GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

To Lower or Not to Lower

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/06, 12:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be getting some Mustang Tuning 18x10R/18x9F deep dishes for my 06 GT soon and have seen photos from others showing 295/45's on the rear and they look great. In particular, Ileana's- Vista Blue Mustang. I find that, at least with this model mustang, having some space with tires like that doesn't look bad at all. My 95GT was begging to be lowered. I put the Eibach pro kit on like most, but after time, creaking noises and the like have shown up in the front, and though I somewhat expected that to happen to a lowered car over time with all the train tracks, bumps and potholes that abound, it certainly isn't nice. I love the ALREADY tight feel of this new car and I will certainly put on sub-frames, but I'm rather hesitant to lower the car.

My question to anyone out there:

If you have seen Ileana's pictures on this site, do you think it looks fine the way it is "unlowered"? I do and I guess that's all that really matters for me to really make a descision. Nevertheless, I would like some feedback from others.

Thanks........................Richard
Old 1/15/06, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lower it. You are between 1/2" and 3/4" HIGHER than stock with those tires on 18" wheels... While the wheel gap is reduced (by the same amount the car is raised actually), the car will definitely sit too high for MY taste.

I would lower it, but I would look at kits that only lower it by 1" or so. Currently, I have the Eibach Pro kit and I love the look, but the ride is definitely harsher than stock and I do have to be careful how I take bumps and driveways (well, steep driveways at any rate). I have about decided that I will be getting a new set of springs for my car eventually. Probably something like the Saleens, but definitely in the 1" drop.

After the Eibach's settled, the final drop for me was closer to 2" than 1 1/2". I absolutely LOVE the look! And I love how it handles the curvers. But I don't think I love it enough to put up with the harsher ride and clearance issues for the long term. Especially when I have read many reviews that state that the 1" drop springs (if properly done of course), have no impact on ride quality.

I guess I'll find out eventually.
Old 1/15/06, 01:44 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I still think that if you go with the same setup she has and you lower the car, those tires will rub when hitting bumps or taking sharp corners because the ones in the rear sit flush with the wheelwell. I had that problem when I lowered my 90 LX and had tires that were flush with the wheelwell.
Old 1/15/06, 02:04 PM
FR500 Member

But I don't think I love it enough to put up with the harsher ride and clearance issues for the long term. Especially when I have read many reviews that state that the 1" drop springs (if properly done of course), have no impact on ride quality.

I guess I'll find out eventually.
[/quote]

I have the Steeda springs on the rear only and the ride is a little harsher than stock, but it's def not objectionable IMO.

Paul
Old 1/15/06, 06:40 PM
GT Member

I will probably go with the something like 285/40 if I decide to lower. I'm just worried about how damaging the whole thing is in the long run.
Old 1/15/06, 07:03 PM
GT Member

Yeah good thread here, i have seen her car and it does look good but i am one more vote to lower at least slighty. The steeda springs would be a good drop i'm thinking.
Does anyone else have the ebiach pro-kit that settled lower then what was stated?
I'm prolly gonna go with the ebiach pro-kit with tokios adjustable shocks.
Old 1/15/06, 08:30 PM
GT Member

Also, for those who have lowered their Mustangs an inch or more and have 255/45's in the front, can you turn the tire all the way or does it eventually rub on the inside? If so, how bad? Do you get most of your turning movement and just lose a little bit? I think the steeda springs are the most concervative and may be a good choice. I did read a post on this site from a member who had to take off his front chin spoiler because of the lowering or maybe too much lowering? I definetly am getting a chin, so maybe the best thing to do is to get that put on first, then the lowering.
Old 1/16/06, 08:20 AM
GT Member

I have 255/45-18's w/ the Steeda springs and NO rub when turning. Love the ride.

Old 1/16/06, 09:26 AM
Retired Tms Staff

and now for something most people that have lowered their cars have never thought of (I know I didn't). Insurance companies, in most cases, will automatically cancel your insurance if they find out your car has been lowered and/or the suspension altered. I found this out the hard way when pics of my car were submitted to the appraiser regarding a claim that was filed. I immediately received a call that my insurance was cancelled. After a long 3 day argument, or should I say debate, I still have insurance but my guaranteed policy renewal was removed, which basically means when it comes time to renew my insurance my rates are going to be through the roof :bang:
Old 1/16/06, 11:06 AM
GT Member

