GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Manually shifting an auto tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/05, 03:02 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great read, Purple Hayz. Here is a small portion that sums it all up...

"While many drivers are timid about using anything other than drive, doing so is not only safe, it's effective in making your car perform better. In fact, we're now seeing many manufacturers provide combination automatic transmissions that encourage drivers to use the upshift and downshift capabilities of their automatic transmissions."

"And if you are a sports-car or manual-shift kind of person, don't despair. Even if you feel like you are forced to buy a car with an automatic transmission, either because of the hassles of using a manual in stop-and-go traffic or because your spouse prefers one, you can still be an active participant in your daily driving experience. Shifting your automatic in certain situations will help you put a little more fun back into it."
Old 3/15/05, 03:11 PM
Cobra Member

I have been wanting to try starting out in "D", letting it shift into 2nd and 3rd and then pulling it back into "3" to hold 3rd longer... The 1-2 and 2-3 seem to hold the gear pretty well but the 3-4 seems a bit premature...
Old 3/15/05, 03:34 PM
Jim

Originally posted by acadian@March 15, 2005, 3:30 PM
I would have got a manual, but my wife shares the car with me and she refuses to learn how to drive one. Plus, I do 99% city stop&go driving. There is nothing wrong with this auto at all. I love it... just might feel the need to go through the gears myself once ina while. And thanks for all the info.

Exactly the same for me. But I was very impressed by the good performance of this auto. Best I've ever had in a muscle car. Really not sorry about not buying a manual now.

Jim
Old 3/15/05, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

My 99 is an auto, and i manual shift it all the time! It's got 180,000 miles on it, and still going strong, so i think you guys are ok... lol. and when going into drive it'll go into the next appropriate gear, not anything weird. I've accidently knocked it straight from 1st to drive before and skipped over 2nd and it still went into 2nd.

I do it during stop to hard acceleration because if i don't it shifts from 1st to 2nd at like 2,500 rpms. lame.
Old 3/15/05, 03:53 PM
FR500 Member

Great to hear stories from guys who actually have real-time experience. This is definitely good to know... both for me and all auto drivers. Good to know that you can stay in the lower gears a little longer if you want to. First, and especially second gears go by so quick when it is in D.
Old 3/15/05, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

well since you dont believe me that you will fvck up your tranny ill just add one other thing here....regardless of whether or not you think you are manually shifting your auto or not, you dont manually shift it.....even if you try the transmission/computer still has control over when to shift the tranny!....lets say for intstance you put the car in "1"floor it till about 4-4500rpms then shift to "2" if you are at wot the tranny wont shift untill it hits the predetermined wot shift point and if you keep in in "1" to long you may blow the engine or actaully run slower due to over reving!...the computer is smarter and faster they you can ever hope to be...put it in "d" and put the pedal to the floor!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 3/15/05, 04:10 PM
FR500 Member

I think I'll trust the instructor at a high performance racing school over you, but I appreciate the advice. I understand the transmission will control the shifting to a certain point, so that you don't do anything stupid. But with all the members here saying that they have manually shifted an auto before, I am pretty sure that if you start out in "1" and then manually move the shifter to "2" you will go into second gear as long as you have it in the high RPM's.
Old 3/15/05, 04:13 PM
FR500 Member

If you are at wot the tranny wont shift untill it hits the predetermined wot shift point and if you keep in in "1" to long you may blow the engine or actaully run slower due to over reving!
Wrong, it will shift when YOU want it too. The computer only controls shifting when in "D". Try it you'll see.

The rev limiter will prevent you from blowing an engine.
Old 3/15/05, 04:17 PM

I say get her out there and manually shift away. I think you'll know if it doesn't feel or sound right. I'll talk to my guy at Smokin Racing about it. He has a manual as well. He is also the one who wrote the Diablo tune for them. He's constantly working on the program for the Diablo. He also races older ponies. He has a 10 second car that is purdy. Anyways, I'll inquire about it with him!
Old 3/15/05, 06:47 PM
V6 Member

Shift away man. Thats why they put the handle there with the 1, 2, 3 next to it. Dragged raced many automatics in the past.
Also, it is fun when on the street and someone is giving you a little challenge signal, to drop down a gear (being careful not to throw passenger in to window). Looks and sounds cool and when the head nods you will not have the lag of a down shift.
Old 3/15/05, 07:04 PM
FR500 Member

Rob, can you elaborate on dropping down a gear with the auto?
Old 3/15/05, 07:07 PM
FR500 Member

Did that on a "Fartpipe Special" Civic today. Admittedly it was a nicely done one

But that fart can was totally obnoxious, made a bunch of noise but really didn't go anywhere.

