GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Just ordered Saleen Supercharger Kit from JDM, good or bad decision?

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/06, 05:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just ordered Saleen Supercharger Kit from JDM, good or bad decision?

Hi there

I've just ordered this kit from JimIII at JDM:-
Saleen / JDM Stage 2 450RWHP Supercharger Package
http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/contents/image.php?image[0]=../images/products/kit2.jpg&font=&color=&fontsize=&

450RWHP!!! Everything you need to make your 2005-2007 Mustang move! Saleen / JDM Supercharger Stage 1 Package Includes:
• Saleen Supercharger Kit
• XCalibrator 2 Tuner
• Cold Air Kit
• 90mm Mass air
• Harness
• 39 LB. injectors
• 3.40 Pulley (9.5PSI)
• Belt
• Ford Racing Spark Plugs
• C&L with JDM Boots
• Motor Mounts

My Car is a Saleen S281 with following modifications:-
Bassani LT Headers
Bassani Off-Road X-Pipe
Saleen Cat Back Centre exit exhaust
3:55 Gears
Manual/stick transmission
DSS LIGHTWEIGHT DRIVESHAFT (26LBS)
Saleen 20" Tyre & Wheel upgrade
Octane 93 GAS (SHELL V-Power)

My car is used as my daily driver covering approx 15,000 miles per year. The car has to be reliable and I don't want to take any risk.

Is the above kit a good buy? Will my stock engine, stock fuel pump cope with this?

I believe that due to my LT Headers and off-road X-Pipe I will no doubt be putting down approx 470RWHP. I am just worried about possibly my A/F leaning out too much at higher RPM's due to the fuel pump not coping or my engine be pushed to far and close to the limit.

Are there many other guys here running similar setups with the 3.40 (9.5PSI) pulley and how are their cars?

To narrow it down I don't drag race but I do want a very fast street car thats 110% safe and reliable. So can I have your guys recommendations. Also I cannot get my car on dyno as I am in UK so will be relying on email tunes from JimIII to get my car running sweet.

Also at moment I am DE-CATTED but am getting trumpeting at 2000-2500rpm will this trumpeting maybe dissapear with the supercharger added? If it does not and I put CAT's back in how much will my RWHP drop with the supercharger?

Any input and comments appreciated. Maybe the 3.60 pulley would be safer at 7.5psi boost? I am gonna speak to JimIII more too as he is a top bloke, replied to all my emails and very nice to speak to on the phone. Though I think he recommends the 3.40 pulley (9.5psi) because the LT's loose some of the boost maybe?

Sorry for so many question.

Thanks

Gibbo
Old 10/11/06, 06:31 AM
Cobra Member

JDM has been selling and tuning these bad boys for a while with great sucess. I am sure you will be very happy with their support and tunes.

-Bryan
Old 10/11/06, 07:40 AM
GT Member

Hi there

As this will by myself and my mechanics first supercharger installation on a Mustang can you guys give any installation advice or tips?
Old 10/11/06, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Sweet man! You are in the best hands with JDM. If you told him what other mods you have on your car, it will be set up right. As far as the sound, your car won't sound all that different. It's just gonna roast your tires and plant you back in the seat. Oh, and your face will hurt from the permagrin!
Old 10/11/06, 10:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cali HP addict
Sweet man! You are in the best hands with JDM. If you told him what other mods you have on your car, it will be set up right. As far as the sound, your car won't sound all that different. It's just gonna roast your tires and plant you back in the seat. Oh, and your face will hurt from the permagrin!
Hi m8

Thanks for your input.

I see from your mods you have uprated fuel pumps. Yet in the kit JDM are sorting for me I will still be on stock fuel pumps and am gonna be using 3.40 pulley, is this gonna be safe and OK on the street?

Do you think a 3.60 pulley will be a better idea for better drivability on the street and to make sure I have no reliability options?

I never go to the strip I just want a fast street car that is drivable and reliable. Also my wheels are 20" with 275/45/20 Pirreli tyres and I am on stock 3:55 gears if that helps yourself and anybody else in answering my questions.

