GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Just Bought an 08 Whipple Supercharged GT...what do i need to look for

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/11, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Bought an 08 Whipple Supercharged GT...what do i need to look for

hey guys i just bought an 08 GT with a the ford racing whipple supercharger in it and the boost gage is reading 10lbs of boost......now my question is what do i need to look for to find out if it is tuned correctly....the dealership had no idea about any of that stuff weather it was tuned with a hand held or a flashed ecu......i will post pics of it next week.....if you guys could help me out it would be great...also how do i check if the car has a dual fuel pump set up cause i know it needs it if it is running 10lbs of boost....also how do i find out what injectors the car has....im new to the site so i hope to have a great experience here
Old 4/15/11, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

The only real way to check the tune is take it to a shop that does deal with tunes. I would assume that if it is a gt that has the supercharger added as an aftermarket item then it should have been tuned by someone. As for the dual fuel pump set up i really dont have an answer for that.
Old 4/15/11, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Did your car come with a tuner? As GTPony stated, you best bet is to take to a shop that tunes Mustangs and have it dynoed along with having them review the current tuning parameters as they can easily verify all facets of the tune.
Old 4/15/11, 04:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
welcome to TMS
Old 4/15/11, 10:50 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to TMS. And like they suggested, I think your best bet would be to take it to a shop that tunes Mustangs and has a dyno. Let them check out the current tune's parameters, and I'm sure they could help you out with any other questions as well.
Old 4/16/11, 11:51 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What they said...

You might as well check the fuel system, spark plugs and maybe even go as far as compression test JUST to make sure everything is right. You'd be surprised what you find, sometimes.
Old 4/18/11, 05:05 AM
GT Member

You have to get it dynotuned, since you don't know if the car has ever had one. The air/fuel ratio and such may be well-off. Car might be running lean under heavy boost. Those gauges are not always accurate. The tuners will know all about the injectors, pumps etc....or should.

Until then....stay out of boost or try...lol
Old 4/19/11, 08:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

You need to look for a drag strip..... After doing the above mentioned.
Old 4/19/11, 06:03 PM
GT Member

you can tell by the color of the injectors if they are stock or 39 lb, 39s are usually blue... (should be 39s or more if the sc was installed as a kit)....the pumps you can pull the back seat bottom out and check by opening the access panel and looking at the pump assembly...may be able to judge this with just a flashlight and not pull it all the way out...it will either have a walbro strapped on ala Vortech design!! or a set of gt500 pumps, also you may be able to tell about the pumps if you can locate a additional fuel pump drive module that would be there if it had a GT500 set in it...might wanna look around for a semi hidden kennebell boost a pump controller as well??? ...you should at least pull a spark plug out and check the PN to ensure its a one heat range colder plug at least... should pull them all just to make sure they arent seized up in there anyway...check gaps etc. yours is a 08 so it likely has the better designed heads with a normal thread plug vice the two peice nightmare 05-08 had.....

---- you bought a car that needs some extra toys to make the most of it and it needs to be right or you will be sad in a hurry!!! i would get a SCT tuner either from a online store (bama, am muscle, blowby, LFP, livernois....on and on!!) and get a mail order tune or 3 in it after telling them your specs...then get that tune in it before beating on it much...or take it to a dyno shop and have a tune made for it on the dyno that they keep in their database (if they will offer that) or buy a tuner from them with the dyno tune and alternate tunes in it for your use.... and most of all have fun with your Whipple!!!!

--- by the way... the dealer should know if it has been flashed and would be retarded to assume it wasnt!!! ...they normally hook them up and read the computers during servicing...likely they didnt wanna chance flashing that car cuz it would not run right on a stock 08 tune!!! and once they flashed it they would have lost the custom tune it had been traded in with..... they prob knew that and left it alone....

Last edited by 06SatinSilver; 4/19/11 at 06:07 PM.
Old 4/20/11, 01:06 PM

thanx guys for the info i should have the car today....so i will let you all know if it is properlly set up
Old 4/20/11, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

So what else do you need to know as I saw you just posted the exact same thread on S197forums??
Old 4/20/11, 07:17 PM

Just to see some different opinons I mean there r alot more ppl on that forum seems like