14/04, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by dallasw77@December 14, 2004, 10:07 AM

Zero, K&N is in the process of making one right now. I just dropped off my car there yesterday so they can R&D the process.
When you talk to them can you confirm that the performance increase is due to their product and not the removal of the HC trap?
Old 12/14/04, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Here's the MMR link for those interested in their intake...

www.modularmustangracing.com

Enjoy the intake and other great products!
Old 12/14/04, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by swingle007@December 14, 2004, 2:36 PM
John, the HC trap is just inside the rubber inlet next to your CAI unit.
Old 12/14/04, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks bullitman, as soon as I get it back from the paint place (having the rear end blacked out til Wednesday afternoon) I'll get in there and "magically" remove that trap. LOL Every little bit helps!
Old 12/14/04, 11:05 AM
bar
GT Member

When will some company market a "ram-air" type intake that is combined w/twin scoop replacement hood? That TB/manifold is begging for one, so why not?
:bang:
Old 12/14/04, 11:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by swingle007@December 14, 2004, 11:40 AM
Here's the MMR link for those interested in their intake...

Enjoy the intake and other great products!
Just making it an actual link to help out.

Old 12/14/04, 11:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, I just ordered the MMR intake kit. It should ship by the end of this week so I should get it by the end of next week. Another Xmas present for me
Old 12/14/04, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

They told me they will try to have their kit out by January. Officially they told me they have to leave the hydrocarbon trap in there so they will take a baseline dyno with all the stock stuff on there and then I believe a dyno with their kit with the hydrobarbon inside of it still (but I will ask to make sure). I will ask them to make sure what they do and what exactly is on the car when they make the dyno runs. He told me they can't release the dyno results of their kit until the kits made public so I won't have any dyno results with their kit on the car until later.
Old 12/14/04, 11:52 AM
FR500 Member

Just finished installing the MMR Intake Kit, the only "baffle" in the intake tube is the hydro carbon filter, which I had already removed.
Old 12/14/04, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by dallasw77@December 14, 2004, 12:41 PM
They told me they will try to have their kit out by January. Officially they told me they have to leave the hydrocarbon trap in there so they will take a baseline dyno with all the stock stuff on there and then I believe a dyno with their kit with the hydrobarbon inside of it still (but I will ask to make sure). I will ask them to make sure what they do and what exactly is on the car when they make the dyno runs. He told me they can't release the dyno results of their kit until the kits made public so I won't have any dyno results with their kit on the car until later.
out by january? that's not too bad. i'm looking forward to seeing the dyno info on both. does anyone have access to a shop to do an emissions test to see how much of a difference the HC trap makes as far as passing that test?

Old 12/14/04, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by dallasw77@December 14, 2004, 12:41 PM
Officially they told me they have to leave the hydrocarbon trap in there so they will take a baseline dyno with all the stock stuff on there and then I believe a dyno with their kit with the hydrobarbon inside of it still (but I will ask to make sure).
Any chance of them making and "unofficial" dyno without the HC filter to see any additional improvements. Especially since I think most of the people that will buy the kit have already removed their HC filter (err, I mean - have noticed that it fell out).
Old 12/14/04, 03:33 PM
FR500 Member

I have a appointment for Saturday to have the sct reflashed. Will get some numbers.

Quick Reply: MMR Intake kit