GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Magnaflow X-Pipe Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/05, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my x-pipe for probably 4 months now, and when I first had it installed, I noticed a "ticking" kind of noise when under load at lower rpms. I saw in an earlier post, someone mentioned the same problem. I am also get a vibration right around the trim and dash around the shifter. Any suggestions? Any idea what the ticking/clicking noise could be? Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10/13/05, 09:09 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Exhaust leaks commonly sound like a ticking noise. That would be the first thing to check.
Old 10/13/05, 11:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the exact same problem. First, that ticking sound or locus sound is normal for x-pipes. The magnaflow x-pipe just make that sound particularly loud. I also had the vibration in the dash at certain RPMs under a load. The main problem is that the cats are extremely close to the body. These problems annoyed me so much I decided to go with Bassani, which quieted the ticking sound way down.

I know that you are looking for a solution but unfortunately, I don't have one since the Magnaflow x-pipe has no room for adjustment. The only thing you can do is try to make sure the heat shielding is as far away from the cats as possible.

Magnaflow kind of dropped the ball on this x-pipe

If you can afford it, I highly recommend Bassani.
Old 10/13/05, 02:13 PM

Ryan,
I would go with the Bassani, but does it make the ride any louder?? I don't want to increase the noise level, or any drone. Is it similar to the quality of the magnaflow (performance wise).
Old 10/13/05, 03:44 PM
GT Member

Hey guys- Magnaflow here-

Magnaflow has released two X pipes for this vehicle-

We designed the first based on a preproduction car, and a second when we realized they made changes on the preproduciton cars-

The first generation of X pipes had heat shields on them, the second do not-

so my first question will be- do you have heat shields on your Magnalfow X pipe?

Also- the ticking is an exhaust leak- most common place is where the X pipe connects to the exhaust manifolds-

Sometimes you will need to loosen and retighten the X here several times before the ticking is gone- making sure youwhen you are working on each side- say the drivers, you work each bolt a little bit at a time-

If you tighten one bolt too much before tightening the other, it can cause the flanges to not be in alignment resulting in the ticking noise you speak of-

The ticking noise is NOT normal for an X pipe-

I have the Magnaflow X pipe on all 3 of my cars and there is no ticking-

If you would like to speak to a live person, please feel free to contact the Magnaflow tech line at 1-800-990-0905-

Thanks
Brent
Magnaflow Performance
Old 10/14/05, 06:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I stand corrected with the ticking sound. I think we were thinking of 2 different things. A distinct tick from up front is probably a leak.
I got my Magnaflow x-pipe from RPM Outlet and I asked them if I got the 2nd gen x-pipe and they told me that I did. I got it in late August and they said that they only had the new ones. I had a thread on here with a picture but I can't find it now. Not sure how old they let threads get before deleting them.

I adjusted that x-pipe several times loosening and retightening trying to get those cats away from the body and couldn't. I even took it to a Mustang shop and they said there was nothing they could do short of bending the pipe.

I ended up having to pay $80 shipping to ship it back to RPM Outlet and get the Bassani.

RudyUD
The Bassani x-pipe is just a little bit louder that the Magnaflow x-pipe as long as you leave the cats on. If you choose straight pipe, it screams.
Old 10/14/05, 06:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Another vote for the Bassani x-pipe here. I have it and love it. No ticking sound. Only thing I hear slightly like a ticking is when the car is off and you are underneith it you can hear the expanding/contracting of the system when it is hot.