GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT CAI and Bama Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/07, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLT CAI and Bama Tunes

Go the CAI last week and got the Xcal with the 87p, 93t and 93r tunes from Bama. Some thoughts:

CAI: Wouldn't buy another JLT. Don't like the heat shield, don't like the way it went together, don't like the way it looks. Certainly wouldn't spend the money on having it painted to match. It's my fault, should've done more research but I am dissapointed.

Tunes: Been running 93 the last 3-4 tanks so I tried both of the 93 tunes today. I was underwhelmed. Did they both seem to give some performance increase? Yes. Was it all that I expected, based mostly on what I've been reading on message boards? Not even close. The way some people talk I should've hit the gas and immediately had a stubborn laundry stain to worry about. It simply wasn't all that. Again, dissapointed.

Dave
Old 5/11/07, 09:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You seem like you're a hard person to please... at least compared to the others here.
Old 5/11/07, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm happy with mine. I liked the looks of the AirRaid, C&L, or AFE intake better, but they cost more without really offering more. I don't open the hood that often anyway, so the JLT does just fine. I'm just running the 87 tune for now, and I think it made a huge difference. I'll try the 91 tune later if gas prices don't go too high, and probably put it back to stock for the winter as it is my daily driver. The glowing reports here probably just elevated your expectations a bit too much. Drive it awhile, then put it back to stock. Then decide if you don't think it was worth it. Maybe there was some issue which prevented Doug from providing you with the best tune for your car? Accidents do happen. Talk to him.
Old 5/12/07, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I am somewhat surprised in your take on this combo. However since I do not have a CAI and tune nor have I driven in a Stang with these mods, I would not know either way at this point. I still plan on purchasing the C&L with Bamachips combo sometime in the near future. I have only heard good things about these combos from members here on the boards. I have looked at the JLT CAI and would have to admit I do not like the looks of it but thats just my opinion. From what I have heard/read the JLT is a great performing CAI. There is a possibility that with all the hype on the boards about this combo, you were expecting quite a bit more performance from the combo. I'm sure if you dyno the car before and after the mod the numbers will show you the gains.

Just my un-biased opinion
Old 5/12/07, 06:01 PM
V6 Member

I just installed my JLT II and Bama Tune last night .... and I am absolutely THRILLED!!! What a difference! The install was easy, ... looks great and the service from Doug was also TOP NOTCH!!

my experience, ... & my 2 cents.
Allen
Old 5/12/07, 06:14 PM
Cobra Member

Do you have a manual or auto gearbox? (not really clear from the "5 speed" mention, they both are)
I have an auto and I've purchased the same CAI+tune combo from BamaChips and the difference is like night and day. But I do agree with you on the heat shield, it's cheap. Give CR from Tillman Speed here a PM, he has a great replacement shield for the JLTII.
Old 5/12/07, 06:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dave,

Did you expect the tune/cai to react like nitrous or a supercharger?

You getter better throttle response, better gas mileage, more hp/tq across the rpm range, and a deeper exhaust note. For the money it is probably the best performance deal out there.

Go test drive a new Mustang off the lot, and it will feel sluggish compared to yours.
Old 5/13/07, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Every_Mn
You seem like you're a hard person to please... at least compared to the others here.
Maybe. Just giving my honest opinion and impressions.

Did you expect the tune/cai to react like nitrous or a supercharger?
No, I don't think so. What I kind of expected was to hit the gas in any gear and say "Wow! that's a really noticeable difference." It just wasn't there. Maybe it's because I have a 5 speed and don't see as much change as the auto's, maybe I was just expecting more than was reasonable. I don't know.
Old 5/13/07, 07:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have a manual also, and could feel loads of difference in before and after. Especially, I could tell in my times at the track.
Old 5/13/07, 08:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ElSupremo

Tunes: Been running 93 the last 3-4 tanks so I tried both of the 93 tunes today. I was underwhelmed. Did they both seem to give some performance increase? Yes.

Dave
Wait a second...
Were you comparing the 87 tune with 93 octane to the 93 with 93?
The only real difference should be a slight timing advance, which you might not feel a lot.
If you are comparing stock intake, no tune, 87 to a CAI with a 93 tune and 93 you should feel a difference in the total way the car moves.
Old 5/13/07, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've got Brenspeeds 93 tune +JLT2 on mine & it was quite a noticable difference to me from stock. Much more responsive throttle, more power. Quality was well also IMO.
I initally tried the 89 tune & even felt a difference from it to the 93, slight, but was there in the lower end especially.
Old 5/13/07, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only way to tell is a before and after dyno, like I am planing. I already did the before dyno. I will order what you have soon, then dyno the after. We could ge together and drive each others cars to see the difference. I live up in Lexington.
Old 5/14/07, 05:52 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, stock GT vs 87 tune is probably about 10hp difference (e.g. 265 to 275 rwhp), and then you add a CAI that has been tuned and you should see about 15 more hp, or 25 total (e.g. 290 rwhp).
Old 5/14/07, 06:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have a 5 speed and I experiened a big difference, especially with the 93 race. Not sure what you had expected... Afterall, it's only about 25 hp gain. I'm certain that most everyone on this forum who has the JLT w/SCT has made that pretty clear. More importantly... the tune practically eliminated the throttle lag. It's not like you installed a 5k SC. Remember, it's a CAI and tune, nothing more. IMO, the best performance mod for the buck . I must say that you are definitely a minority on the negative evaluation.
Old 5/14/07, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

do you have any pictures of why you dont like the jlt?? I feel it gives the engine some nice dressup. (i'm planning on getting it)
Old 5/14/07, 06:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by nonstopred
do you have any pictures of why you dont like the jlt?? I feel it gives the engine some nice dressup. (i'm planning on getting it)
It looks good to me...
Attached Thumbnails JLT CAI and Bama Tunes-jlt-12-20-06.jpg   JLT CAI and Bama Tunes-jlt-side-12-20-06.jpg   JLT CAI and Bama Tunes-jltii-12-20-06.jpg  
Old 5/15/07, 01:04 AM
FR500 Member

whatever...then get a freakin supercharger my god...maybe u should have done some more research then hmm????
Old 5/15/07, 01:27 AM
Bullitt Member

plan on placing my order anyday now. I've heard too many good things about this intake/tune combo. Almost 400mi on the OD too
Old 5/15/07, 09:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cmplxlgc
plan on placing my order anyday now. I've heard too many good things about this intake/tune combo. Almost 400mi on the OD too
I am confident that you'll be totally satisfied .
Old 5/15/07, 11:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
whatever...then get a freakin supercharger my god...maybe u should have done some more research then hmm????

yea seriously, if your "dissapointed" in the feeling of the car and if you were expecting a feeling of a supercharger/nitrous, then you should of gotten a s/c or nitrous then. dont like the look of it? well maybe u should of did your research before you bought the **** thing, what were you looking for, some silver pipping, along with an intercooler and a blower in between the pipes?? for you to not feel a difference in throttle response and performance especially in a 5 spd manual with bamachips tune and a CAI, then I dont even know what to say to you bro, cause if everyone else feels a hell of a difference and they drive the hell out of the new tune they got, then you need your senses checked again, i'm not even happy to read this first post of a NON happy bamachips customer.......shame

Quick Reply: JLT CAI and Bama Tunes