GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Loudest muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/06, 02:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loudest muffler?

I'm looking into getting mufflers, and would like to know the loudest setup short of the Loudmouths. Reason being I'd like to throw an off-road X- or H-pipe on sometime, and I know that, coupled with the Loudmouths, wouldn't sound good.

I was thinking the FRPP/Borla Stingers are what I'm looking for? Thanks.
Old 7/16/06, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Borla stingers would work well, so would Magnaflow Magnapacks and the Bassani race mufflers. Corsa won't be loud until you add that midpipe.
Old 7/16/06, 10:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't even think about the Bassanis...thanks!

It seems there are a few that meet my criteria: SLP Powerflos, Magnaflow Magnapacks, FRPP Stingers, and Bassani race mufflers.

I want an agressive sound, not smooth or mellow. I think the Stingers are a bit smooth and mellow for me. From what I've heard of the Bassanis, they sound great.
Old 7/16/06, 10:20 PM

Why do you say the loudmouths wouldn't sound good with the pipe?
Old 7/16/06, 10:26 PM
GT Member

I've got the Magnaflow Magnapacks cat back. I like the way the sound came out. I'm gonna get the Magnaflow X-pipe here soon but im getting the one that has the high flow cats on it.
Old 7/16/06, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

A straight pipe would be too outrageous. And I've heard how the LMs sound with the stock midpipe, and I really don't like it...sounds like an airplane. I want some tone in my exhaust....I don't want to sound like a rabid stock car.

I've been looking all over for clips of the Bassani SS Race mufflers, but came up empty. From what I'm reading, they should be the most agressive-sounding ones out there.
Old 7/16/06, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

what about a y-pipe cut-off valve with a elctronic butterfly. Thats what I want one day can control it from the driver seat. So when some retard in a honda pulls up next to me and revs up his sewing machine I can drown him out with the mean sound of a modular V-8 un-muffled.
Old 7/16/06, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
what about a y-pipe cut-off valve with a elctronic butterfly. Thats what I want one day can control it from the driver seat. So when some retard in a honda pulls up next to me and revs up his sewing machine I can drown him out with the mean sound of a modular V-8 un-muffled.
I already have that... it is a friggin blast. I opened them up tonight getting on the freeway at WOT... it's just plain sick. That's all I can say. Oh, and in a tunnel?? Holy sheet!!

Old 7/16/06, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh to be like Don, If only I could have your mustang id be very happy. Don we think alot alike it seems. I would like to have cut outs and pipe them out the side maybe right behind the front wheel well or right in front of the rear tires. I wonder how hard that would be.

Just curious Don, what setup did you use?
Old 7/17/06, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
Oh to be like Don, If only I could have your mustang id be very happy. Don we think alot alike it seems. I would like to have cut outs and pipe them out the side maybe right behind the front wheel well or right in front of the rear tires. I wonder how hard that would be.

Just curious Don, what setup did you use?
Out the side would be tough... the framerails are an issue. And I didn't want them hanging down too low where they could smack speed bumps, curbs and the like. You could probably fab something up near the rear wheels, but I wanted them as close to the header collectors as possible.

The exhaust pipe work was custom welded for me by Adam. The electric valves are P/N 815-EC250D at Jegs. I ran the wiring myself and put the switch on the dash below the speedometer (see pic). It takes less than 2 seconds to open them up fully.

It's pretty cool to have that outrageous sound at your fingertips.

Old 7/17/06, 09:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

here are thje stingers and a o/r midpipe with stock headers. i dont think it sounds mellow at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9ylV3VL3Q
Old 7/17/06, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is a clip of my Magnapacks right after I installed them. They're pretty loud, however I found that while driving they weren't that loud over 3,000rmp, so I put on the Pipes o/r H.....let's just say that they're plenty loud now!
Old 7/17/06, 11:38 AM

http://media.putfile.com/2006-GT-exhaust here's my magnapacks with SLP LT's and O/R X pipe. I really like how it sounds.
Old 7/17/06, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Check out SpinTech mufflers I think they will give you what you are looking for.
Old 7/17/06, 01:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mustangspeeder
Here is a clip of my Magnapacks right after I installed them. They're pretty loud, however I found that while driving they weren't that loud over 3,000rmp, so I put on the Pipes o/r H.....let's just say that they're plenty loud now!

The Pypes o/r H seems to be behind alot of the transformations from loud to LOUD!
Old 7/17/06, 01:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's a link to an older video that I dug up of a 3 pull dyno run at Brenspeed. This is the factory manifolds, o/r H, and Corsa mufflers. http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...Anch=imgAnch15

Yes I know the video sucks.........
Yes I know the sound quality of the video kinda sucks........
Yes I know that my camera became obsolete 10 years ago.........no I don't have the money to replace it because I spend it all on my car
Old 7/17/06, 01:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 94tbird
here are thje stingers and a o/r midpipe with stock headers. i dont think it sounds mellow at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9ylV3VL3Q
You're right...that sounds pretty nasty.

Such a tough decision............I really wish I could hear the Bassani Race Mufflers.
Old 7/20/06, 02:07 PM

Alright well call me dumb kid but since everyone ignored me the first time why are you reluctant to put the LM's with and X pipe? Because I was thinking of doing that until you posted that.

-Thanks a lost 18 year old
Old 7/20/06, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BryTC27
Alright well call me dumb kid but since everyone ignored me the first time why are you reluctant to put the LM's with and X pipe? Because I was thinking of doing that until you posted that.

-Thanks a lost 18 year old
Becuase it sounds like crap.

Once the stock cats are removed, you have to be very careful what combo you have, otherwise you might end up with some serious trumpeting. (And if "trumpeting" is an unfamiliar term to you, try the search button... it's been discussed ad nauseum here).

Quick Reply: Loudest muffler?