GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Just when I thought GTA's were enough...

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/07, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just when I thought GTA's were enough...

Anyone have a clip of FRPP x-pipe + FRPP GTA's?

Just when I thought my GTA's were perfect, I want a little deeper roar. I'm thinking the FRPP x-pipe will add some volume. I'd like to spice things up a bit so let me know what you think. I want to keep my GTA's because of the zero drone (convertible) but want more volume (and a tiny bump in HP).
Old 10/14/07, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

shelby gt's have the same set up. check youtube. x pipe + gta's is a very popular combo.
Old 10/14/07, 02:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rich..(Graypony) Just had this exact setup until like 2 days ago. He took off the GTA's and put the Borla's or FFRP Stingers back on. I think he has a clip of the old GTA setup. Send him a PM and ask him to post it.
Scott
Old 10/14/07, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my youtube video of stock 07 GT exhaust vs. FRPP X-pipe and GTAs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUSCOgffMZI

There isn't a huge difference between the two. I am probably going to go with the Borla stingers in a couple weeks after I get another ride in GRAYPNY's mustang again to double check noise/drone levels.

I think that consensus is that a H-pipe will give a more mellow tone than a X-pipe. I am just hoping the X will somehow mitigate the drone of the borlas.
Old 10/14/07, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You may want to consider an off-road H or X pipe.That will make it quite a bit louder, while still keeping you drone-free.
I had the same issue, currently have the Pypes mid-muffler. I've got a clip on youtube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fANDdIp2GjY

I'm going to keep my GTA's;that I just recently removed, for when I go with either L/T's or an O/R H pipe.
Old 10/14/07, 09:00 PM
GT Member

I had a FRPP-X with GTAs. Adding the X smoothed the exhaust tone, and made it a bit louder at WOT, but nothing dramatic. If you're looking for louder, you probably won't be satisfied by the difference with FRPP X. I wanted louder and replaced the GTA by Stingers and I'm very happy with the swap.
Old 10/14/07, 10:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sycd
I had a FRPP-X with GTAs. Adding the X smoothed the exhaust tone, and made it a bit louder at WOT, but nothing dramatic. If you're looking for louder, you probably won't be satisfied by the difference with FRPP X. I wanted louder and replaced the GTA by Stingers and I'm very happy with the swap.
Hi Sycd,
Do you have a sound clip of your stingers with the X-pipe? Is there considerable drone with your setup? I'm guessing it's more burbly with the X-pipe vs. stock H pipe, but is it obnoxiously louder? I'm pretty sold on replacing my GTAs with the stingers...but I'm on the fence about keeping my cats and the FRPP X-pipe or getting an off road H-pipe (which might be obnoxiosly loud). Maybe your setup is the magic combination?

Sorry for the hundred questions but I'm really curious about your setup...I wish you lived in Southern California so I could hear what it sounds like.
~Ray
Old 10/14/07, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

You want to make the GTAs really talk, put a set of long tube headers on with either a catted H or o/r H. I really love the my setup as you can see in my sig.
Old 10/15/07, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

i would get some high flow cats, my car sounds much better than the shelby and still has no drone.
Old 10/15/07, 12:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tifo
Hi Sycd,
Do you have a sound clip of your stingers with the X-pipe? Is there considerable drone with your setup? I'm guessing it's more burbly with the X-pipe vs. stock H pipe, but is it obnoxiously louder? I'm pretty sold on replacing my GTAs with the stingers...but I'm on the fence about keeping my cats and the FRPP X-pipe or getting an off road H-pipe (which might be obnoxiosly loud). Maybe your setup is the magic combination?

Sorry for the hundred questions but I'm really curious about your setup...I wish you lived in Southern California so I could hear what it sounds like.
~Ray
Not my video nor my car but here's a good vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJT_W-WhLUc

That's GRAYPNY's car I believe.

I don't have the shortie headers he has on his car but they don't seem to make much difference here.
Old 10/15/07, 12:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by n00bstang
shelby gt's have the same set up. check youtube. x pipe + gta's is a very popular combo.
It might be my imagination, but I think that the Shelby I rented sounded a bit more aggressive than my GT with the GTAs (no X-pipe).

Could the tune have something to do with it?
Old 10/15/07, 05:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
It might be my imagination, but I think that the Shelby I rented sounded a bit more aggressive than my GT with the GTAs (no X-pipe).

Could the tune have something to do with it?
Yeah, it must be the tune. Usually a tune will make your exhaust louder. I had the FRPP tune and it makes the exhaust sound more aggressive than stock. It made the car sound more aggressive than a Brenspeed tune as well, but it was nowhere near as fast
Old 10/15/07, 07:28 PM
V6 Member

If you're looking to add a deeper roar, get the o/r h, not the x. A cai and tune will also deepen the tone.