GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Mac o/r Pro Chamber vs Pypes o/r H-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 2/21/07, 07:34 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Mac o/r Pro Chamber vs Pypes o/r H-pipe

Hey guys, I plan on purchasing the GTA axle backs but need some advice as to which off road H pipe would produce the best performance and sound to go with them ? thanks
Old 2/21/07, 07:39 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd take the mac for sound, don't know about performance.
Old 2/21/07, 07:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had them both on my car. As far as performance, I've no clue. But what I can tell you is that the Prochamber is much deeper than the H pipe. Much deeper. So it really depends on how deep of a sound you are looking for and how loud you want it. There of course the H pipe yielded much louder notes than the Prochamber. If you are interested in a Prochamber, I've got one I would sell you for cheap.
Old 2/21/07, 10:52 PM
Former Vendor

The H Pipe is going to probably yield a few more ponies on the butt dyno. We're talking about 2-3 horses, maybe a little more. Not a huge difference, but the prochamber will have a deeper sound, like mentioned above. I like the loud, raspy, droning, trumpeting, metallic, backfires, but most on here don't care for them. That's why I'm partial to X Pipes, but I sell more Pypes O/R h-pipes because they sound alot cleaner.
Old 2/22/07, 12:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

That is odd....I had a o/r prochamber with flows, and i got rid of it because it was too raspy and high pitched. I now am running an o/r h-pipe and it is much deeper with the flows.
Old 2/22/07, 01:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
+1......

To be honest I haven't tried the prochamber myself, but from what I've heard it is higher-pitched compared to the offroad H. Guess it depends on the individual
Old 2/22/07, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor

Depends on the other mods on the car. Whether they're using a chambered muffler, or a glass pack style, etc. Engine mods even make a SLIGHT difference, until you start getting into cams and all which obviously completely changes the idle, and exhaust flows.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/22/07, 10:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

I am sure mine had a much different tone, as my Prochambr was run with longtubes, and now that I recall, the H pipe was run with factory manifolds. One thing I did notice though was that the headers did tone the exhaust down pretty decently. Either way, the Prochamber would still be deeper than the H pipe.
Old 2/22/07, 10:51 PM

Are you referring to deeper than the stock H or off road H as well
Old 2/22/07, 10:58 PM

The sound I'm looking for is deeper and just a bit louder than stock but not loud to the point where they drone..So in your honest opinions ? would I better off pairing the GTA's with the Mac pro chamber or the Pypes off road H
Old 2/23/07, 05:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
Depends on the other mods on the car. Whether they're using a chambered muffler, or a glass pack style, etc.
You are right. I ran both factory mufflers along with flows on my o/r prochamber. The combination of both the prochamber and the chambered flows, made it a lot more raspy and higher pitched. With the factory mufflers it didnt sound too bad at all, but I am a diehard flowmaster guy. The prochamber gives it kind of a long tube header sound with the factory mufflers, in my opinion.
Old 2/23/07, 08:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

The offroad Prochamber was much deeper than the offroad H pipe.
Old 2/23/07, 09:10 PM

So in your opinion, if I were to pair either the GTA's or flowmasters along with the Mac prochamber ? would there be drone involved or less drone with an off road H I definitely do not want drone at all, if possible...
Old 2/23/07, 09:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've no experience the the Flows or the GTAs, but with the Prochamber I experienced just a little cabin drone. It was nothing bad. The only time I have ever heard the GTAs was on a guys stock GT, and I could hardly tell a difference between them and the stock mufflers. They were a tad louder, but not incredibly much. That was only at idle though, I did not get to hear it during acceleration. Check around in the For Sale section, there may be some Flows or GTAs you could pick up for cheap. I've bought plenty of exhaust parts through this forum!
Old 2/23/07, 09:21 PM

The reason for my concern is Holeshot stated that when using the prochamber with flowmasters or chambered mufflers he experienced more of a raspy and high pitched sound instead of being deeper and from my understanding ? the GTA's are also considered as a chambered muffler..
Old 2/23/07, 09:27 PM
GT Member

I've run offroad H and offroad prochamber with my stock mufflers, and I love the sound the prochamber gives me. Not obnoxiously loud, but definitely lets people hear it if I open 'er up...

- it is a louder and deeper sound with the stock mufflers, not sure with others.
Old 2/23/07, 09:28 PM

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong and instead should try out just the pro chamber or off road H with the stock mufflers first
Old 2/23/07, 09:31 PM
Former Vendor

I love how the prochamber sounds with flows. It's not raspy, and has a great tone at idle. I have only had great experiences there. I stock both for a reason!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/23/07, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 96vert
I've run offroad H and offroad prochamber with my stock mufflers, and I love the sound the prochamber gives me. Not obnoxiously loud, but definitely lets people hear it if I open 'er up...

- it is a louder and deeper sound with the stock mufflers, not sure with others.
Have you experienced drone with either the prochamber or off road H with the stock mufflers ?
Old 2/23/07, 09:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Chambered mufflers, when paired with something that increases exhaust flow, will produce a tinny/raspy sound. I've no idea how the physics behind that works, but every chambered muffler I tried did just that. However, even straight through mufflers will do it, but NOWHERE near as bad as chambered ones. My Violators I have now make that sound, but its only when I have my foot BURIED in the floorboard. And its also a lot to do with my X pipe.

I think your best best option would be to try the GTAs and a Prochamber. They're more of a straight through design than the Flows, and the raspy sound will be minimal, if any. But! This is a 100% guesstimate. From what I have experienced, the straighter through the exhaust will flow, the less raspiness there is. I say that as a precaution because I've no experience with GTAs, I've just seen their design and am basing my assumption on my experience. I could be dead wrong too.

Have you thought about trying the MAC mufflers with a Prochamber? There are some video clips floating around here somewhere of a guy with that setup, and it sounds niiiice

Quick Reply: Mac o/r Pro Chamber vs Pypes o/r H-pipe