GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT & Auto Tune

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/05, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in getting a CAI, and have been looking at the JLT with the auto tune. I have been following this forum for 4 months and I have a couple of questions. Have the problems with the JLT been fixed to satisfactory levels and are the people running the auto tune happy with it ? How does it compare to the Alternative Auto tune ? I also just ordered the Jet TB spacer. I am looking to improve overall performance and throttle responce.
Old 7/30/05, 10:44 AM
Cobra R Member

I have the JLT and am happy with it. Jay seems to have worked out the problems and the price is right.
My tuner is a Predator.
Old 7/30/05, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Robert, yes Jay made up aluminum inserts to absolutely solve the tube warping problem potential and sent them out to all '05 CAI customers at his expense. he offered to do the insert install if customers wanted him to install it and sent their tubes in to him. for about a month now, all '05 JLT CAIs have been coming with the insert.

Jay is a terrific guy. His CAIs are the best from what I can discern having read many CAI threads myself since January, 05. Jay is super responsive to everyone. he really gets off on helping the mustang community with his product and customer service.

my manual tranny JLT CAI w/ SCT XC2 is due to arrive today or monday. i can't wait. it took me so long just to make up my mind. i'm nearly excited about it as when i got my car.

i think for auto transmissions, the main diff. is you can adjust at what rpm to shift at and the power stays at full throttle when shifting instead of dropping off due to the ability to circumvent the torque management. i think SixtySix shifts nearly a thousand RPM higher than stock w/ his Auto.

btw, JLT was nearly always in the cards for me. my choice revolved around which hand held tuner to get. at first i was set on the predator, but reading blower threads, it became evident that SCT had a better grasp on things. not to knock diablo, but SCT seems to have a much better tune. guys w/ blowers made comments like on bottom end, the car felt sluggish as a stock motor. I believe a JDM write up made such a reference.

info like this modular mustang article convinced me SCT was the only way to go. btw, Jay lists the XC 1 on his site. i got the XC version 2 from him for $25 more. oh yeah, here's the article link:

http://www.modulardepot.com/?show=articlesdet&aid=55

ATI Procharger comes w/ a Diablo Predator tune/tuner. and here's an excerpt:
There are a few other issues with the supplied ProCharger tune. ProCharger (and the Vortech tunes that I have seen) totally eliminate any spark that is added when the IMRC’s are closed. The way the 2005 Mustang spark system works is that spark is added when the IMRC’s are closed, unlike the older systems where spark is added when they are opened. What does this mean? The customer that had this car, with the ProCharger tune installed, complained that the car felt slower at part pedal around town than when it was stock. This is directly attributed to the lack of spark being added when the IMRC’s are closed. On a stock vehicle, from 1000-3000 RPM and loads from .2 to .4, the stock file adds about 10-20 degrees of spark in this range. The ProCharger file eliminates this entire spark that is being added. Now they do add some spark back in via the borderline knock table, but not all of it. In addition, if the IMRC’s fail, then all of this spark will still be added, even though it shouldn’t be. Our SCT tune uses the spark adders for IMRC and variable cam timing that the other guys shut off. This gives better part throttle response and more fuel economy.

The ProCharger tune does not renormalize the spark tables to loads greater .9, or stock values. This means that if you change the pulley, the spark will not change, even though the load value will increase. There is really no reason to not do this today. This is a fundamental change that must be changed, and not changing this only shows a lack of understanding of the control system.

In addition, there are several other tables/functions/scalars that are changed that really don’t need to be changed, and again shows a lack of understanding of the control system. The octane adjust table, used by a dealership to retard a few degrees of timing if a customer is complaining (and only accessible via a FORD scan tool like a WDS or NGS+) is zeroed out. Why? This makes no sense to zero this table out. They reduce the time to shut the fuel off, when coasting at closed pedal, to a half second from 4 or 20 seconds (which timer is used depends on what conditions are being met). It also makes no sense to shorten these timers. They change the fuel injector breakpoint that switches from the high slope to the low slope to zero. This mean the low injector slope will never be used under any conditions.

JLT is the way to go, Robert. my throttle response is sluggish on the bottom end to say the least. and it is anemic somewhat. the JLT CAI should really liven things up to my satisfaction. JLT users say the increased throttle response is very noticeable.
Old 7/30/05, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

JLT CAI........with the custom 93 Octane tune from Dyno Tune Performance
is the way to go.
What a difference. A complete change for the better.
You will not be disapointed.
Old 7/30/05, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

straight from JLT's site:
http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/products.php...%20GT&year=2005

"JLT has joined forces with local SCT tuners Dyno Tuned Performance, www.DTPracing.com , to come up with the best looking and performing CAI on the market for the 05 GT."

And Automatic cars also get a shift improvement tune.
Old 7/30/05, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info guys, It looks like I will be giving Jay a call soon. But is there anybody out there that is running the auto tune and can give a first hand review of the changes in throttle responce and shift firmness? Thanks again
Old 7/30/05, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

i'll try and track down what Tony (SixtySix) wrote in one of his posts for you, Robert.
Old 7/30/05, 03:58 PM
Bullitt Member

for your peace of mind, Robert:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...994&hl=sixtysix
Old 7/30/05, 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

here's a long thread on throttle lag and toque mgmt. on Automatics:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...l=sixtysix&st=0
Old 7/30/05, 04:46 PM

This is got to be the best forum site on the net. Thanks again for your time and info, I will be putting in an order next week
Old 7/31/05, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

check this out, Robert! Spanking:

"Now, one of the best parts is that SCT is now providing (for auto trannys) the best shifting I have seen since the manual valve bodies. It shift so freaking hard from 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 - if put you back in the seat and barks the tires, Hard!"

bryan has an ATI blower w/ a SCT Tune. he is so friggin lucky! he said at half throttle, she pulls like full throttle sans blower. here's the link.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=30504
Old 8/4/05, 08:44 PM

Will circumventing the torque management decrease the life of my tranny? Chirping the tires all the way through fourth gear would be great!