GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

k&n air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/04, 05:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i went in to the local auto zone today thinking i was going to get a k&n air filter for my new 05...i'm not going to do anything big$ yet, so i thought this would be a good place to start making it my own.

well...needless to say, they don't have a catalog w/ a 2005 mustang in it, they didn't have any information in the computer. and they didn't know how to find it. i looked on k&n's website as well with no luck.

anyone else heard anything about it or when one will be available?

sorry if this has already been asked...i looked but didn't find anything.

Old 11/29/04, 06:08 PM
Cobra R Member

"If you build it K&N will come"

They do not have it done yet. This topic has already been on this forum and I believe that there are some non K&N alternatives out there. I want a K&N for my 05 GT too! The K&N gave my old 03 GT a 20 percent increase in MPG!
From 18 and change combined to 23 and change combined.
Old 11/30/04, 06:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 38special@November 29, 2004, 7:11 PM
"If you build it K&N will come"

They do not have it done yet. This topic has already been on this forum and I believe that there are some non K&N alternatives out there. I want a K&N for my 05 GT too! The K&N gave my old 03 GT a 20 percent increase in MPG!
From 18 and change combined to 23 and change combined.
that sounds awesome. i'll be looking forward to a mpg improvment if i can get one.

B)
Old 11/30/04, 07:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Since I am new to K&N and any modification. When you say K&N Air Filter, do you mean just the basic replacement version for aprox $45 or do you mean the whole induction filter kit for aprox $180?
Old 11/30/04, 08:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Just the K&N air filter. It is supposed to allow 50% more air flow than paper filters.
Old 11/30/04, 10:52 AM
FR500 Member

I am also wanting a K&N filter. I would have ordered the cold air kit from MMR, but it comes with an S&B filter instead of K&N. Never heard of that. Plus, it's $200 and my budget is tight being that it is around Christmas time. Has anyone heard of S&B filters? MMR says that S&B filters outlflow K&N, yet still filter more debris. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 11/30/04, 12:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Kluski@November 30, 2004, 8:11 AM
Since I am new to K&N and any modification. When you say K&N Air Filter, do you mean just the basic replacement version for aprox $45 or do you mean the whole induction filter kit for aprox $180?
i was thinking just the filter. i haven't heard anythiNG about the induction kit. i'm still kinda weary about doing too much to the car. i'd like to keep the warranty on it, but i've got the itch to start turning it in to my own.
Old 11/30/04, 01:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by ZERO+November 30, 2004, 1:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ZERO @ November 30, 2004, 1:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kluski@November 30, 2004, 8:11 AM
i was thinking just the filter. i haven't heard anythiNG about the induction kit. i'm still kinda weary about doing too much to the car. i'd like to keep the warranty on it, but i've got the itch to start turning it in to my own. [/b][/quote]
I know what you mean. I have never modified a car before. But after being on this site, I am getting all kinds of ideas. Now I just need all kinds of money to go along with it.
Old 12/2/04, 12:34 AM
Cobra R Member

I read some where in this forum where a guy took a K&N filter and cut it down 1/4 inch all around and it fit in the air box. I can't find it. Will one of you search pros find it and bring it back to life. Thanks
Old 12/2/04, 11:10 AM
FR500 Member

That was Byan ("2005RedGT") I believe. I think it was a filter from a '91 Lincoln. He ordered the MMR intake kit, as I just recently did. I did some research on S&B, and they are as good if not better than K&N. Talk to Bryan... I bet he's gonna be willing to sell his modified K&N filter to anyone who is just looking for a filter and not a CAI or MAF kit.
Old 12/2/04, 11:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by acadian@December 2, 2004, 12:13 PM
a CAI or MAF kit.
What is the difference between the Cold Air Intake and the Mass Air Flow kit?

