GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MAC Exhaust Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/05, 07:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In July I purchased a set of SLP Loudmouth Axle-Back Exhaust, I ran them for a few months
and they were just to loud for a daily driver, So I sold them and bought a set of MAC Axle-Back
Exhaust and I love the Deep tone when starting and at idle, and they are perfect tone at WOT
but Dam that DRONE at 1700 -2000 RPM is so bad my ears bleed. I get cruising at 1900rpm on
the highway at 55 - 65 and the car viberates so bad it buzzes, you know like the guys with the
10 12" subs in the trunk that cause all cars mirrors in a square mile to viberate.

I am seriously thinking about selling these too I can't stand the noise....
will the mufflers break-in and tone down? or is this life in the aftermarket muffler world ?

Is there any other exhaust that have a great low tone with out the drone.
or should I install high flow cats + xpipe with stock mufflers, would this make the stock
exhaust louder and lower tone?
Old 10/21/05, 07:59 PM
FR500 Member

lol lucky!! i want the loudest thing possible
Old 10/21/05, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Don't get me wrong, I liked the SLP's they sound awsome, But one night I was coming home from work and they closed down 66 in Manassas VA and they were detouring all traffic onto rt 29, well Cops everywhere directing traffic, eating donuts ( kidding) but I hit the accelerator a bit hard since I was late and frustrated sitting in traffic, So thge donut eating cop ( kidding) pulled me over and gave me a ticket. Exhaust was too loud,

So it was my fault for puching it around the corner next to a donut eating cop ( kidding) oh and since when do police carry db meters around?
this guy had all the tools, Tint meters, breathalyzer, DB meter, you name it he had it.

The donut joke was not ment as disrespect,
I admire and respect the job the men and women in blue do.
Old 10/21/05, 08:31 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Louder the muffler...louder the drone.

Magnaflows I think don't drone as much, because they aren't overly loud compared to other vendors...

Just drive 'around' the drone...
above or below it...
Old 10/21/05, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Stock mufflers are the way to go, just change whatever you want upstream.
Old 10/21/05, 09:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Boomer+October 21, 2005, 9:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boomer @ October 21, 2005, 9:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Louder the muffler...louder the drone.

Magnaflows I think don't drone as much, because they aren't overly loud compared to other vendors...

Just drive 'around' the drone...
above or below it...
[/b]

Well I had no drone with the SLP, (But they are not mufflers there resonators) Way loud.
plus did not sound right on an automatic, Sound GREAT on a Manual trans.

Stock Mufflers are too quiet :notnice:

I like everthing about the MAC's Except the Drone,
Magnaflows are one step above Stock, as far as sound level.
Still too quiet...

Oh yea and It's hard to Drive around the drone, I have an automatic Trans,

<!--QuoteBegin-RandyB
@October 21, 2005, 10:09 PM
Stock mufflers are the way to go, just change whatever you want upstream.
[/quote]

If I change upstream will they get louder and deeper. I ask this because I have heard people say that there SLP LM or macs sound level increased when they added High flow cats and Xpipes.
Old 10/22/05, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Once you have headers and high-flow cats the stock mufflers will be about right. Most never realize this because they change the mufflers first. Just my opinion, and there isn't much hp made at the mufflers.
Old 10/22/05, 08:02 AM
GT Member

What you are describing is the Corsa.

NO DRONE - period.

They are louder and deeper than stock, but not obnoxious.

I have heard the Mac's at idle and reved up. They sound nice but they are louder. The Corsa's are between the stock and Macs' sound and about 3/4+ of the loudness of the Mac's.

Corsa is a company that supplies the marine industry with LOTS of quality exhaust for serious HP motors. They also do vettes. These guys have the R&D money to make an exhuast w/ no drone. They DO claim a 18HP gain. . . . . That MAY be true, but I don't know. (if true - bonus) but it is about a perfect exhaust as there is.

Most of these other aftermarket companies are quite small. They don't have the resources of Corsa / Flowmaster / Borla etc.
YOU are actually doing their R&D work and hoping whatever they cobbled together works. Think about it. The only exhaust that doesn't drone is:
Ford Stock - Big company LOTS cash / engineers at their disposal
Corsa- Big company LOTS cash / engineers at their disposal
Flow Master - Big company LOTS cash / engineers at their disposal
Borla - Big company LOTS cash / engineers at their disposal
SLP - ???
Mac - ???
Coffin -???
Magnaflow - ???
etc??????????

Thoughts????
Old 10/22/05, 08:37 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,122 Posts
http://terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffler/ v6
http://terrence-mann.com/mustang/muffler/v8.html
Let me Drone in!

kc
Old 10/22/05, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by swieduwilt@October 21, 2005, 9:36 PM
In July I purchased a set of SLP Loudmouth Axle-Back Exhaust, I ran them for a few months
and they were just to loud for a daily driver, So I sold them and bought a set of MAC Axle-Back
Exhaust and I love the Deep tone when starting and at idle, and they are perfect tone at WOT
but Dam that DRONE at 1700 -2000 RPM is so bad my ears bleed.
Welcome to Club Drone. I have the same Mac Axlebacks and complained on this LONG ago--search on my screen name from several months back. You're right, the idle and deceleration burbles are wonderful, WOT screams, but the 1800rpm drone will shake your fillings loose. I've had mine for quite some time, and I've learned to either drive around that RPM range with speed and/or gears, open or crack the window (that diminishes the harmonic somewhat), or play the music loud. My daily drives happen to sit at this RPM range, so I'm thinking of getting 4.10 gears just to get me out of that RPM range when I'm cruising. Screw gas mileage. You can also buy some Dynamat sound insulation for the trunk, but I'm too lazy to do this right now.

