GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Maybe this is the cure for trumpets!

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/06, 07:46 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Maybe this is the cure for trumpets!

I found this article on Alternative Auto Performance website.

This is a setup made by Lidio's.

This is link to the actual page: http://www.alternativeauto.com/water...texhaustupdate

"The reason we installed resonators in the exhaust is that I've decided that 05 Mustangs are going to be much louder than we've been accustomed to because of the mufflers being located all the way in the back of the car without any tail pipes to help reduce or cancel some noise.

We've already listened to several 05’s that have other types of mufflers and exhaust systems and are starting to believe that a lot of these other set ups have for a lack of better words - a disgusting, poppy, frappy sound that's just plain too loud for most people.

It must be noted though that the sound that this new and unique system produces is very different. It has a deep big block type sound at all rpms and loads."
__________________________________________________ ___________________

We all know that the trumpets are caused by the lack of restriction. The proof is that if you remove the cats it will trumpet no matter what setup you use.
Well having this type of muffler/resonator will certainly cause restriction but it remains very straight trough. I am not saying here to remove the mufflers you have. But ratter to ad up the resonator.

Cost:$33.88

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

So anyway tell me what you think?
Old 7/29/06, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have been wondering about that, what the car would sound like it yo had mufflers farther upstream in the exhaust, I have never had a car that had the muffler so close to the rear!
Old 7/29/06, 11:19 AM
GT Member

I think I will one of the first to try it. It's a bit annoying the trumpets!
Old 7/29/06, 02:27 PM
GT Member

I made an experiment this afternoon. I put back the stock mufflers on. Well get a hold of this the F****G trumpets are still there but not as loud because they are so muffed.

All of that to say that Lidio's setup with the resonator seem to make lot of sense. Right now with the o/r pipe no cats and the stock mufflers I'm quite convince that if I would put a resonator on the trumpets would be gone.
Old 7/29/06, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
OK, I've said it in other posts but some people haven't read them, and other people don't want to spend the money on "a pair of mufflers"..........

If you want to get rid of trumpeting when using an offroad pipe, or atleast an offroad H pipe like I'm running, go with CORSA mufflers. I had Bassani's with the o/r H........very noticeable trumpeting. Stock mufflers? VERY noticeable trumpeting. Corsa's? No trumpeting. WOT with this setup is awesome! The only downfall I have with stock manifolds, offroad H, and Corsa's is that sometimes the system is too loud for my liking. It gets alot of attention, that's for sure. Only sometimes the attention is not the kind that you would like to get.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 7/29/06, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom281
OK, I've said it in other posts but some people haven't read them, and other people don't want to spend the money on "a pair of mufflers"..........

If you want to get rid of trumpeting when using an offroad pipe, or atleast an offroad H pipe like I'm running, go with CORSA mufflers. I had Bassani's with the o/r H........very noticeable trumpeting. Stock mufflers? VERY noticeable trumpeting. Corsa's? No trumpeting. WOT with this setup is awesome! The only downfall I have with stock manifolds, offroad H, and Corsa's is that sometimes the system is too loud for my liking. It gets alot of attention, that's for sure. Only sometimes the attention is not the kind that you would like to get.

Thanks,

Tom

FWIW, trumpeting was negated on my exhaust set-up with both Bassanis and Magnaflows.
Old 7/29/06, 04:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys-

Read posts #95 & #96 in this thread: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...hlight=trumpet

Try this like Don did and try it with your 02 sensor holes open, maybe it will work for you. And Don, if you remember, it was my suggestion to you to try the Bassanis way back when...... lol, its true but you probably don't remember. They were much better than any other mufflers that I tried, except what I'm running now.

Anyway, if someone is running an offroad H with factory manifolds and hate the trumpeting, Corsa will eliminate it while having your O2 sensors in the pipe and holes filled.

