GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Limited slip groan - to those who have fixed yourself....

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/06, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think my rear has any FM...I had 4.10's put in and I think its just royal purp now. I am going to add this bottle and hope I have the same outcome.

Let me warn everyone tho...that little small bottle of stuff STINKS BIG!!! Good greef I left it in my car and I had to air it out to get in. Then at home it started to smell up the garage. So I thre it in the grss untill i have time this weekend hahahaha.
Old 9/8/06, 11:45 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOLAGT
I dont think my rear has any FM...I had 4.10's put in and I think its just royal purp now. I am going to add this bottle and hope I have the same outcome.

Let me warn everyone tho...that little small bottle of stuff STINKS BIG!!! Good greef I left it in my car and I had to air it out to get in. Then at home it started to smell up the garage. So I thre it in the grss untill i have time this weekend hahahaha.
Uh YEAH!!
Sealed bottle and you can smell it right through the bottle.... the old crusty guy at the parts counter (who looked like he was THERE back when the dealership was originally built) called it 'panther pi**' and said 'don't get any on you if you know what's good for you'.

He wasn't lying......
Old 9/9/06, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

How easy was it to remove the plug? i tried earlier today and that thing would not budge one bit, then it bent/broke my3/8 extend on my ratchet...
Old 9/9/06, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Glad it worked for ya!
Old 9/17/06, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm not sure if I have the limited slip axle or not on my automatic...they were optional on GT automatics for 2006...how could I verify it?
Old 9/17/06, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Go to an empty lot and make several low speed figure 8's. You'll definetely hear it if you have it. Remember it will develop overtime- my car didn't have it until around 5000 miles (if I remember right).
Old 9/18/06, 10:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
I'm not sure if I have the limited slip axle or not on my automatic...they were optional on GT automatics for 2006...how could I verify it?
I don't remember the Limited slip axle ever being optional. I thought all GT's have it, so you should have it.
Old 9/18/06, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

lodom, there must be typo in the 2006 Mustang brochure...in the back where it lists what's standard and optional there is a note that the limited slip axle is optional for GTs with the Automatic Transmissions...check it out...
Old 9/20/06, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Can anyone who fixed the problem by adding their own friction modifier please re-post to let us know if you ended up encountering any other problems after adding the bottle?

I have the moan, and I want to take the car to the strip.

Is your clutch pack still functioning properly?

Thanks.
Old 9/20/06, 01:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I added a bottle to mine over a month ago, no groan, no problems. As far as I can tell the clutch packs still work fine, I've never had only one wheel break loose, so it looks like the limited slip still works fine. Easy, quick, cheap, and definetly worth it.
Old 9/20/06, 06:59 PM
GT Member

Thanks.

I just removed the magnetic plug to pour in the additive, and noted a fair amount of ferous metal on the plug- plenty of paste with metal particles/couple of small flakes.

Has anyone else noted the amount of ferous metal trapped by the magnetic plug? Seems like a lot to me for break-in on a 3800 mi car.

Maybe I have gear problems as well. I do not have any diff noise while driving straight, only while turning at low speeds.

Anyone?
Old 9/21/06, 08:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by helicfii
Thanks.

I just removed the magnetic plug to pour in the additive, and noted a fair amount of ferous metal on the plug- plenty of paste with metal particles/couple of small flakes.

Has anyone else noted the amount of ferous metal trapped by the magnetic plug? Seems like a lot to me for break-in on a 3800 mi car.

Maybe I have gear problems as well. I do not have any diff noise while driving straight, only while turning at low speeds.