I let him hear real power
Old 3/15/05, 07:19 PM

What's amazing to me is how, in one Thread, there is such adverse opinions about one subject matter! It's been to both extremes. Do it and you'll be replacing the tranny....Have at it, it's a load of fun and won't hurt. What causes these differences in opinions? Is if fact vs. opinion? Is is experience vs. speculation?
Old 3/15/05, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 15, 2005, 5:16 PM
If you are at wot the tranny wont shift untill it hits the predetermined wot shift point and if you keep in in "1" to long you may blow the engine or actaully run slower due to over reving!
Wrong, it will shift when YOU want it too. The computer only controls shifting when in "D". Try it you'll see.

umm no ive driven many auto's and every single one when shifting "manually still shifts when it wants to after upshifting! you go try it smart azz
Old 3/15/05, 07:33 PM
FR500 Member

So have I Shane, and I also drive the one we're actually talking about.... you don't.
Old 3/15/05, 07:34 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 169stang@March 15, 2005, 7:22 PM
Is if fact vs. opinion? Is is experience vs. speculation?
Both
Old 3/15/05, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by slegos888+March 15, 2005, 9:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slegos888 @ March 15, 2005, 9:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SixtySix@March 15, 2005, 5:16 PM

umm no ive driven many auto's and every single one when shifting "manually still shifts when it wants to after upshifting! you go try it smart azz
[/b][/quote]

I have to agree with this, AT LEAST ON CERTAIN CARS. My Taurus will do what it wants. It will upshift when it wants, even if I go manual 1, 2, 3. If the trans isn't going to shift (at WOT), it won't just because I move the shifter. Same for downshifting. It will downshift from 3rd to 2nd manually at 45 mph, but it locks out 1st untill 10 mph or less.

Also, it reacts so slow, there is no point in manually upshifting. If I try to hold it in second, then shift before redline, it will hit redline long before it actually shifts (in manual 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, it will not upshift beyond that gear). Stupid POS. The rev limiter stinks. I like to put it in 2nd sometimes, so I can use engine braking instead of having to hit the brakes all the time. Like, when I know I am going to accelerate, then brake very soon. It comes in handy when I'm racing around corner to corner.

The other thing I do is put it in manual 1st if I'm going to launch hard. Something nobody has mentioned is the fact that the transmission uses a different method of applying the gear in manual 1st and 2nd. At least in auto first, the gear is held by a one-way clutch, and in manual 1st, it is held by a band or clutch. So, the safest way to launch hard is in manual 1st. Otherwise, you can detonate that weak one-way clutch.

But here is where damage can be done. Do not leave it in manual first for an extended period. While in manual 1st, the transmission goes to a high line pressure to reduce slip, so an extended time can heat the oil and pump, and put unneeded wear and tear on the clutches, bands, ect.

I have some experience with transmissions, and have rebuilt about a half dozen different ones. My info may be a little out of date, but should still be 90% true.
Old 3/15/05, 07:46 PM
GT Member

If you are manually shifting the automatic, when is the best time to shift into the next gear? When the RPMs begin to redline? I never even considered using thos 1, 2, 3 gears on my GT but now all this talk is interesting me.
Old 3/15/05, 07:49 PM
FR500 Member

I think the point is we are talking about manually shifting the '05 Mustang auto. So, as Tony (66) has sad, he has experience with this particular car. So, Tony, basically you just shifted down a gear so that the engine would rev at a higher RPM making it louder?
Old 3/15/05, 08:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Yep OLE Tony drives it like he stole it. All one has to do is read his postings. You must keep in mind that not all people posting here own or have driven a 05 Stang and the are full of WAGs (Wild A--S Guess)
Case in point saying the side air bags are in the door. WRONG

Quick Reply: Manually shifting an auto tranny...