GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Long tube header finishes

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/06, 06:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey gang,
In a couple days or so, i am going to purchase some long tubes. I am caught on either hooker or jba. The hookers(no pun intended) are a little cheaper with a ceramic coated finish, the material is steel and the flange thickness is 5/16's.
The jba's have multiple finishes ranging from ceramic coating, natural, titanium ceramic finish and the header materials are stainless steel and flange thickness is 3/8's.

I am just looking to make the right choice here. It would be nice to save money, but when it comes to performance, i don't really want to be cheep. But is it really a difference in the finishes and materials?
I lot of you have long tubes, so feedback would be most valuable. What made you all choose the long tubes that you have? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/6/06, 06:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Go with the Hookers!

If you read my post a while back, I found a small Hooker dealer in Atlanta GA that were selling Hooker Products at great prices!!

http://www.barnettperformance.com

Shortie Headers-

Black Powder Coat: $376
Ceramic: $448

Long Tube Headers-

Black Powder Coat: $425
Ceramic: $538

Give them a call! They have them in stock!

o and here is the thread by the way I made about the headers...
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...40723&hl=Hooker
Old 2/6/06, 06:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Torrence,

I went with a full JBA set-up. Their Firecone merge device and their quality in craftmanship are a couple of the reasons why I chose JBA. I'll have them in by the time we next meet up on the 25th so if you haven't pulled the trigger yet you can get a hands-on look. I went with their regular stainless not the silver or titanium ceramic.
Old 2/6/06, 06:50 AM

I went with the JBA Titanium Ceramic Coated ones because I found them for $768.00 on ebay. That's normally the uncoated price. I also got the Catted H-Pipe. You'll need the matching H-Pipe for the JBA's or whatever Hooker offers for their setup.

JBA recommends the Steeda engine mounts for less engine movement since the headers may knock on hard launches or cornering. Maybe the prothane mounts will do. You can find them at BMR Fabrication for $119.00 instead of the Steeda at $279.00

As you can see the JBA setup provides good ground clearance.

I gained 0.13 seconds with my exhaust setup on the last day of the season. This was without a retune. I'm hoping to improve on this after I have the car dyno'd.
Old 2/6/06, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thump_rrr @ February 6, 2006, 8:53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I went with the JBA Titanium Ceramic Coated ones because I found them for $768.00 on ebay. That's normally the uncoated price. I also got the Catted H-Pipe. You'll need the matching H-Pipe for the JBA's or whatever Hooker offers for their setup.

JBA recommends the Steeda engine mounts for less engine movement since the headers may knock on hard launches or cornering. Maybe the prothane mounts will do. You can find them at BMR Fabrication for $119.00 instead of the Steeda at $279.00

As you can see the JBA setup provides good ground clearance.

I gained 0.13 seconds with my exhaust setup on the last day of the season. This was without a retune. I'm hoping to improve on this after I have the car dyno'd.
[/b][/quote]
I have the Titanium JBA. Got them on Ebay used for 450.00. They fit good and look good. I also used the Prothane mounts and they fit good also. I think alot of the difference between headers is flange and tube thickness as well as material. I have had better luck with thicker flange material as far as leaks and bolts staying tight go. My car leaned out quite abit with the header install. I am not running cats.
Old 2/6/06, 08:43 AM
V6 Member

thump_rrr where did u get ur o2 extensions [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]?
Old 2/6/06, 10:09 AM
GT Member

got my hookers and love them ... oh and there ceramic coated
Old 2/6/06, 11:12 AM
Cobra Member

Zach,
What type of pipe do you have hooked up to the headers.
I want to do a Hooker long tube and JBA off road h pipe that someone is willing to sell me. Anyone know if I can put these two together.

Paul,
Thats a really great price for those LT's.
Old 2/6/06, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 6, 2006, 1:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Zach,
What type of pipe do you have hooked up to the headers.
I want to do a Hooker long tube and JBA off road h pipe that someone is willing to sell me. Anyone know if I can put these two together.
[/b][/quote]

I dont see why not. If the H-Pipe bolts on to long tube, why not Hookers!
Old 2/6/06, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Hookers it is. Thanks gang.
Old 2/6/06, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

One more vote for JBA. A little hard to install (read the story here), but well worth it for the performance gains.

Out of curiosity, most of the posts here were from JBA owners. What decided you on Hookers?
Old 2/6/06, 05:20 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 6, 2006, 3:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I dont see why not. If the H-Pipe bolts on to long tube, why not Hookers!
[/b][/quote]
I doubt they'll fit together. It depends on 2 things.
1)the spread between the left and right headers.
2)The length of the headers.

The JBA are the longest headers that I know of.
They also have the biggest spread possible.

If you want to try this install your headers first and then see if everything will work out.

Here are a couple of pics to help you determine if it's even possible.

As you can see they're as spread out as you can get and they go almost as far back as the transmission crossmember.
Old 2/6/06, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

be sure to check rpmoutlet.com for prices.
Old 2/6/06, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BigWorm2005GT @ February 6, 2006, 7:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
One more vote for JBA. A little hard to install (read the story here), but well worth it for the performance gains.

Out of curiosity, most of the posts here were from JBA owners. What decided you on Hookers?
[/b][/quote]

The price. I called the place where Paul recommend and for the price, I can't beat it. $538 for ceramic coated LT headers. I also called a few other places regarding piping to fit the LT's and one shop recommended that they could cut something, then maybe I would have problems down the line with inspection. I am really concerned about the piping. I could by the piping for the Hookers, but that is going to run me $280 and I think that is to high for piping.

I do want the JBA's, but for the price the Hookers are the way to go.
Old 2/6/06, 11:37 PM
GT Member

look at it this way... if you got the jba's and the matching h pipe hookers would still be cheaper witht their expensive xpipe....
Old 2/8/06, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 7, 2006, 12:02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The price. I called the place where Paul recommend and for the price, I can't beat it. $538 for ceramic coated LT headers. I also called a few other places regarding piping to fit the LT's and one shop recommended that they could cut something, then maybe I would have problems down the line with inspection. I am really concerned about the piping. I could by the piping for the Hookers, but that is going to run me $280 and I think that is to high for piping.

I do want the JBA's, but for the price the Hookers are the way to go.
[/b][/quote]
Not sure if those prices include shipping or not but if they do JBA's with H pipe are only about another hundred bucks. If your prices are without shipping it is even less. Here is a page to look at.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-06-MUS...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 2/8/06, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

I changed it up. I just ordered the JBA's with the ceramic finish for 699.99, came to 709.00 with tax shipped to me. I am going to buy blackhats(Mike) off road h pipe and have the set up for 809.00. it came out cheaper with the hooker headers being so low. Their x pipe was expensive........

At least I will be happy at getting what I want instead of settling.
Old 2/8/06, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torrence @ February 8, 2006, 11:16 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I changed it up. I just ordered the JBA's with the ceramic finish for 699.99, came to 709.00 with tax shipped to me. I am going to buy blackhats(Mike) off road h pipe and have the set up for 809.00. it came out cheaper with the hooker headers being so low. Their x pipe was expensive........

At least I will be happy at getting what I want instead of settling.
[/b][/quote]
Sounds like a good deal. You will like them [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] .