Lastly, no I don't work for Corsa (long time Borla fan here, but not on the S197 body style). And no, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just trying to help people get rid of the friggin' TRUMPETING!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 7/29/06, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol... for what it's worth, I'm getting rid of the Bassanis now, and putting Magnaflows back on. I need to quiet the car down some... it's time to be a little more discreet on the street. Besides, if i want loud (and I mean really LOUD), all I have to do is flick a switch and open the cutouts.
Old 7/29/06, 04:48 PM
GT Member

See the thing is that I like the sound of the Borlas and the o/r pipe but the trumpet are annoying in the mid range rpm. So I'm trying to find a solution to this mess. And also the aftermarket manufacturers must know these things. It would be nice if someone out there could give us a straight answer. I dont think that people should have to trade their system for that trumpetting sound.
Old 7/29/06, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Would someone please post a clip of what they consider 'trumpets'..

The description in the first post said 'frappy' and I like that sound. I think i'll just record a clip
Old 7/29/06, 06:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by atomic_il

The description in the first post said 'frappy' and I like that sound. I think i'll just record a clip
I think this more like it "FRAPPY" high pitch sound.

I will find a clip!
Old 7/29/06, 06:35 PM
GT Member

This is the clip, if you listen when he is about at 2500 rpm you can ear it. this little raspy sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9ylV3VL3Q
Old 7/29/06, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by don_w
lol... for what it's worth, I'm getting rid of the Bassanis now, and putting Magnaflows back on. I need to quiet the car down some... it's time to be a little more discreet on the street. Besides, if i want loud (and I mean really LOUD), all I have to do is flick a switch and open the cutouts.
Having those cutouts must be awesome!
Old 7/29/06, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by RACING GT
This is the clip, if you listen when he is about at 2500 rpm you can ear it. this little raspy sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9ylV3VL3Q
Yep, that's them......... You can tell though that the faster you can accelerate thru that RPM range, the less you notice them.
Old 7/29/06, 06:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok this video is 27mb (sorry for size, but it's 2006... get a broadband connection already)

The wah-wah-wah-wah ish sound when i drive by the little storage hut is just because of the way it echo'd. It doesn't do that in a tunnel or parking garage

http://andyman82.com/files/trumpets.mpg
right click save as or just click it

it is started windows up, then right before it goes into drive the windows go down. dang i shoulda used the remote start
Old 7/29/06, 06:57 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Yep, that's them......... You can tell though that the faster you can accelerate thru that RPM range, the less you notice them.
Also I notice that if you go slow thru the range you dont notice it at all.
That make me think that the depression of the gases release at that point is to fast for what the tube can take and that is why you get that funny sound. So I dont know about this but when the stock cats are on it wont do it and I dont think it's because of the restriction comming from it but ratter that it's disperse into some kind of a canister, what we call resonator. If the restriction would be the effect all you have to do is to shrink the pipe some how and it would be solved. But I will tell you if you reduce that pipe it will scream like you never heard before.
Old 7/29/06, 07:02 PM
GT Member

Ok this video is 27mb (sorry for size, but it's 2006... get a broadband connection already)

The wah-wah-wah-wah ish sound when i drive by the little storage hut is just because of the way it echo'd. It doesn't do that in a tunnel or parking garage

http://andyman82.com/files/trumpets.mpg
right click save as or just click it

it is started windows up, then right before it goes into drive the windows go down. dang i shoulda used the remote start
When you are at about 2800 in the video near the lockers you can ear it very well.
Old 7/29/06, 07:04 PM
GT Member

Jordan did you get the Borla's yet?
Old 7/29/06, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I think it sounds good. Gives it some character. I am thinking about putting an off road xpipe on though, and i think it will make the whole exhaust sound a little bit higher pitched. opinions?
Old 7/29/06, 07:15 PM
GT Member

What kind of driving do you do? When I drive like a slow poke and I get in the range for the trumpets I think it's annoying! See mine is automatic and maybe it's worse but when it will shift you can ear it and when it's done shifting it fall right back in to the range. So either you have to drive slow or you have to cross the range fast.

Quick Reply: Maybe this is the cure for trumpets!