Another respondent mentions CORSA exhausts, and these are the only ones I've seen advertised that claim they eliminate the drone. I've yet to hear of anyone actually installing one, so the claim is up in the air at this point.

Good luck.

John
Old 10/22/05, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by jwgroovin@October 22, 2005, 11:08 AM
Another respondent mentions CORSA exhausts, and these are the only ones I've seen advertised that claim they eliminate the drone. I've yet to hear of anyone actually installing one, so the claim is up in the air at this point.
There are several of us out here that have the Corsa's. I installed mine several months ago. There is no-drone. I think they look awesome, and the sound is .
Old 10/22/05, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by os121@October 22, 2005, 12:53 PM
There are several of us out here that have the Corsa's. I installed mine several months ago. There is no-drone. I think they look awesome, and the sound is .
Hey, my mistake. Glad you found something that works for you. I don't suppose any of you all with Corsas are in Maryland by any chance...?

John
Old 10/22/05, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:bang: I have the Magnaflow catback with Magnapacks...drones like mad at 2000rpm,and under loads in overdrive...drives me nuts. I have an auto also.
Old 10/22/05, 04:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by RandyB@October 22, 2005, 7:48 AM
Once you have headers and high-flow cats the stock mufflers will be about right. Most never realize this because they change the mufflers first. Just my opinion, and there isn't much hp made at the mufflers.
RandyB may have something here, I have read the Axle-Back exhaust does not have any Significant hp Gains like in the past pony's, and that Ford had done a good job with the stock 05 mufflers. Now if all the HP gains in the 05 are in the plumbing, so why not put the money into the plumbing and leave the fixtures?

AS you can Tell I am really pissed off at the difficult road one has to take to geta good exhaust sound. I just can't Justify paying 700 bucks for a set of corsa mufflers, I would rather put that into something that will give me more HP.

1) I have read, that Shortie Headers do not gain much in HP or sound
where Long tubs are the best, but you loose the cats, so not an option since Virgina has Emitions testing.

2) So Leave the Stock Headers, Add High Flow Cats (HP Gains and will make exhaust louder)

3) Replace the Hpipe with an xpipe (HP gains + louder)

4) Leave the Stock Mufflers (Equals More HP + Louder Sound)

Has anyone done this. I would like to hear the results
Old 10/28/05, 04:52 PM
V6 Member

I have heard that by installing an XPIPE it will remove most of the Drone from the MAC's Any truth to this?... Anyone done this? ....

Th e poster stated that the Bassani XPIPE was used and the design of the XPIPE removed the frequency resonance from the exhaust... Is this BS or is there any science to this ????
Old 10/28/05, 05:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by swieduwilt@October 21, 2005, 7:36 PM

Is there any other exhaust that have a great low tone with out the drone.
or should I install high flow cats + xpipe with stock mufflers, would this make the stock
exhaust louder and lower tone?

As sad as it is, and whatever any one will tell you, there is NO way to get low or no drone with a system that has DEEPNESS to it. If you don't want drone, you will HAVE to sacrifice deepness and even some loudness. It's a price you gotta pay, or work around.

My dad has dual Magnaflows on his escalade, and the drone around 2k will literally vibrate your brain out of your skull. My friends complain about droning in their modded cars...I just want to give them a ride in my dad's car and show them what droning REALLY is.
Old 10/28/05, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by swieduwilt@October 22, 2005, 5:52 PM
RandyB may have something here, I have read the Axle-Back exhaust does not have any Significant hp Gains like in the past pony's, and that Ford had done a good job with the stock 05 mufflers. Now if all the HP gains in the 05 are in the plumbing, so why not put the money into the plumbing and leave the fixtures?

AS you can Tell I am really pissed off at the difficult road one has to take to geta good exhaust sound. I just can't Justify paying 700 bucks for a set of corsa mufflers, I would rather put that into something that will give me more HP.

1) I have read, that Shortie Headers do not gain much in HP or sound
where Long tubs are the best, but you loose the cats, so not an option since Virgina has Emitions testing.

2) So Leave the Stock Headers, Add High Flow Cats (HP Gains and will make exhaust louder)

3) Replace the Hpipe with an xpipe (HP gains + louder)

4) Leave the Stock Mufflers (Equals More HP + Louder Sound)

Has anyone done this. I would like to hear the results
All good but for number 3... X pipes contribute to the drone on the 05s.

An added note if you have after market mufflers, resonators between them and the cats work well for minimizing drone, Reason being there are no tail pipes after the mufflers as previous Mustangs.
Old 10/29/05, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Thunder Road@October 28, 2005, 8:36 PM
An added note if you have after market mufflers, resonators between them and the cats work well for minimizing drone, Reason being there are no tail pipes after the mufflers as previous Mustangs.
Ok That makes sense, So since the 05 now places the muffler behind the Axle, you loose the tail pipe, the tail pipe reduces sound vibrations because of continued back presure from the tail pipe. The same way a ported sub woofer box can change sound by the length of the pipe or port.

(Former Competition Car Audio Designer in the 80's)
Alot have changed since then.