GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

making exhaust a bit louder, keeping cats.

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/07, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Error404
well I'm not going to run with out cat's, that much I know I'd love to (always have in the past in previous states) but I don't want to chance it, I hear it's a pretty big fine.
http://mrt-direct.com/
Maybe you can give them a try. Ive never done buisness with them myself, but Ive heard they are reliable , and they have a pretty good deal on a hi-flo catted h-pipe.
Old 4/26/07, 07:32 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Some will tell you LT's will also but if you run cats with them it won't help that much.
I beg to differ on that one! My longtube setup with a catted H-pipe got quite a bit louder than it was previously.

But if he's in California and doesn't want to change them out in 2011 when his emissions are due, then longtubes aren't for him.
Old 4/27/07, 01:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
http://mrt-direct.com/
Maybe you can give them a try. Ive never done buisness with them myself, but Ive heard they are reliable , and they have a pretty good deal on a hi-flo catted h-pipe.
Anyone else have opitions on the MRT H-pipe with cats? For the sound that I like, I think an X-pipe would probably be to raw sounding? Or would it go well with a chambered muffler?
Old 4/27/07, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SixtySix
I beg to differ on that one! My longtube setup with a catted H-pipe got quite a bit louder than it was previously.

But if he's in California and doesn't want to change them out in 2011 when his emissions are due, then longtubes aren't for him.
Are you comparing it to the stock exhaust with cats and then going to LT's with high flow cats? If so I can believe it got a lot louder. A local guy had been running a off road H pipe with Borla's for a year or so. He than went to LT's with no cats and was unhappy that it didn't sound much different. The stock cats act just like a muffler in my opinion. High flow cats would be somewhat louder.
Scott
Old 4/27/07, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

As far as switching mufflers goes, you may want to consider the Borla / FRPP, as others have said. Although they DO drone, it really depends on you as the driver whether it's tolerable or not. Personally, I've had the Steeda axle-back (exact same as the Borla / FRPP) on my car for about 3 weeks now, and when I drive it now, I can barely tell that it's there. For the first couple of days the drone was kind of annoying, but I'm so used to it at this point that I'm considering opening my exhaust up a bit more. Then again, I usually drive by myself, with both windows down and the radio up, so consider your driving conditions / environment as well.

Just saying, don't discount the Borlas / FRPP because everyone talks about drone, it's really not that bad.
Old 4/27/07, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by titanjc
As far as switching mufflers goes, you may want to consider the Borla / FRPP, as others have said. Although they DO drone, it really depends on you as the driver whether it's tolerable or not. Personally, I've had the Steeda axle-back (exact same as the Borla / FRPP) on my car for about 3 weeks now, and when I drive it now, I can barely tell that it's there. For the first couple of days the drone was kind of annoying, but I'm so used to it at this point that I'm considering opening my exhaust up a bit more. Then again, I usually drive by myself, with both windows down and the radio up, so consider your driving conditions / environment as well.

Just saying, don't discount the Borlas / FRPP because everyone talks about drone, it's really not that bad.
Thats is my thought exactly. The drone doesnt bother me at all. Its been over a year since I installed the stingers, and Ive never looked back.