GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Longtube question

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/12, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longtube question

How much are installs on these typically?
How hard is it to install these at home? (my dad and I have a shop with all the tools we could need but we haven't done something of this level to the mustang yet. Just replaced another cars motor a couple weeks ago though if that gives you an idea).
How long does it take?

After they are on will a tune from a handheld tuner do well or do I really need a dyno tune?
How much are dyno tunes?
Do these affect gas mileage at all?

Thanks for the answers guys. Share your experiences, tips, and what you have!
Old 5/4/12, 03:27 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Blood. Sweat. Profanity. Beer helps. Dyno tune would be best.
Old 5/4/12, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Blood. Sweat. Profanity. Beer helps. Dyno tune would be best.
A lift lol
Old 5/4/12, 03:34 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

A lift
Real men don't need no stinking lift. yeah a lift will really help.
Old 5/4/12, 03:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

A lift lol
That's what I was worried about. But I can get that! What else fellas
Old 5/4/12, 03:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did two header installs ... Took me 9-10 hours... But I suck at working in cars... Plus we had a ton of fitment issues due to buying used parts...
I removed the following:
Battery and battery housing
Ac compressor
Steering shaft
Starter
Both motor mounts

Pluss i Jacked motor up...

I thought it was fun, but that's mainly because this is the first Stang I've done all my own installs on... I say do it if u have a lift... Otherwise screw that lol... Make sure u pick up a can of copper coat... Its in a rattle can and you spray both sides of the gaskets... It is very unlikely you will have a leak If copper coat is used

I'm running a email tune w my long tube set up but would much rather have a dyno tune... Email tunes suck IMO

My mpgs have gone down a tad but I think that's more the tunes fault than anything
Old 5/5/12, 03:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
i just installed some long tube BBk headers along with their catted x pipe. No blood no sweat and no tears. The install went very well. I did have to remove motor mounts one at at a time, steering shaft and starter. I took my time and it probably took about 6hr or so.
They improved my mpg to and from work. Maybe by around 2mpg's. That was on the stock tune but I did throw 2 o2 sensor codes. They went away by themselves one day while I was doing some spirited driving. I have since installed a bama tune 87octaine mpg and the mpg's dropped. I am now running a bama 93octaine performance tune with a jlt intake. Don't know what kind of Mpg's I getting with that setup. As far as needing a tune I'm pretty sure you don't need one but you do want one. A dyno tune would be the best but alot of these Vendors here have dyno proven tunes so a handheld tuner with 3 tunes isnt a bad deal at all.
Old 5/7/12, 06:41 PM

i just installed JBA LT and JBA O/R H pipes and i'm getting 2 more MPG more aggresive sound and more HP so that right there should make you want them hahaha. But i did do them myself at least 3/4 of the way , you deffinally need to read up on what you need to do , for instance you need to remove motor mounts to get to like 3 bolts but its better than fighting for 4 hours to remove and replace, it took me ruffly about 8 hours, i would look into getting header bolts if possible bc like 3 of my bolts i couldn't screw the stud in and it was a pain in the ***. I jacked it up on four jack stands over all it wasn't insanely hard bc i did my homework but if i have to take them off to pull engine i'm just coming out of pocket or buying another car and taking my sweet time pulling them back off.
Old 5/7/12, 06:43 PM

also if you have a tuner like i do (SCT) i told them ahead of time i needed to remove the O2 Sensor codes and i plugged it in with new tune and no check engine light )) you do need extension plugs tho bc of longer pipe.