Search this Thread

Old 1/30/06, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a beautiful thing, brother.
Old 1/30/06, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats and good luck Don, think you will get the shaker to fit?
Old 1/30/06, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Grats Don,
Your install looks awesome. The injector issue you are having is probably something simple. Check the o-rings very close to make sure they didn't get nicked during the installation . Color me offically green with envy. No not green I am flat JEALOUS!! I also agree with Dan that the BAP should not be the problem. While it does increase fuel pressure above stock pressures it would leak on the other bank also. Good luck on the re-install of the shaker. I am sure it will be a female dog but will be great when you get it figured out. Looking forward to some new 1/8 vids very soon!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 1/30/06, 03:12 PM
GT Member

Congrats on finally being able to get it on there. It looks right at home. Now I have to start the anticipation all over again waiting for videos! Hope you get the injector issue resolved and I would try and take Clevelands advice with using the washers beneath the fuel rail bolts because you may be using stock rails but the manifold is completely different. Worth a try if nothing else.
Old 1/30/06, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone... tonight I'm going to pull the rail and double check all the o-rings again. Then I'm going to try and shim the brackets to level them out and see it that helps.

I started on the Shaker modification, and I'm about 95% sure it's going to work. I'll get back on that task after the fuel leak is solved.

And if everything goes well, I'll have vids from the track this Friday!!
Old 1/30/06, 05:25 PM
Big Falken Tires

Dude! (yeah I made it to the party late...... )

VERY nice - great pics!

Can't wait till you get the leak issue worked out. And that thing will be so sweet with the Shaker in place.....

Those guys at the track are gonna get to' up!
Old 1/30/06, 05:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Don,
I have looked at your pictures very carefully and wonder what you will be bolting the shaker too?? Will you be making brackets that come from the SC'er itself? Inquiring minds want to know.
Scott
Old 1/30/06, 06:20 PM

don
your car keeps gettin better man! good luck getting the issues resolved
Old 1/30/06, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

Awsome machine I must say!!! I hope ya find any easy fix for the injector leaks. The old O rings came out alright didn't they? Did the injectors stick at all when you pulled the others out? If they did, the old injector O rings might have stuck a bit in the rails and left pieces of the old O rings and causing your leaks. That happened to me fixing an old tractror. Just something to check.
Old 1/30/06, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on the install don.Looks awsume .Hope you can get the Shaker hooked back up,1st auto with a KB.........and Shaker .Cant wait to see vids don.
Old 1/30/06, 06:54 PM

Very nice, well worth the wait I imagine. You deserve it, as much as some of those unsuspecting competitors will be at Quallcomm.
Old 1/31/06, 09:02 AM

It looks like the fuel leak problem is under control (fingers crossed). As a test, I stuck the factory 24# units back in the car last night, and I also placed a shim under the clamp bolt to level it out. After cycling the key a few times, no leak.

Meanwhile, Adam was working with Kenne Bell trying to determine if something else was going on. They took some 24# and 39# factory Ford injectors and measured the various dimensions on them. Interestingly (and as Adam suspected), they found out that the 39# injectors are about 0.030" smaller in diameter under the upper o-ring area than the 24# ones. KB will be looking at finding a slightly larger o-ring to offset the difference, and they will send me a set. It is odd that these injectors have been around a while, and leaks appear to be hit or miss. One side of my car has no problems at all, but the other has been a PITA. If any of you have had any leaking issues with 39# injectors, this may be the reason.

Anyway, I reinstalled the 39# units I had, but I was very careful to keep the fuel rail clamp pressure evenly distributed by putting spacers on the clamp bolt. Again, no apparent leaks when cycling the key on/off. So, I took it out for a short drive late last night, and didn't see or smell anything when I go back. So far... so good.

Next up... getting the Shaker Scoop back on.
Old 1/31/06, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER+January 30, 2006, 4:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ January 30, 2006, 4:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Don,
I have looked at your pictures very carefully and wonder what you will be bolting the shaker too?? Will you be making brackets that come from the SC'er itself? Inquiring minds want to know.
Scott [/b]

Scott... right now the best spot looks to be the brackets on the alternater/coolant crossover. They are near the front of the scoop and accessible. I will be testing a mockup bracket today.

<!--QuoteBegin-dhof303
@January 30, 2006, 5:57 PM
Very nice, well worth the wait I imagine. You deserve it, as much as some of those unsuspecting competitors will be at Quallcomm. [/quote]
I plan on being at the Q this Friday for some test-n-tune runs, so that we can keep improving the tune!
Old 1/31/06, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Good find on the upper O-ring size...Glad you seem to have it figured out. Keep us posted on the issue...I can't wit to see the shaker set up...
Old 1/31/06, 02:54 PM

Just a follow-up on the fuel leak. After more discussion between Adam and KB, it appears they will also be modifying the design on the fuel rail clamps, as well. I should be getting a new set from them fairly soon.
Old 1/31/06, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

Good stuff, those "hold downs" for the fuel rails look horrible in terms of function. Im glad you found the issue with the leaks.

-Dan
Old 1/31/06, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hi Don,
Glad you seemed to have found the injector issue. Very strange about the o-ring size. I thought all Ford injectors were interchangable on the same fuel rail. On my 96 Cobra I went from 24 lb. to 39 lb with no issues. Makes me wonder if someone got the wrong size o-rings on that set of injectors. :scratch: However I am glad you are solving your issues. I am looking forward to waking up Sunday morning and seeing your vids from the track. I'm not pushing you too hard am I? I get up at 5 am. (2am your time) that should give you plenty of time. Just kidding. If you can get your hands on some good fuel for this weekend. It never hurts. Be safe!!!!
Scott
Old 1/31/06, 04:34 PM

After more scrutiny on the injectors this morning, the size differential wasn't a much as thought last night. The following is from Adam at S.T. Motorsports.

Originally posted by Adam - S.T. Motorsports
When I got to Kenne Bell this morning at 9:45am, Ken already had jumped on the issue. Ken already found a problem with clamps for the rails and had the cure under construction before 10am. The injectors were actually .006 off from the stock injectors, which would not cause a problem had the clamps been ok. The problem is a vendor issue, not KB issue. The original clamps fit the early design manifold, but was a hair off on the production manifold. The problem is solved and the exisiting kits will have the clamps. The few kits that have been sold will be updated as well.
Old 1/31/06, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

I knew those hold downs didnt look right and was the problem. ats self on back: :P

-Dan

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell 2.4L Supercharger Installed