GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Longer Shift Lever

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/17, 02:40 PM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Longer Shift Lever

I never liked the short stubby shift lever on our 5 speed trannies. After installing an MGW short throw unit I liked the short lever even less as over all effort is higher with the MGW. Although the short levers have been fashionable for years now I decided to try something longer.

After checking with all the usual Mustang vendors I came up dry so I tried EBay and to my surprise there were several outfits that sold shift lever extenders. A little careful searching and I found a 6" bent extender with the proper thread pitch. Honestly I was skeptical of whether it would work but for only $17 I was willing to try it.

The part was very nicely made, seemed strong and heavy and the threads were well cut. A few minutes later I headed out for a neighborhood test drive and was amazed at how smooth and light the shifter felt. Yes, the throws are longer but the feel is much nicer in my opinion. I'm not a drag racer so another tenth of a second or so on up shifts means nothing to me. The tall lever actually brings the shift **** closer to my hand position on the steering wheel.

I'll likely get a new shift boot from Redline with a smaller aperture as I won't need the boot retainer that the stock lever uses. I love it when a simple and inexpensive mod works so well.
Name:  IMG_0042_zpsv5f2vyzt.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  156.9 KB

Last edited by Jack Straw; 1/22/17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 1/20/17, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
This is a neat idea. Sounds like it would make daily driving more comfortable and you could always take it off if you were going to the drag strip or track.
Old 1/20/17, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
I like it.

Did a similar mod after adding my Hurst a couple years ago, and it's still got a 3-4 throw that's way shorter than the OEM's 4 inch throw. Up there the ball is near the hand on the wheel, is easier to stir over a tea or coffee in the cup holder, and it get's your right elbow well above that forward edge of the console lid. Pluses all around.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...thread-523689/
The following users liked this post:
Jack Straw (1/21/17)
Old 1/21/17, 12:06 PM
GT Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi tbear,

Thanks for the link to your earlier thread on shifters. Shortly after I installed my MGW unit along with a Q-ball **** I began to notice a bad rattle under load over 3000 rpm when the tranny was hot after a long hard canyon run. Obviously something changed the vibration frequency. I re-installed the stock shift **** and the noise was markedly reduced to a tolerable level. I have not had the chance to thoroughly exercise the car with this new long lever as the Arizona high country is currently covered in snow. I'll report back when I find out how the vibration/noise deal plays out.

BTW, on the subject of long shift levers, Ferrari used some pretty tall ones in the late fifties and early sixties. Here are a couple of pics of the legendary 250 GTO levers and gates, gorgeous work I'd say. Wouldn't a gated shifter look primo in a 'Stang?
Name:  250%20GTO%20gear%20lever%202_zpsm5i031ie.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  4399-shift-hugues-545_zpsv1dyz73r.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  61.5 KB
Old 1/22/17, 06:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Have never been a fan of the " ball " shift ****, recently put this in my 14.
Bolted right up to the stock linkage base, also gained a little height.

Old 1/24/17, 09:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Alibi 2
Have never been a fan of the " ball " shift ****, recently put this in my 14.
Bolted right up to the stock linkage base, also gained a little height.

That looks really GREAT! Got me to looking at Hurst's pistol grips myself!

06-18-2018
Still have the ball, getting ready to install Hurst Line Lock kit on our '08 mostly to add an easy to use hill holder for "Wife Unit" to use … last couple years been a battle but Drs. say looking great after auto-stem cell transplant ..

Last edited by tbear853; 6/18/18 at 03:11 PM.