Do they effect the gas mileage at all?
Old 12/2/04, 11:44 AM
FR500 Member

Depends on who you ask. Recently I have heard that cold air isn't any better than hot air... as long as you get the most air into the engine. Not really sure which one is better. Mark at MMR said that they did tests with and without a heat shield on their intake kits (with the hood closed) and the results with the shield were no better.
Old 12/2/04, 01:28 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm definately going to be tossing in a K&N kit when they are available.
Old 12/2/04, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

do you guys know if the v6 and gt filters are the same size? if so there is a guy in that post in the v6 tech and already has on in its a 10"x10" i believe he said but the stock is 10"x9.25" he said it was tight but i did fit in the air box and sealed nicely hope that helps you guys out!!
Old 12/2/04, 02:45 PM
FR500 Member

That's the one Bryan got for his GT, so I would assume they are the same size.

Edit: And I measured mine a while back (I have a GT), and it was roughly 10x10.
Old 12/2/04, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

Yes, I have that K&N. I can sell it to someone if they want it. It is trimmed and was used for 2 weeks.
Old 12/2/04, 04:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by acadian@December 2, 2004, 12:47 PM
Depends on who you ask. Recently I have heard that cold air isn't any better than hot air... as long as you get the most air into the engine. Not really sure which one is better. Mark at MMR said that they did tests with and without a heat shield on their intake kits (with the hood closed) and the results with the shield were no better.
You are correct about that. This forun is like any other one on the web. Full of those that know and those that know not but think they do and those that flat don't know --and are asking questions to enlighten themselves.
I find these posting educational and and a source amusement. No matter which group we are in WE all love the 05 Mustang.
Old 12/2/04, 08:58 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@December 2, 2004, 12:47 PM
Depends on who you ask. Recently I have heard that cold air isn't any better than hot air...
sorry, but i call BS.

I'm no internal combustion expert, don't claim to be, nor am i a physics whiz. That said, this is elementary physics. Hot air is less dense (the reason it rises). Colder, and therefore denser air, is going to have more molecules of combustible oxygen in the same volume. Thats the entire point of forced induction. The turbo/supercharger pressurizes the air, compressing more oxygen into the same amount of space. Thats also why intercoolers are used prior to entering the blower, to give the densest possible starting point before pressure is applied.

If MMR didn't see improvement with their heatshield, my armchair engineer guess would be that the heatwash isn't seriously affecting the temperture of the intake air, and that the stock setup is already providing sufficent airflow away from this heatwash. That begs the question of why MMR is marketing a heatshield that by their own admission makes no difference, and why they're marketing an increased flow filter and MAF as a CAI. CAI used to mean relocation of the airbox, for decreased temperature and increased intake. Now it seems everyone is calling a more free flowing filter a "CAI".
Old 12/3/04, 07:18 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by sqweak+December 2, 2004, 10:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sqweak @ December 2, 2004, 10:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-acadian@December 2, 2004, 12:47 PM
Depends on who you ask. Recently I have heard that cold air isn't any better than hot air...
sorry, but i call BS.

I'm no internal combustion expert, don't claim to be, nor am i a physics whiz. That said, this is elementary physics. Hot air is less dense (the reason it rises). Colder, and therefore denser air, is going to have more molecules of combustible oxygen in the same volume. Thats the entire point of forced induction. The turbo/supercharger pressurizes the air, compressing more oxygen into the same amount of space. Thats also why intercoolers are used prior to entering the blower, to give the densest possible starting point before pressure is applied.

If MMR didn't see improvement with their heatshield, my armchair engineer guess would be that the heatwash isn't seriously affecting the temperture of the intake air, and that the stock setup is already providing sufficent airflow away from this heatwash. That begs the question of why MMR is marketing a heatshield that by their own admission makes no difference, and why they're marketing an increased flow filter and MAF as a CAI. CAI used to mean relocation of the airbox, for decreased temperature and increased intake. Now it seems everyone is calling a more free flowing filter a "CAI". [/b][/quote]
I completely agree with you.
Old 12/3/04, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

They never called it a cold air intake. Here is what it is called and it's description:

MMR Annihilator intake kit

This is the finest intake kit you can buy for your 05’ GT, the MMR kit replaces the restrictive factory airbox, mass air sensor housing and panel filter with our high flow mass air sensor housing and washable element filter, adds 8-15RWHP and a smooth, deep growl for the new 3 valve V-8 engine (no noise increase at idle or cruise speeds.)

Quick Reply: k&n air filter