GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MMR finally releases a high flow intake tube...

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like this CAI do you have to reflash the computer for this setup? I would love this setup but to put out for the intake plus pred/Xcali
Old 6/10/05, 08:14 AM
FR500 Member

You definitely need a tune for it to work right, and for you to get the most out of it. Why even spend $350 if you aren't going to get all 30-35 RWHP? My advice is to save up and get the intake and XCalibrator package and get the high flow tube too. You'll spend $700 and get 50+ RWHP. Plus, have the opportunity to flash the computer when you get any future mods.
Old 6/10/05, 09:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by acadian@June 10, 2005, 9:17 AM
You definitely need a tune for it to work right, and for you to get the most out of it. Why even spend $350 if you aren't going to get all 30-35 RWHP? My advice is to save up and get the intake and XCalibrator package and get the high flow tube too. You'll spend $700 and get 50+ RWHP. Plus, have the opportunity to flash the computer when you get any future mods.
50+RWHP with a tune and intake??? That's about roughly 20 rwhp high.
Old 6/10/05, 10:35 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@June 10, 2005, 10:03 AM
50+RWHP with a tune and intake??? That's about roughly 20 rwhp high.
I mean with the high flow tube as well.

The MMR complete intake kit with high flow tube will get you 35 HP alone. The SCT XCalibrator will get you 25 HP alone. Seperately that is 60 HP. Take into account the percentage lost when you add them together (plus or minus 20%) and you get close to 50 HP.
Old 6/10/05, 11:03 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acadian, according to MMR 35rwhp is achived with their complete kit including the SCT tune. You won't get 50rwhp out of it. The kit alone, without a tune will only fetch you 7-15rwhp.
Old 6/10/05, 11:14 AM
FR500 Member

I just looked at their site again and it is 35 RWHP just for the intake kit w/ tube. No tune. It actually says at the bottom "The MMR kit provides great gains with no other changes but for optimum performance an MMR tune is recommended". So, I am guessing that they mean you can get 35 RWHP with the intake kit and having the XCalibrator tune for that specifically, as in the MAF sensor size. But, getting the XCalibrator and tuning your car in general, for things like A/F ratio, shift points, timing, etc... will get you more HP on top of that. My guess is close to another 15.
Old 6/10/05, 11:17 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I spoke to MMR about this before ordering the tube and that is what they told me. 35rwhp is with the tune.

On their site notice the little * after the 35rwhp and that relates to the note about the tune. The MMR Annihilator Power Package gains 31rwhp without the tube so actually the tube will only give you another 4rwhp at most.
Old 6/10/05, 12:06 PM
FR500 Member

Talk about misleading. They show 31 HP with the intake (no tube) and SCT and have the picture there of the XCalibrator. Then, they show 35 HP for the intake with the tube, but don't show the SCT, and that package doesn't even come with the SCT. So, how can they say it gains 35 HP if that's with the tune but they do not sell the tune with it? I guess that's where the fine print come into play. I just don't like that mentality. It's like they are trying to make you believe it gains more than it does.

John, when will you be getting your tube? And when you get it, make sure to post on whether or not you can feel a difference. I don't want to spend $130 plus shipping for 4 HP. I got that from taking my HC trap out for free.

Edit: Can a tube like that actually produce a measly 4 HP. I mean, MMR has been developing it for months. And now it gains 4 HP? I thought these tubes were made of some sort of material that doesn't retain heat, therefore letting cooler air into the engine. As well as the fact that it's straighter and let's more air in.
Old 6/10/05, 12:31 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I know what you mean. So much fine print, so little time. I will definately post pics and reviews once I get it. It went in for paint today (according to MMR). However when I get it I will be getting it repainted as well as the MAF section to match the car (sonic blue). They said they would ship it out on Tuesday or Wednesday. I should have it for the weekend. If I get it before the weekend I will drop it off to get painted and install it the week after. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit: I am getting it for 2 reasons and neither are for hp.
1. For the looks. I have got to start working on dressing up the engine bay. It is a lot cheaper than exterior mods, and easier to hide from my wife
2. For a more sturdy system to hold the air filter. The factory tube is very flimsy and I want to get that tube out of there. The new one will not rest against the radiator hose.
Old 6/10/05, 01:05 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@June 10, 2005, 12:09 PM

