GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Looking for Baer brake kit...

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/10, 04:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Baer brake kit...

Decided I need to do the GT Plus kit. Been looking all over the internet for the best price, but wanted to get some input on where others found theirs. Help me spend my money
Old 6/19/10, 07:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to be a jerk at all but if I was gonna spend money on a set of brakes I wouldn't spend it on basically the same setup the stock Mustang has. (i.e. both sys. are 2 pistons in front).... But if you are set on buying it I have seen a decent price on: http://www.pfyc.com/pc/FM4003/FMSUSP....html?a_aid=sz
Old 6/21/10, 07:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mydnyghte
Decided I need to do the GT Plus kit. Been looking all over the internet for the best price, but wanted to get some input on where others found theirs. Help me spend my money
I always ask why it is you believe you need a new braking system? Most people spend big bucks for new brakes when they don't even utilize their stock brakes to their fullest potential.

But everybody always says "I want to be able to stop faster." Bigger brakes don't really do that. The larger rotor and caliper can handle more heat, which is useful in tracking situations, and certainly you gain a slight amount of braking torque from the larger lever arm when going to a larger diameter rotor and caliper.

However, if you're stock system can lock up the tires, all the bigger brakes are going to do is lock them up faster.

Want a strong performer? Stock system with a quality rotor and performance pad set. Good quality clean brake fluid and a set of summer compound tires.

The key is in the tires. If you can already lock up your wheels, adding stickier tires are the only real thing that is going to shorten stopping distances.

As far as the PBR calipers vs the monoblock calipers with 4+ pistons, again it's mostly a heat soak advantage there, in that the system can simply handle more heat which means less fade. But again, you're going to have to be tracking pretty aggressively to notice the difference. The aluminum PBR caliper is also quite a bit lighter than the monoblock caliper which reduces unsprung weight.

The monoblock caliper is more rigid than the PBR which gives it a little bit of a long term advantage as it won't bend from braking stress over time. However again, this would all be assuming your car spends lots of time on the track. On the street you'll never notice this issue.

If you're going for the look however, monoblock calipers look the coolest. If you want functionality though, save your money.
Old 6/21/10, 07:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

,have you looked at ShelbyStore.com,,,sorry ,I forgot you was trying to save money
Old 6/21/10, 07:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Talking

Name:  4261112-2.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  Z28-4261111-2.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  44.0 KB,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Name:  Z28-4262176R-2.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  Shelby8.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  73.4 KB

Looking for Baer brake kit...-shelby7.jpg
Originally Posted by ricksGT/CS
,have you looked at ShelbyStore.com,,,sorry ,I forgot you was trying to save money
Old 6/21/10, 07:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Not going to take it to the track or anything of the sort, its primarily my nice days, car show vehicle. The wheels I have are very open and I want to swap in something that looks good. Been eyeballing the Eradispeed rotors for a very long time now, but have decided to I want a good set of calipers too, and the Baer brakes I've read nothing but good things about.

Oh I would love to get the 6 piston Extreme setup, but there is no way I could justify that cost without taking it to the track regularly. No, its purely for the aesthetics
Old 6/21/10, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not going to take it to the track or anything of the sort, its primarily my nice days, car show vehicle. The wheels I have are very open and I want to swap in something that looks good. Been eyeballing the Eradispeed rotors for a very long time now, but have decided to I want a good set of calipers too, and the Baer brakes I've read nothing but good things about.

Oh I would love to get the 6 piston Extreme setup, but there is no way I could justify that cost without taking it to the track regularly. No, its purely for the aesthetics
Have you looked into just going with some drilled and slotted rotors and paint up the stock calipers nicely?

It's hard to justify a brake upgrade like this if you're not going to use them.