What the *&#@$%!!!! That's crazy! And what was their reasoning? That's just BS. Sorry to hear that. What insurance?
Old 1/16/06, 11:09 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@January 16, 2006, 8:29 AM
and now for something most people that have lowered their cars have never thought of (I know I didn't). Insurance companies, in most cases, will automatically cancel your insurance if they find out your car has been lowered and/or the suspension altered. I found this out the hard way when pics of my car were submitted to the appraiser regarding a claim that was filed. I immediately received a call that my insurance was cancelled. After a long 3 day argument, or should I say debate, I still have insurance but my guaranteed policy renewal was removed, which basically means when it comes time to renew my insurance my rates are going to be through the roof :bang:

Hey, I didn't lower my car......my tires musta shrank!!!
Old 1/16/06, 11:14 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Something to do with the changing the suspension changes the handling, therefore impacts the safety of the vehicle. Ya, I know what you are thinking........ however, even Brad just got the same reaction from his insurance company.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=42483
Old 1/16/06, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have never heard that before about Ins co's....matter of fact I was just in a wreck with my acura cl (well months ago) and the ins co actually paid to replace the sway bars and headers that got damaged on the car. I would get a new ins co.....

As for the tire size and lowering on the front. A friends of mine and I just lowered his 05 with the prokit and slapped my rims on there (until my car comes in) and they are 275/40/18 on all 4...I say lower that sucker!!

Old 1/16/06, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

adrenalin, I've not ever heard of that happening before..-!
May I ask what insurance company that was?

My advice: Roush. I ordered my Roush springs through my dealer's parts dept and had them installed by my dealer- so they are 100% legit. The Roush kit also only lowers the rear 1" (but also lowers the front 1" as well)

Even more than the visual benefit of the Roush kit is the resulting feel. To me there is no harshness to it, the car just feels significantly more solid, and spcificall it does not roll from side to side like the oem seems to do IMO.

I think the exact setup that Ileana has will work with the Roush lowering kit- at least it's what I'm planning to do. I am planning to double check the overall diameter increase against the oem GT setup and visually verify on the car that there's room enough, but I feel sure there is.

Basically, I'm saying if Ileana's car were lowered 1" front and rear it would still be fine, especially if the springs reduced body roll.

1 more thing the Ford tech pointed out to me- if you put your fingers behind the wheel well arch edges you'll see there is no return lip there, it's basically only the width of the sheetmetal.

I hope this is helpful- I'm really pleased with my Roush springs. =)
Old 1/16/06, 11:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by NOLAGT@January 16, 2006, 2:22 PM
I have never heard that before about Ins co's....matter of fact I was just in a wreck with my acura cl (well months ago) and the ins co actually paid to replace the sway bars and headers that got damaged on the car. I would get a new ins co.....

As for the tire size and lowering on the front. A friends of mine and I just lowered his 05 with the prokit and slapped my rims on there (until my car comes in) and they are 275/40/18 on all 4...I say lower that sucker!!

That looks spectacular
Are those the Mustang Tuning deep dish?

It looks like the rear could handle a slightly larger tire without issues as well. The front looks like it's in harmony with the entire universe
Old 1/16/06, 11:27 AM
Retired Tms Staff

My insurance company is state farm. I called 2 other companies (that I do not plan on using ) I asked them if I installed different springs other than factory springs in my car if that voided my insurance policy. Both companies told me that if I alter the suspension and it does not meet OEM spec they have every right to cancel my policy.
Old 1/16/06, 11:35 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by 06GT&05MCS@January 16, 2006, 10:29 AM
That looks spectacular
Are those the Mustang Tuning deep dish?

It looks like the rear could handle a slightly larger tire without issues as well. The front looks like it's in harmony with the entire universe

A lot of times it depends on "who" you get to talk to at the insurance company. Kinda like talking to someone working for local government. One guy might write you up for cancelation, and another wouldn't make any issue at all out of it.
It certainly has the potential to cause people some major harm though.
Old 1/16/06, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

They are not the DD ones...just the regular 18x9's. There are two different 18x9 regualr sets floating around...these and ones that dont have as nice of a lip on them. I agree the back could use a wider tire...they dont bulge any....matter of fact they are in danger of curb rash I wanted to be able to rotate for now so I did the same on all 4.
Old 1/16/06, 12:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Drop that thing - you won't regret it. Ford got the car closer to how it should sit (compared to the SN95), but it still sits too high IMO. Eibach Pro + 18" wheels = perfection
Old 1/16/06, 06:25 PM
GT Member

Has anybody heard about or used H & R sport springs? They claim 1 inch drop on the front and a 3/4 inch drop on the back. I'm not sure which look I like for lowering: even squat from front to back or a little higher in the back.

Quick Reply: To Lower or Not to Lower