Edit: Can a tube like that actually produce a measly 4 HP. I mean, MMR has been developing it for months. And now it gains 4 HP? I thought these tubes were made of some sort of material that doesn't retain heat, therefore letting cooler air into the engine. As well as the fact that it's straighter and let's more air in.
4HP sounds about right. In the past, a friend of mine did a lot of testing on intake tubes and basically came to the conclusion they do not provide large increases in HP over the stock tubes (unless the stock tubes are terrible restrictive which ours aren't). The heat issue isn't really as big as a problem as people make it out to be. The air runs through the intake tube so quicky it really wouldn't have a chance to heat up enough to accept HP numbers.
Old 6/10/05, 01:08 PM
Retired Tms Staff

the main difference I see between the 2 is the stock tube has several "ribs" in it that can slow down air travel a bit whereas the MMR tube is just straigh thinwall steel so really the air should flow alot smoother.
Old 6/10/05, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Guys,

I have said it before and I say it again, the majority of the HP increases come form the tune and removing the carbon trap. The CAI usually add about 5-10hp on top of the tune.

A good tune and removing the carbon trap is usually good for 20-25hp alone. I personally watched a custom dyno tune and removing the carbon trap add 27hp to an 05....

However, 35hp gain with a tune and CAI is an excellent boost for the money....

However, I am still leaning tword the Alternative Auto Tune and C & L CAI.....
Old 6/10/05, 02:52 PM

Edit: I am getting it for 2 reasons and neither are for hp.
1. For the looks. I have got to start working on dressing up the engine bay. It is a lot cheaper than exterior mods, and easier to hide from my wife
2. For a more sturdy system to hold the air filter. The factory tube is very flimsy and I want to get that tube out of there. The new one will not rest against the radiator hose.
[/quote]

I'm pretty much getting it for the same reason. Well, There isn't any issues with the Steeda coming off, but I'd like to dress it up a bit. I won't complain about an extra 4hp either. I'll be getting a 90MM MAF Monday as well. This should add roughly 4-6 hp as well.
Old 6/11/05, 06:35 AM
Retired Tms Staff

David, I'll see if I can get a second one but even if I can it might not make sense for you to get it from me because I am in Canada and by the time it gets shipped to you it would have cost more than if you ordered one directly from MMR.
Old 6/11/05, 07:15 AM

I didn't even think about you being up there. I appreciate it!! And if there is anyone else that would like to buy a second tube for "themselves" so they could get it "painted", just let me know.
Thanks
Old 6/21/05, 02:57 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Got the tube today and installed it. I will post pics later. For those of you waiting for the tube here is some install notes you should know. You no longer use the braket mount at the end of the air filter. The air filter no longer gets bolted to the body. It is a little tricky to get it fitted right but needless to say the tube just kinda sits there, resting between the valve cover and power steering reservoir. I hope it doesn't have any issues with coming loose. I'd better carry a screwdriver around with me just incase.
Old 6/21/05, 05:47 PM

Finally they are done with it? Guess I have been too busy racing and not enough time searching the net. I will be getting it and hopefully BBK throttle body in time for NMRA in Kansas City.
Old 6/21/05, 05:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 169stang@June 10, 2005, 2:55 PM
I'm pretty much getting it for the same reason. Well, There isn't any issues with the Steeda coming off, but I'd like to dress it up a bit. I won't complain about an extra 4hp either. I'll be getting a 90MM MAF Monday as well. This should add roughly 4-6 hp as well.
That is exactly why I got the C&L intake tube for mine. Sent it out to a friend for a polish job. It takes a little tweaking to mate up with the Steeda CAI, but if it gives an extra 4hp or so I can certainly live with the tweaking.

Have you talked to Steeda yet about the 90MM MAF? Are they going to sell it separately? I looked on their web site today and didn't see anything about it. How much? How long on a tune?
Old 6/21/05, 06:08 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally! A product w/ the looks and features of JLT w/ the quality of C&L.
Old 6/21/05, 07:14 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Well here are some pics. Pretty crappy because it is dark outside so I had to take these in the garage. You will see how the pipe rests on the power steering fluid reservoir.

Quick Reply: MMR finally releases a high flow intake tube...