GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Long tube header question for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/06, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long tube header question for a newbie

Ok, I know about what you need for a longtube set up in a classic mustang, but my question is...what do you need for a long tube set up in an 05-07 mustang? Can you keep the stock mufflers and pipes? Do you have to buy a new h-pipe or x-pipe? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I have looked at Hedman Headers...does anyone have these or know anything about them? I know they are well known like Hooker and Kooks but are they as good? I know from Summit they are quite a bit cheaper. Thanks!

JH
Old 10/3/06, 09:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Most Long Tubes require a change from the stock H pipe set up to theirs, since they extend well beyond the standard length manifolds or shorty headers. The ones you mentioned are good.

Another good set is from Brenspeed. I got mine from lmperformance, they are SLP with a catted x pipe set up. That set up ran me right at a grand. Install is a easy set up...the jury is still out on whether you need a mod tune for LT or not. I got Doug at bama chips to mod my 93 octane tune. Downside is SLP do hang below the frame and my car is lowered.....so I gotta be careful.

Some do not hand below....but the price of mine (saved over 400 bucks) made me choose them. I am happy with their fit and finish, They sound fantastic. I used my axel back flowmasters with them. The set up from SLP and most others mod it to the mid pipe hook up point. Most come with extension wires to relocate you O2 sensors.
Old 10/3/06, 12:46 PM
Cobra Member

I thought u had to have a tune for the headers?
Old 10/3/06, 02:23 PM
Cobra R Member

I was told by a few that you need one, since it runs leaner with the LT's. I contacted Doug and he modded my tune for me. maybe shorties don't need one??

I also heard from some it is not needed...so it is he said she said. I got a tune and recommend those to get one.
Old 10/5/06, 12:42 PM
Cobra Member

the reason I ask is becuase I have a set of LTs and mid pipe sitting here waiting to go on because I dont have my cai/tuner yet. Im thinking bout putting them on until I get the cai/tuner in november but Im not sure yet.
Old 10/5/06, 01:34 PM
GT Member

I would definitely get your tuner before you put the l/t's on IMHO. Although not a MAJOR tune change, you will probably require some small adjustments and the other advice I can give is to do all of your tranny work now, i.e. new shifter, etc. etc. cause one of the PIA things about the l/t's is you have to remove them everytime to get to your tranny.
Old 10/5/06, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ChevyKiller
I would definitely get your tuner before you put the l/t's on IMHO. Although not a MAJOR tune change, you will probably require some small adjustments and the other advice I can give is to do all of your tranny work now, i.e. new shifter, etc. etc. cause one of the PIA things about the l/t's is you have to remove them everytime to get to your tranny.

Good point CK- guess I'll check out a new clutch or atleast stock replacement before I install long tubes.
Old 10/5/06, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

You will find that properly tuning your car to whatever mods you do is the most important part of keeping it alive and healthy. Not to mention making the most power and best driveability.

I just installed American Racing long tubes and I don't think they will be in the way when I have to remove my tranny. I will have to remove the X pipe but you would have to do that with the stock H pipe also.
Old 10/5/06, 06:24 PM

The shorty headers will lean out the car .3 AFR, and longtubes will lean it out .5 AFR. it's enough that it whould be tuned.

You will get what you pay for on header quality and brands.

jim