GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mikronite on 4.10's?

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/05, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sup guys, I have my 4.10 ring and pinion and I was interested in a company called Mikronite...they polish and coat the gears to reduce friction and heat and apparently it gains 7-9whp and 6-10 ft lbs of torque from reducing drivetrain losses. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

http://mikronite.com/dyno.asp

http://mikronite.com/flashRoot.asp
Old 10/28/05, 10:17 PM
Cobra Member

I've seen the same type of advertising but I doubt its really all that worth it.

The way I see it, if it was really worth it, you would already see it used in the aftermarket.

-Dan
Old 10/28/05, 11:07 PM

That is more along the lines of splitting hairs. The guys that are doing that are the same guys that are dieting for race season! The cost/benefit is not there for most here, including me!
Old 10/29/05, 06:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think 5.0 magazine or somebody did a writeup on this topic recently. I doubt you will get much power from this. I could see the website numbers, but I'm suspicious. Total losses for a rearend is probably 2 percent of crank HP. If you make 300 hp at the crank, you'll lose maybe 6 hp because of the rearend. You will still have some loss with Mikronite, maybe 1 percent or 3 HP. So a stock Mustang GT should maybe get 3 HP. I think this is for a professional trying to get an edge in a close race. Mikronite is suppose to make the gear much stronger, all most double. I think it costs around $200 to Mikronite a set of gears. If you're going to swap a set, it couldn't hurt.
Old 10/29/05, 09:06 AM
V6 Member

I'd think that the HP claims would include getting the transmission polished too, not just the diff, the diff just doesn't consume enough power.

Personally I don't really see how this system could add (save) power, the problem is that gears (even polished ones) wear into each other. So in the case of new un-polished gears the friction areas would be worn away pretty quickly, and in the case of polished gears all the smooth areas will be worn away pretty quickly. The end result is the same. It might stay polished for a few dyno runs, but for a daily driver I would guess that all the polished contact areas will be worn off after the first week of commuting.

However I can definitly see how they would strengthen the gears by removing any force multipliers on the surface.