Anyone?
I noticed the same thing, I cleaned it off and put it back in. I don't think it's a problem, the clutch material probably has a lot of metal in it. Clutch and brake pad material are both similar, and both are semi-metallic, so it's probably just the shavings and clutch dust. As long as you don't find any chunks, I think you'll be fine.
Also, I installed mine at over 20,000 miles.
Old 9/21/06, 10:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Helicfii,
See the second paragraph of my post here

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...1&postcount=59

I'm not completely blaming the XL-3 for the carrier bearings, but just letting you know my experience.
Old 3/22/07, 11:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well I have the groan too--hopefully it ended tonight after I added the XL3. I did about fifteen figure-eight's, but it was raining out so I couldn't tell if it was groaning anymore or not. THe test will be tomorrow at work!

I wish I had a picture of the location of the access plug, I had to find it, then figure out that I needed a long clear tube to get the additive in...so I had to put the wheel back on and drive to the store to get one.

Oh well.
Old 3/23/07, 12:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

the clutch packs were replaced on my car (the noise only showed up after 4.10 gears were installed). Once the new clutch packs were in, I haven't heard a peep from the rear when turning. I believe my clutch packs were replaced with the same exact packs, not an upgrade.
Old 3/23/07, 04:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Error404
the clutch packs were replaced on my car (the noise only showed up after 4.10 gears were installed). Once the new clutch packs were in, I haven't heard a peep from the rear when turning. I believe my clutch packs were replaced with the same exact packs, not an upgrade.

Do you have pics of the clutches that were removed from the car?

As far as I can tell, there are really only two Ford/OEM clutch designs used in the T-lok:

Type "B" which are the ones that we've used since the mid 80s in the 8.8". They look like sandpaper discs.

Type "C" which is the carbon-fiber clutch used in the 03-04 Cobra and the 07 GT500. Rumor has it that Ford used these in the S197 GT as well. They have a shuriken-like friction material pattern.

I posted the FRPP pics in various TMS threads before.
Old 3/23/07, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by metroplex
Do you have pics of the clutches that were removed from the car?

As far as I can tell, there are really only two Ford/OEM clutch designs used in the T-lok:

Type "B" which are the ones that we've used since the mid 80s in the 8.8". They look like sandpaper discs.

Type "C" which is the carbon-fiber clutch used in the 03-04 Cobra and the 07 GT500. Rumor has it that Ford used these in the S197 GT as well. They have a shuriken-like friction material pattern.

I posted the FRPP pics in various TMS threads before.
Here is a before and after pic of my 05 clutch packs. Are the ones I removed the carbon fiber looking ones you are referring to?
Old 3/23/07, 05:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for taking the time to take the photograph!!!!!!! Strangely, the white box in the upper left hand corner looks like the T-lok rebuild kit. The FRPP M-4700-B kit uses the same box.

On the left is the carbon-fiber clutch used in the 03-04 Cobra, 07 GT500, etc... On the right is the regular "B" clutch used in 86-up 8.8" Traction-Lok units.

FRPP pics:
Type "C" carbon-fiber clutches:

Type "B" regular clutches:

Was the clutch on the left taken from your factory 05-up Mustang GT rear end?
According to Ford Racing:
  • M-4700-C
  • Kit includes carbon fiber clutch pack, shims, S-spring and instruction sheet
  • Fits all 8.8" Traction-Lok differentials
  • Carbon fiber discs designed for higher torque usage
  • Used in 2003-04 and 2007 SVT Mustang Cobra
Old 3/23/07, 05:43 AM

Yes it came out of my 05 so it appears that the 05 had the carbon fiber clutches.
You are also correct in that the box was the M-4700-B which is what I have in the car now.

That may be why the originals lasted a good 650 runs.
Old 3/23/07, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

No one told me about the carbon fiber clutches 2 years ago, so I inadvertently purchased the M-4700-B clutches for my 00 Crown Vic t-lok install. Had I known about M-4700-C, I would have bought that and tested it out in my Vic. The "B" clutches are a weird beast. They can last as short as 5,000-10,000 miles or as long as 100,000 miles depending on how you drive. The more J-turns and burnouts that are done, the shorter the life (obviously) but normal driving won't kill it as quickly. They always slip when you make a turn.

Quick Reply: Limited slip groan - to those who have fixed yourself....