GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MAC AxleBack Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/05, 06:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wondering how MAC compares to Magnaflow, JBA etc. Price seems good and
in pictures looks like good quality. 4" Slashcut tips look best to me.
Just wondering about fitment and sound. Anyone install these yet??
Opinions welcome.

http://www.partshopper.com/fordmustang/ite...p?ic=MAC-TK2546
Old 2/15/05, 06:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAC always seems good.....I got their ProChamber and Flowpath exhaust on my 00GT. I think they're the best sound out there for the Mustang.
Old 2/15/05, 08:31 AM

I had MAC mufflers on my 1986 GT and I really liked the sound. I called MAC to order the mufflers for my 2005 on 2/11/2005 and yesterday they told me that they are now on back order!!!
Old 2/15/05, 09:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered from www.Partshopper.com. I called first to confirm they do have them in stock and they said 'Yes'. They also told me to enter coupon code 'thankyou' and the price adjusted down 5% to $299.20. Free shipping also!

I'll post back once I get them installed and give a full report.
Old 2/15/05, 10:59 AM

Thanks 05SatinGT.

I just cancled my order with MAC and I ordered my MAC exhaust from Partshopper.com. It was $50.00 cheaper and they said I got the last set they had. It will be here before the weekend
Old 2/15/05, 07:36 PM
GT Member

MACs axle back were too loud and droning for me. The tips looked real nice, has a nice protrusion from the car, looks great from the side. but I could not take the sound inside the car.

Outside sounded pretty strong. People sure knew I was coming. I had a meeting at a professional office building, where the client knew I had arrived well ahead of me entering his suite. He heard the car pull up from inside his office.

I changed to the magnaflows. good consistent sound, and I don't have to blare my radio to hear it above the roar.

This may be a "geezer thing", I'm in my 40's, ok.... closer to 50.

I'll be interested to hear how people like the ride/sound with the MACs.
Old 2/15/05, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

I ordered them from partshopper and installed them last week. I really like them alot but agree there is slight drone between 55-60mph. I have 4.10s though so it would be around seventy with stock gears. I had MAC on my 93 notch and really enjoyed them. Can't beat the price Sounds great at WOT!!
Old 2/15/05, 09:34 PM

In my 86 & 89 it had a noticable drone sound at 1900 RPM....but I really like the tips and the MAC sound outside the car.

And everybody knew whaen I was home for the day.

I guess I'll hear it later this week. (hopefully)
Old 2/20/05, 07:10 AM

This may be a "geezer thing".
I wouldn't go that far, I'm only 18 and the Magnaflows on mine are JUST right. You're not out of touch yet with the youth, old timer.
Old 2/20/05, 10:31 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by 2k5pony@February 15, 2005, 10:52 PM
I ordered them from partshopper and installed them last week. I really like them alot but agree there is slight drone between 55-60mph. I have 4.10s though so it would be around seventy with stock gears. I had MAC on my 93 notch and really enjoyed them. Can't beat the price Sounds great at WOT!!
Can you please get a soundclip
Old 2/20/05, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

i am going to go with the magnaflow x and axleback hook up----
Old 2/20/05, 05:26 PM
Bullitt Member

yep, need a sound clip.
Old 5/4/05, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by lwing18@February 15, 2005, 10:39 PM
MACs axle back were too loud and droning for me. The tips looked real nice, has a nice protrusion from the car, looks great from the side. but I could not take the sound inside the car.

Outside sounded pretty strong. People sure knew I was coming. I had a meeting at a professional office building, where the client knew I had arrived well ahead of me entering his suite. He heard the car pull up from inside his office.

I changed to the magnaflows. good consistent sound, and I don't have to blare my radio to hear it above the roar.

This may be a "geezer thing", I'm in my 40's, ok.... closer to 50.

