GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Lowering, Pinion Angles, Adj. LCAs

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/07, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering, Pinion Angles, Adj. LCAs

So I have reviewed many different threads on the lowering of your mustang and the need for adjustable LCAs, Panhard bars, etc. My question to everyone is - How much of this is really necessary for the average person? What I mean is, the Mustang Shelby GT, and all of those other GTs ordered from the factory with the FRPP handling kit do not change to different LCAs and they seem to be fine. Also, even the Stage II from Steeda only has lowering springs, sway bars and shocks.
Also, if you get LCA relocation brackets, I don't se that you still need adj. LCAs.

I'd really like to get more than 2 opinions on this from people who have run with these sets. I appreciate anyone who has already chimed in on this.

I'm really struggling with my decisions here. I have plenty of funds to do whatever. I've thought of just changing to D-specs and adding sway bars. I've considered the whole Steeda package plus LCAs/Panhard, or simply lowering just the back of the car and adding Sways/shocks - and everything in between. Please help me, my brain is smoking!
Old 6/17/07, 05:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Getting Relocations brackets will not correct your pinion angle. They're purpose is to correct the angle the lca's sit at after lowering the car. Here's a couple of good articles that will help you understand what LCAs,UCAs,Relo brackets etc.

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LoweringS197.htm
Old 6/17/07, 09:25 PM
V6 Member

Leo 06GT,

I see you used the ultralights which I am considering. I don't see that you have the Adj. LCAs to correct your pinion angle. Are you having any noticable problem because of this? How about your axle centering, any need for the adj. panhard bar?

Thanks for the input
Old 6/17/07, 11:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great info Leo 06GT. I've gotta put on my anti-squat brackets ASAP!!
Old 6/18/07, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by rnail
Leo 06GT,

I see you used the ultralights which I am considering. I don't see that you have the Adj. LCAs to correct your pinion angle. Are you having any noticable problem because of this? How about your axle centering, any need for the adj. panhard bar?

Thanks for the input
After lowering my car I ran with my adjustable LCA's at stock length. What I noticed is that during shifting I could feel and hear the driveshaft "clunking" alittle bit. After they were adjusted properly my shifts felt smoother and I no longer heard the clunk. Aside from that I've read that running your car with it's pinion angle off can lead to pre-mature wear and possible if not slight gear whine. I also installed a panhard and it required very little adjustment to bring the body and axle in line. Personally while I understand those side affects are minimal I'm very **** about modding my ride and I wont do it if its not done right.
Old 6/18/07, 06:22 AM
GT Member

I installed the Ultralights and kept the stock panhard rod. My rear end is now perfectly centered (left-right).

BUT- why would you want your rear end to be centered in a car that uses a panhard rod? This suspension setup is designed to have the axle moving left-right as the rear suspension is compressed; so, theoretically, you would want the axle off set to one side, so that it has room to move as it compresses- just as Ford does it from the factory....no?

I'm not sure why everyone is so intent on trying to center the read end- it's going to move left right every time you corner or hit a bump!
Old 6/18/07, 06:24 AM
GT Member

Get the D-specs. They are great! They really make a difference with springs. The car will really flaten out and you won't suffer from poor ride quality. IMO, this should be first on your list.
As for the LCA's and Panhard bar. I have both, but didn't do much adjusting yet, plus consider the springs you are using. I used the Ultralites and didn't have to adjust the panhard or LCA's very much. In fact, I had the springs on for about 8 months before I added the other parts with no problems.
Plus with the Ultralites, I didn't need camber bolts or plates to align the car.
Old 6/18/07, 08:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Can anyone link to where I can find a decent angle finder in order to adjust pinion angle?
Old 6/18/07, 02:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rnail
Leo 06GT,

Thanks for the input
You are correct I do not have Adj. LCA's or a panhard. I've have not noticed any problems caused by not having the above. The only thing I'm considering buying at this time are relocation brackets to correct the position of the LCA's which are now angled foward ever so slighty. I don't think you need adj. LCA's or a UCA unless you go with a more agressive drop like the Eibachs or your having wheel hop problems.

Originally Posted by Cdvision
Great info Leo 06GT. I've gotta put on my anti-squat brackets ASAP!!
Thanks but thank the guys who wrote it I just posted a link to it.
Old 6/18/07, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Can anyone link to where I can find a decent angle finder in order to adjust pinion angle?
I'm sure you'll find one if you look through a craftsman or other tool magazine or website.