GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Lowering springs??

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/11, 01:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowering springs??

Really don't know what springs to buy... It's a toss up between sport line or pro kit

The only difference that I can see is the pro kit will have the backend sitting a half inch taller than the sportline... The front end should be about the same...

Can someone please help me decide
Old 12/24/11, 10:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Can I interest you in our Sport springs that are still on sale for 15% off. Our springs will give you a drop of 1 inch in the front and 1 1/4 in the rear.

These springs will give you a more aggressive look, better handling, and reduction in nose dive.

Steeda springs were developed in conjunction with Ford Motor Company engineers through our SEMA technology transfer program. You know you are going to get great quality and superior products when you buy from Steeda.

We have 3 sets with different drops and handling abilities. Take a look, see if you like them, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

TJ

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-s...d-mustang.html
Old 12/24/11, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Even if I go through you I still have the same problem... I have an 07 GT for my daily.... And I love the look of 1.4 drop in the front and 1.7 in the rear.... (sport line equivalent ) but will the drop be too rough for a daily?
Old 12/27/11, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Steeda Sport paired with Koni STR.T and they work great on a daily. They are firmer but not harsh. That combo comes highly recommended from many people.

Originally Posted by silversky545
Even if I go through you I still have the same problem... I have an 07 GT for my daily.... And I love the look of 1.4 drop in the front and 1.7 in the rear.... (sport line equivalent ) but will the drop be too rough for a daily?
Attached Thumbnails Lowering springs??-dsc_2423.jpg  
Old 12/27/11, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Went w k springs cuz they are cheap and I'll one day get coilovers anyway
Old 12/28/11, 07:44 PM

Pro Kit on old shocks doesn't work well. Once I put some D Specs on the ride is great. Koni orange and yellow would probably do the same. I had 72k miles on mine when I put the springs on. The shocks are exposed when you lower the car.
Old 12/29/11, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
k springs where did you get them from?
Old 12/29/11, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Am, had gift cards
Old 12/29/11, 07:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Silversky,

Congrats on the new spring purchase. You will enjoy the ride and the new looks.

Thanks

TJ
Old 12/29/11, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hope so... Took me 2 months to decide what springs to go with... It's kinda bitter sweet... Now I have to install em :-(
Old 12/29/11, 09:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you going to put on struts/shocks? If you are anywhere near 50K I would suggest it. If you are set on coilovers, than at least try to find some lower cost dampers to freshen up the factory. They are pretty bad and seem to go dead at like 30K. Especially the rear.
Old 12/29/11, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yea I'm at 47k... I was trying to hold out on spending too much on stuff I'll eventually scrap anyway... But if anything I'll get the tokicko (sp wrong... Don't care) 5 way adj

Im ignorant when it comes to susp. How much is what u just said to get?
Old 12/29/11, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think I paid like 300-350 for the Koni STR.T set with a sale at tirerack.com a year or two ago. Sam Strano that posts here is a dealer for Koni also and usually has a good deal. The Tokico set are more expensive. eg. http://www.brenspeed.com/dsp12.html

The Koni yellows are adjustable also but probably higher quality. I'd think about how long you want to wait for the coilovers and look at how many miles you will be running until then. Keep in mind a spring install is also a shock/strut install as you need to remove them to load the springs. I'd say you don't need a coilover set unless you are doing competition. Get a good matching shock for your springs and use the money elsewhere. (Camber/Toe correction.) (My opinion.) It looks like most coilover kits don't provide any real advantage to a good matching spring/shock/strut mount combo. (On a daily driver.) You are paying for the tune-ability for competition use. If you want to get into competition and change things up for the track then it can be a different story. I think there are even rules to different modification levels. - You might even be able to upgrade your setup to a coilover if you buy the right stuff now. Add the ride height adjustments down the road and the springs and shocks now.

Last edited by randy_tho; 12/29/11 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12/29/11, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm limited on funds... I have around $200 left and I can't afford shocks and struts... So Im kinds screwed... Hope for the best I guess... I will be looking to buy em next... But w a wife and two kids who knows how long it will take me to get em :-(
Old 12/29/11, 10:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm limited on funds... I have around $200 left and I can't afford shocks and struts... So Im kinds screwed... Hope for the best I guess... I will be looking to buy em next... But w a wife and two kids who knows how long it will take me to get em :-(
CJPonyParts has a 20% off sale going on through the weekend. I got my springs from them during a similar sale a while back for around $200. Check them out.
Old 12/29/11, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the springs for $174
Old 12/29/11, 11:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Are you doing the installation yourself? If so that will save some money. If you don't work on your car much, this may not be the place to start.

After the springs you will need an alignment performed or you will chew through tires and that will be another 250 bucks every few months. With drops there is a chance the rear will go to one side and then in the front, camber goes negative and this usually affects toe. You will wear the inside edge of your tires pretty quick. There are corrections that can be taken. The most inexpensive are some camber bolts and modified strut by slightly drilling on the,mount hole. This would be done by the alignment shop. Toe is adjusted with the tie rod ends and doesn't require purchasing extra gear. The rear if needed would require an adjustable panhard to center the axle with the body. Guys can get by without them but there is a spec the shop should check. Finally with more drop you start running into pinion angle with the drive shaft and this is supposed to be a non issue with the height you are looking at. It is corrected with adjustable control arms. If you do the install yourself you should use a torque wrench on the suspension bolts and you can rent a strut compress tool from autozone for free after return with deposit. There is a ton of info on here about lowering so you may want to read up on it to make informed decisions about the course of action you want to take. I believe there is a good sticky for this topic.
Old 12/30/11, 12:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

My nabor has a lift in his garage and has every tool possible... Including a spring compressor... I hope to god everything is ok after install... All I have is around $200 what should I buy to make sure non of the above happeneds?
Old 12/30/11, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'd say the cheapest is a set of these bolts and a quote from a good alignment shop. Most around here cost 70 bucks for a 4 wheel. The mustang doesn't have adjustment in the rear but they can check the dogtracking with the lower springs on the rear axle. If it is out you can get an adjustable panhard and drop line it yourself. I think those may be like 100-150. Yours may be fine with the 1.5" drop.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...justment-Bolts

The higher quality way would be a set of upper strut mounts with adjustment but they are over 200. Also be careful when disassembling the front struts and don't lose the bearings out of the upper mounts. They are supposed to be one time use but can be repacked if necessary.
https://themustangsource.com/f669/st...mplete-432409/

My nabor has a lift in his garage and has every tool possible... Including a spring compressor... I hope to god everything is ok after install... All I have is around $200 what should I buy to make sure non of the above happeneds?
Old 12/30/11, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I'm always a fan of the Eibach Pro Kit. It has really become the standard for most vehicles these days, but the awesome thing is that Eibach still takes the time to develop them and spend weeks and months with their Mustangs to make the best possible kit they can offer. The quality is really un-matched, and that's why Ford Racing chose Eibach to private label their springs.

It's really a matter of opinion, but Eibach Springs, FRPP Springs, H&R Springs - you can't really go wrong!

Keep in mind that AM will match any advertised price from a reputable competitor, and we'll ship it for FREE, the very same day! Every day, we offer a 6% forums discount for you guys here at TMS, and you just have to PM me to get the discount code if you've got over 50 posts (which we consider an active member). We also have a military discount for anyone that calls us up and uses their military email. Between this discount and our price matching, we'll always be the same price, if not cheaper, than any of our competitors!

Enjoy whatever springs you decide to go with! Hit me up if you have any questions at all!

Quick Reply: Lowering springs??