GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

KB blower update

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/05 | 04:43 PM
GT Member

Im sure there are some people out there holding out for the Kenne Bell '05 kit as I am one of them. I have called them and emailed them a million times and finally got a response today and thought I would share it with all of you. "The release date has been pushed back as our casting company messed up all the castings. We are looking at about 60-75 days now. Thank you, KB."
Just seems to be one excuse after another with them but for whatever reason I am still waiting for it. Jan
Old 9/27/05 | 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

That, or they saw the elegant simplicity of the inverted Saleen design and are trying to somehow re-engineer theirs!
Old 9/27/05 | 05:31 PM
GT Member

Do you happen to know what it will cost?
Old 9/27/05 | 06:39 PM
GT Member

the price for the non polished version is going to be around $5400 they said and they will be using SCT tuning not that it matters because a custom tune has proved far better than any of the canned tunes on the supercharger kits already out. They said the introductory kit will be around 6-7 psi and put out roughly 450 rwhp. I myself am taking the nitrous route right now because I cannot dish out this kind of money right now and because I am sick of waiting.
Old 9/27/05 | 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Good, more time to build the bottom end of these motors.
Old 9/27/05 | 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

And to see how much Hp can be gotten out of them N/A.
Old 9/27/05 | 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Sonic Brew@September 27, 2005, 8:52 PM
And to see how much Hp can be gotten out of them N/A.
Without anything major it's about 400 at the wheel.
Old 9/27/05 | 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Well you state you are not in a rush but you are upset they do not have the blower out yet. :scratch: But you cannot afford to buy it anyways at this time. If you can afford it get the Saleen kit. If not, wait and save for the KB. Late this year or the early part of next year is really not that far away.
Old 9/27/05 | 11:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Import-Slaya@September 27, 2005, 2:58 PM
That, or they saw the elegant simplicity of the inverted Saleen design and are trying to somehow re-engineer theirs!
That sounds about right! I love the simplicity of the Saleen supercharger. If I was in the market for one that would be the one I would get hands down. It makes plenty of power with very modest and safe boost levels, and it looks like a factory installation. Not to mention the fact that you can actually get to the front of your engine later for service unlike with the centrifugal kits. Ok, back to the topic at hand now...
Old 9/28/05 | 12:38 AM
Bullitt Member

does anybody have a pic of the saleen supercharger
Old 9/28/05 | 06:20 AM
GT Member

haha everyone on here knows that theres always times when you can not afford something but you find a way for the sake of speed. On that note, yes the saleen is a very nice unit and I have considered it many times. As of right now though I guess I will do the "right" thing and save some money for now and try this zex kit out and test the bottom end of these motors that way.

p.s. I am not upset they are taking this long with it because its better to get it right first. However they should not have given out a million different release dates in the meantime.
Old 9/28/05 | 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

KB has done the same thing with all of their other kits. I remember they took their time releasing the 2V kit and the 4V Cobra kit (non '03-04 models). All of their kits are well thought out and make great power. But the Saleen kit is what I would aim for at this time. Save your money on the zex / bottom end and go for the Saleen. Then start saving for the bottom end when you boost the power up. There is only so much power you can use on the street unless you intend on drag racing a lot. What do you intend to do w/ the car? What are your goals? Those are the questions I ask when I am planning my mods.
Old 9/28/05 | 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

The KB will allow for much more growth in the long run. I don't really trust saleens numbers.
Old 9/28/05 | 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

The aesthetics of their kits have always troubled me. I prefer the looks of the Saleen SC over anything I've seen from KB. Numbers are usually good though, if that is the end all be all.
Old 9/28/05 | 09:13 PM

I don't usually sport negative feedback about mods unless I have had a personal experience with either the company or the product that causes me to feel compelled to warn others of possible troubles. Some of my first posts in this forum had to do with exploring the KB option for my car, it ended abruptly with Mr. Bell badmouthing me among others on Stangnet after a poor customer service experience. I was a potential customer looking to purchase their product and find out the same info many of you have been waiting for for months but as I found out from JBA from CA Kenne Bell is horrible to deal with when it comes to service issues and troubleshooting. Sure they have a great product and they have helped a few people sort out some problems when it is convenient but for the most part any company that their CEO is willing to publicly trash talk someone regardless of the circumstances shouldn't expect to have a large population of satisfied customers. For those of you who are die hard KB lovers this is not personal to you but rather consider it as me telling 10 people (or more) about my bad experience.
Old 9/29/05 | 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Shifty@September 28, 2005, 6:45 PM
The KB will allow for much more growth in the long run. I don't really trust saleens numbers.
What exactly are you talking about? JDMEngineering already has the saleen unit putting nearly 500RWHP out on a stock longblock. What don't you trust about those numbers? Are you looking to make a track car and 1000HP, if so the Saleen is definitely not the ideal unit, but I don't think you'll find anything much better for the street. :scratch:
Old 9/29/05 | 08:54 AM
GT Member

Actually the Saleen unit is larger than the blower KB will be putting on the '05 which means more potential for the Saleen. Saleen's is 2300CC compared to KB's 1700 and 2200. I know they might be coming out with something using their 2400 but not yet and also would require a built bottom end although that in itself is a whole other discussion. I think what made me want the KB over the saleen is the power numbers right out of the box even though the saleen only needs a pulley and a tune to be right up there.
Old 9/29/05 | 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by wsmatau@September 29, 2005, 8:00 AM
What exactly are you talking about? JDMEngineering already has the saleen unit putting nearly 500RWHP out on a stock longblock. What don't you trust about those numbers? Are you looking to make a track car and 1000HP, if so the Saleen is definitely not the ideal unit, but I don't think you'll find anything much better for the street. :scratch:
I agree. What exactly is someone looking for then plan for the upgrades needed. Remember you cannot just put on the blower w/o planning for other upgrades, ie... bigger brakes, better clutch and suspension. You don't really NEED these items but it makes for better car. I have heard of issues w/ KB's service before. What company does not have any complaints from some of their customers. I just like the look of the Saleen kit and the performance. If you want a track car you can look at all of the blowers but a nice street car I would plan for the Saleen.
Old 10/12/05 | 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by wsmatau@September 29, 2005, 8:00 AM
I would hardly call 430hp "nearly 500."

Also, the Saleen is a roots style S/C, while the Kenne Bell is twin screw. The Saleen makes up for its tendency to produce more heat by including an intercooler with the kit, but the intercooler takes energy from the engine, and also it weighs more.

I think that Kenne Bell's 2.2L S/C will put out more HP than Saleen's 2.3L. Only time will tell.

If anyone is interested in more S/C information:
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=22
Old 10/12/05 | 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Shea@October 12, 2005, 12:16 PM
I would hardly call 430hp "nearly 500."

Also, the Saleen is a roots style S/C, while the Kenne Bell is twin screw. The Saleen makes up for its tendency to produce more heat by including an intercooler with the kit, but the intercooler takes energy from the engine, and also it weighs more.

I think that Kenne Bell's 2.2L S/C will put out more HP than Saleen's 2.3L. Only time will tell.

If anyone is interested in more S/C information:
http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=22
Since when was the Saleen S/C a roots type? It's a twin screw. Please edit out the ignorance in that post so you don't misguide any members. :nono:

Quick Reply: KB blower update