My other mods are Bassani LTs (Think they are the 1 5/8 size) along with Bassani off-road X-Pipe but I think I will put CATS back in due to trumpeting noise. I see you have Granatelli COP's did they make any difference to your car?

Thanks

Andy
Old 10/11/06, 10:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Does it need a bigger fuel pump? I know some like vortex will if you keep dialing it up and up. I am sure if you are getting a complete kit from JDM it will be right. If in doubt call em.
Old 10/11/06, 11:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Does it need a bigger fuel pump? I know some like vortex will if you keep dialing it up and up. I am sure if you are getting a complete kit from JDM it will be right. If in doubt call em.
HI there

The 3.40 pulley is fine on the stock fuelling according to JDM with their kit and tune. However we've both agreed that it will probably break loose to easy on the 3.40 pulley and as my car is used only on the street have decided the 3.60 pulley is the better option to go for.

With any luck the end result will be something approx 450RWHP, maybe a little more. I just want something reliable and I can actually drive on the street. My wheels are 20" with 275/45/20 Pirreli tyres so not too much flex, so not best for hooking up. Though I think the Saleen suspension might help a little to hook the power though?
Old 10/11/06, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I built a Saleen clone and am using the Saleen Supercharger but have it with the stock pulley and tune. I did the install myself except for when it came time to actually lift the blower and put it on the block. Using three people made it much easier for that part. It has been very reliable and I am putting down just under 400hp to the wheels. I have heard mixed results about increasing the horsepower in the S197 mustangs. Some people do fine with over 500hp but others have engine failures. I can't help you with that part. Most people blame it on bad tunes but I am a little skeptical about the non-forged parts in the 3v 4.6 As much as I would like to have more horsepower I want an engine that is going to last more than one year.
Old 10/11/06, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

460+ whp must be nice....

I think that might be my next upgrade...
Old 10/11/06, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

You made a good choice GIBBO.JDM is top notch wheen it comes to the Saleen S/C(it's there "Thang" ).There always there for you and have great support.

Good Luck and post updates!

-John
Old 10/12/06, 06:30 AM
V6 Member

JDM was my only choice when shopping for my Saleen blower. You can see in my sig what I have on my car....pushing 425 and 404 to the rear with a very conservative tune. My car is a (non-rain/snow) daily driver, 25+ miles a day to work and I could not be happier. I thought it would be rough drivng in traffic, but it drives like a dream. In my opinion, it really feels like a mustang should be from the factory! I have had no issues with the stock fuel pump, but may upgrade in the future as I add a few more goodies (LT's, driveshaft, TB...). I also am running the stock rear with no issues. I think you made a good choice with JDM Enjoy the ride!
Old 10/12/06, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

I can't think of any reasons why this Saleen blower kit would be a bad choice. Congrats and enjoy!

P.S.: don't forget to post pics & vids when you're done!
Old 10/12/06, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Saleen / JDM Stage 2 450RWHP Supercharger Package
$6,971.00 $6,195.00

pricey.....
Old 10/12/06, 06:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't understand why you would ask if it was a good decision AFTER you ordered it? There are lots of choices out there and hopefully you did your homework.
Old 10/13/06, 08:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

Have had my Saleen s/c since July - it has been great. Also have the "basic" unit and getting 389 RWHP. Think you will be pleased. Have heard nothing but good comments on JDM.
Old 10/14/06, 06:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I don't understand why you would ask if it was a good decision AFTER you ordered it? There are lots of choices out there and hopefully you did your homework.
+1, that's like closing the barn door after the horse has run out.

You asked if it's a good buy, but you didn't even post how much you paid. And your link doesn't work. I had to go look on the website and assume you paid the advertised amount.

There's no way I would spend 6+ grand on a mod like this without investigating every option.

But you will be more than happy with the Saleen. I would do some searches over at modularfords.com, lots of info on installs.