GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

launching an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/05, 03:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning to take it to the strip after I get a few more miles on it. May sound stupid but I've never driven an auto, other than rentals and a truck. How exactly do you launch? I'm assuming you hold the brake and rev it to the desired launch rpm and let it go. How bad is this on your tranny and brakes. Are there other techniques? I'm thinking slamming it into drive from N would really be hard on the trans and self shifting would most likely cause more lag than letting the auto do it's thing. Does having OD disabled change the shift points?

Any advice?
Old 2/3/05, 07:03 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by nynvolt@February 3, 2005, 4:50 AM
I'm planning to take it to the strip after I get a few more miles on it. May sound stupid but I've never driven an auto, other than rentals and a truck. How exactly do you launch? I'm assuming you hold the brake and rev it to the desired launch rpm and let it go. How bad is this on your tranny and brakes. Are there other techniques? I'm thinking slamming it into drive from N would really be hard on the trans and self shifting would most likely cause more lag than letting the auto do it's thing. Does having OD disabled change the shift points?

Any advice?
OD is just your 5th gear, if you turn it off, it will only use the first 4 gears, it doesn't change the shift points. Not too sure on launching an auto, I would think if you held the brake while pushing the gas that you would start to do a burnout, my guess is to just punch it when you see green.
Old 2/3/05, 09:35 AM
GT Member

You would have to hold the brake and give it gas at the same time. only problem is the stock converter has a very low stall speed. you might be able to get it around 1400 rpm max. this is where higher stall speed converters come in. if you were to put one of these in you can get them to go up to 3000 rpms if you want. then you put it to the floor and hold on. DO NOT neutral drop it! thats the worst for the tranny.
Old 2/3/05, 09:51 AM
FR500 Member

I can take it up to 2,500 RPM's with the stock converter with no problem.

Still lay 2 black crayon marks, just gotta get that timing right for minimal wheelspin!
Old 2/3/05, 03:57 PM
GT Member

I have an auto coming some day...how hard is this on the stock converter?

Is it ok to do just once in a while? Is a "cooling off" period needed?

I doubt I would do it very often...only when my wife was safe at home
Old 2/3/05, 05:05 PM
GT Member

Turn off the traction control. With stock tires spin the tires to get the dirt off. It really does not help to burn them down because of the compound. Air them down about 5 pounds. Turn on the top prestage light, then bump into the second light, better to deep stage (these leave slow stock), then hold the brake, torque up to 2000 to 2500 rpm, (2500 is on the brake pretty hard and binds up the suspension), then let err go when the last yellow comes on. Results: 2.11 to 2.09 60' 8.90 to 8.98 in 1/8th mile, and 13.80 to 13.90 at 98.21 mph is what you will get. At 3685 pounds. Spare tire out, 1/4 tank of gas. Then open the hood, let her cool down for about 20 to 30 mins then go at it again. Leave in drive with the OD on. It will not come on in the quarter mile. DO NOT go from neutral to any gear. :nono: Hope this helps.
Old 2/3/05, 07:44 PM
GT Member

Thanks Black Magic!

Now I've just got to wait p-a-t-i-e-n-t-l-y :sleep:
Old 2/3/05, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Even without powerbraking it, and just tromping on it from a dead stop you will be impressed with the performance this trans puts out. I think the best launch would be around 1800 rpm and then let it fly and hold on. But try it for yourself and see what happens as all cars are different. About a week ago I tried a rolling start at about 15mph and I was impressed with the results, the person I was up against was even more impressed. Ford did their homework when they matched this tranny to this engine. It is very durable and performance minded.
Old 2/3/05, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the advice. I have only done one full throttle take off from a complete stop once since I'be been kinda babying it. Holding the pedal to the floor till about 80mph. I was shocked at how hard the car pulled me back in my seat, had to actually exert extra force to keep my foot on the gas lol.
Old 2/4/05, 08:21 AM
FR500 Member

I also am driving an auto Mustang for the first time, so I have been experimenting a bit with take off. I have found out that I go faster if I ease into it a bit more instead of slamming the pedal to the floor. When I say "a bit", I just mean a little. If you are at the strip or just at a street light, I'd hold down the brake with your left foot and then with your right foot step on the accelerator before the light turns green... maybe to around 2k rpm. When it's time to go, let go of the brake and ease into the accelerator taking about 4 or 5 seconds to bring it to the floor. The car will pull steadily (and very stongly) all the way through the gears. I've found that if you slam the pedal, there is a lot more hesitation when shifting. Worth a try. But all cars are different, like LilHog said. So, just experiment with it... you'll know what works best for your car.
Old 2/4/05, 10:58 AM
GT Member

Thanks Auto Drivers!

All this info is great to have...makes the waiting a tad better

Lets keep it going...any others w/Auto experience?
Old 2/4/05, 11:07 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by acadian@February 4, 2005, 9:24 AM
I also am driving an auto Mustang for the first time, so I have been experimenting a bit with take off. I have found out that I go faster if I ease into it a bit more instead of slamming the pedal to the floor. When I say "a bit", I just mean a little. If you are at the strip or just at a street light, I'd hold down the brake with your left foot and then with your right foot step on the accelerator before the light turns green... maybe to around 2k rpm. When it's time to go, let go of the brake and ease into the accelerator taking about 4 or 5 seconds to bring it to the floor. The car will pull steadily (and very stongly) all the way through the gears. I've found that if you slam the pedal, there is a lot more hesitation when shifting. Worth a try. But all cars are different, like LilHog said. So, just experiment with it... you'll know what works best for your car.
I haven't done any realy LAUNCHES yet but I notice too that you do better steadily depressing the pedal instead of slammin it to the floor.....

(Although I think the SCT tune does away with that hesitation.... SCT tuner modders? Swingle?... Pick up line one?...)
Old 2/4/05, 11:34 AM
FR500 Member

Burke... I've got the SCT XCalibrator and I still have better success not puncing the pedal. It's not even throttle response so much as it is just the fact that the transmission shifts smoother. I'd be curious to hear what Swingle and/or Bryan have to say... I think they both have the SCT Xcalibrator as well as automatics, right?
Old 2/4/05, 11:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just picked up line 1....Hey Guys! LOL....I use the powerbrake method up to 1800-2000 rpm as well and then launch....no slowly putting my foot into it here...straight ground and pound action...LOL....haven't noticed it shifting worse when floored then it does when I ease into it...I do agree that it has nice pickup from 20 to 60 with just a half push into the acclerator when driving normally...must be what you guys are feeling as well...Not much in the way of tire spin for me after I installed the 275's....even with the 4.10's.....Bryan had our local speed shop/hangout do a quarter mile on their dyno and ran a 13.1 with it..I doubt very seriously that he eased into it and the time was very respectable..We're trying to organize a track date sometime soon so I'll be sure and keep everyone posted after I've tried the multiple launch variations that were mentioned above...Raising the redline and shift points with the SCT tune sure has helped....car pulls insanely hard and is a blast...i made a mental note on the tire deflation of 5lbs. so I can get the best holeshot and times at the track...wasn't something I've done in the past so thanks for that tidbit.... good luck all!

John
Old 2/4/05, 12:03 PM
FR500 Member

I have to go back on what I was saying after reading your post, John. When you think about it... when a car is put on a dyno, the pedal is always slammed to the floor. So you gotta think that is going to get you the best result. I'll keep easing into it when I'm just driving around and have an urge to go fast, but if I ever need to get the most out of it, I'll be pushing the pedal to the metal.