I'll be interested to hear how people like the ride/sound with the MACs.
Hey, I just put them on and am a bit worried about the drone inside the car as well. I'll give them a week, and if I can't take it, I'll put the stock exhaust back on and try to get the Flowmasters. I should be able to sell the Mac's cheap...
Old 5/5/05, 12:08 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had them on for a couple weeks now. I love them . Drone is not a problem. For me anyways.
Old 5/5/05, 04:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Firedude@May 5, 2005, 2:11 AM
I have had them on for a couple weeks now. I love them . Drone is not a problem. For me anyways.
I just drove in to work. The drone is at low rpm around 1800-2000 JUST as you're giving it gas to speed up. So, on a busy two lane or highway, if you're slowing down a bit, or just lazily idling a long at that rpm range (say 60 in 5th), it feels like the back of my head will explode. Easy answer is to drop it down a gear to rev above that irritation zone, but with a 40 mile commute I DO want to try to keep the MPG up around 22. I have a varied mix of two lane, 4 lane and interstate.

I'm calling the manufacturer today and ask about this.

This is a daily driver driven under a wide range of road conditions. If I'm out to play, no problem. In fact, about a mile before hitting my exit ramp off the interstate, I put the driver side window down, and took off through the opening traffic. The sound was sweeeet! But there is that nagging drone when you're just tooling along.
Old 5/5/05, 07:32 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by jwgroovin+May 5, 2005, 5:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jwgroovin @ May 5, 2005, 5:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Firedude@May 5, 2005, 2:11 AM
I just drove in to work. The drone is at low rpm around 1800-2000 JUST as you're giving it gas to speed up. So, on a busy two lane or highway, if you're slowing down a bit, or just lazily idling a long at that rpm range (say 60 in 5th), it feels like the back of my head will explode. Easy answer is to drop it down a gear to rev above that irritation zone, but with a 40 mile commute I DO want to try to keep the MPG up around 22. I have a varied mix of two lane, 4 lane and interstate.

I'm calling the manufacturer today and ask about this.

This is a daily driver driven under a wide range of road conditions. If I'm out to play, no problem. In fact, about a mile before hitting my exit ramp off the interstate, I put the driver side window down, and took off through the opening traffic. The sound was sweeeet! But there is that nagging drone when you're just tooling along.
[/b][/quote]

Let me know what the manufacturer suggests
Old 5/5/05, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DanTheMans22@May 5, 2005, 9:35 AM
Let me know what the manufacturer suggests
I just got off the phone. The MAC techn support guy handed me off to his boss, who indicated I was the first to call in with this issue (drone with steady 1800-2000rpm). The boss said there was nothing he could do, as it wasn't a known issue. He said he would take it up with "Mac" (the Mac in MAC???) and see if he had any suggestions. I left my name and number, and also followed up with an email using their website form.

In the meantime, I may just spend a few bucks and take this to Monroe Muffler (my son works there) and have them give it a once over. Maybe, just maybe, I don't have something tightened down or aligned right...

John
Old 5/5/05, 03:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I tried driving at several different RPM's today. I tried to get mine to drone. The only drone I got was letting off the gas or really lugging it. I could not get it to do it under normal driving. If anything, my seems quieter the more miles I get on it. I wonder if you are missing a deflector or something.
Old 5/5/05, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Firedude@May 5, 2005, 4:18 PM
I tried driving at several different RPM's today. I tried to get mine to drone. The only drone I got was letting off the gas or really lugging it. I could not get it to do it under normal driving. If anything, my seems quieter the more miles I get on it. I wonder if you are missing a deflector or something.
Is anyone having the same problem with Bassani. I just ordered the SS x pipe and axle back. Should have it on this next week. I am also having undercoating put on to do some soundproofing.
Old 5/5/05, 07:13 PM
GT Member

Are you guy’s nutz? I have had the MACs for about 1 month and really like them. At 60+ and throttle set to cruse I can barley hear the exhaust. I only get a slight drone at 1800 rpms but it fades fast. I also have the Bassani X-pipe and really like the sound. I don’t get it you put and after market muffler on the car but want a stock sound what’s the point. Even my wife likes the sound I can’t get her out of the thing so I can drive it.

PS I am 41 not some kid playing Metallica with a 1000 watt stereo.

Quick Reply: MAC AxleBack Exhaust