GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JBA VS. Hooker LT'S

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/07, 11:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBA VS. Hooker LT'S

I have looked at numerous headers and I have decided on the JBA or Hooker LT'S. So I was wondering, what would have a deeper tone with Flowmasters and a catted h-pipe?(I would modify the stock H-pipe and keep the cats for the hooker headers, and for the JBA'S I would buy a catted JBA LT header specific H-pipe.
Old 2/18/07, 01:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangfan123
I have looked at numerous headers and I have decided on the JBA or Hooker LT'S. So I was wondering, what would have a deeper tone with Flowmasters and a catted h-pipe?(I would modify the stock H-pipe and keep the cats for the hooker headers, and for the JBA'S I would buy a catted JBA LT header specific H-pipe.
I'm curious. How can you keep modify the stock H-pipe and keep the cats with Hooker longtubes. I don't think that's possible.
Scott
Old 2/18/07, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

I have JBA L/T's and the off road JBA h pipe along with FLOWMASTERS and the sound is no joke..... Sounds ferocious.
Old 2/18/07, 03:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

forget the JBAs and the Hookers. Hookers arent a true LT anyway. they are a mid length Header. Go with the American Racing headers. The fit and finish on the 05+ msutangs is nothing short of spectacular and they are 304 stainless, not 409 liek the JBA's. Talk to nick at American Racing headers and you wont be dissapointed
Old 2/18/07, 06:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 94tbird
forget the JBAs and the Hookers. Hookers arent a true LT anyway. they are a mid length Header. Go with the American Racing headers. The fit and finish on the 05+ msutangs is nothing short of spectacular and they are 304 stainless, not 409 liek the JBA's. Talk to nick at American Racing headers and you wont be dissapointed

How much are they and would they have a deep sound with Flows and a catted h-pipe?
Old 2/18/07, 07:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

yes. Nick at American Racing says they sound amazing with the flows, better than anything. and he hates the flowmasters. i cant give you a price, call nick or email him. i bought direct from him but im having him install them as well.

http://www.americanracingheaders.com/

Nick is awesome

here are jsut 2 testimonials on them.

Posted by Boid Morphs
Let there be no mistake, I highly recommend their catted system. I recently visited American Racing Headers shop in Long Island to have my X pipe cut and cats welded on. While there I watched them custom fabricate headers and was blown away with the quality and precision involved in the process. One example is the type of high flow cats they choose to use. The cats ARH uses are literally twice as expensive as those used by Dynatech and other manufacturers. Exhaust flowing through their cats travel through a series of 200 holes/inch versus 300 holes/inch for less expensive cats. The larger diameter holes allow much better flow with less restriction. ARH could use the cheaper cats if they wanted to but they insist on using only the best materials in their headers. The performance gains I feel with their 1.75" diameter primary headers and catted X pipe are outstanding and they sound awesome. At 90 mph in top gear my car just wants to take off and keep pulling now where there was little power on hand before. I still have to get my car dynotuned but I can only imagine how much more power will be on hand afterwards.

There are many players in the header market. If you want to go cheap just for the sake of being able to say you have long tube headers then this product is not for you. If you want the best of the best for your car then do yourself a favor and give these guys a shout. Contact info is American Racing headers or give Nick a call at 631-608-1986. Believe me, you'll be happy you did. Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

Posted by Dirty Howie

I was hearing good things about the AR design and figured what the hell, let's give them a try. After talking to Nick at AR, he was confident I would gain 10-12 rwhp & rwt with my combo. He was on the money and then some. A nice surprise for change, buying a product that actually makes the power it's supposed to. I usually change one part at a time and then TnT for results. I can't tell you how many parts I've returned for "non performance".

The Kooks install and removal is a BALLBUSTER to say the least. The AR system makes more power and the install is stupid easy. I'm sure Kook's will be doing a redesign, my only question would be, why not do it the correct way the first time? Anyhow, end result: AR system rocks.

I did not notice any change in the sound. The car sounds awesome: 248-254 112+0 cam, AR headers & cats and 3 in. SpinTech catback.

Also if your looknig for more information do a search on modularfords.com You will find not 1 complaint about them. Even Eric who works at SCT and runs modularfords said it is the best fitting, best quality header hes ever used and not jsut for the S197's.
Old 2/18/07, 08:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

JBA Long Tube Headers - 409 Stainless Steel
Kooks Longtube (in reality they are only a Mid Length header) Headers - 304 Stainless Steel
American Racing Longtube Headers - 304 Stainless Steel

The difference between T-304 "Pro Series" and T-409 “XP Series” is quite simple.
What makes stainless steel "stainless" is the addition of chromium to the alloy. Chromium
creates a film that serves as a buffer against corrosion, even when it is cut or scratched. The
more chromium there is in the alloy the more resistant it is to oxidization or corrosion. The
addition of nickel to the alloy enhances this resistance.

T-409 has a chromium content of between 10.50 – 11.75% and a nickel content of .50%. T-304 has a chromium content of between 18 – 20% and a nickel content of from 8–10%. In fact, there is so much chromium and nickel content in T304, and so little ferrous material, that a magnet will not stick to it.

here are pics of the american racing headers

Old 2/19/07, 12:54 PM
GT Member

I love my ARH LTs the uality and fit is Amazing
Old 2/19/07, 01:28 PM
Former Vendor

The American Racing headers really do fit quite nice. They use a molded collector, and 304 stainless steel as opposed to a 409. We have the best luck with them, and they are a true full length and make the most gains in HP and Torque.

The long tube 1 5/8" stainless headers and O/R X pipe are $1300
The long tube 1 5/8" stainless headers and high flow X pipe are $1450
The long tube 1 3/4" stainless headers and O/R X pipe are $1325
The long tube 1 3/4" stainless headers and high flow X pipe are $1479

After selling these systems, I have a hard time selling other brands. Not that they aren't a quality product. The flanges on the ARH's are nickel plated, and their cat's are EXCEPTIONAL compared to the other companies out there.

They get an A+ in my book. Let me know if you'd like to purchase, I have a high flow catted version in stock! They sound great with American Thunder 40 series!!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
www.TillmanSpeed.com
Old 2/19/07, 01:33 PM
GT Member

ARH are not 409 they are 304 SS
Old 2/19/07, 01:38 PM
Former Vendor

I'm sorry I meant to say they are 304SS as opposed to 409. I will edit that. Good catch! THANKS
Old 2/19/07, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
The American Racing headers really do fit quite nice. They use a molded collector, and 304 stainless steel as opposed to a 409. We have the best luck with them, and they are a true full length and make the most gains in HP and Torque.

The long tube 1 5/8" stainless headers and O/R X pipe are $1300
The long tube 1 5/8" stainless headers and high flow X pipe are $1450
The long tube 1 3/4" stainless headers and O/R X pipe are $1325
The long tube 1 3/4" stainless headers and high flow X pipe are $1479

After selling these systems, I have a hard time selling other brands. Not that they aren't a quality product. The flanges on the ARH's are nickel plated, and their cat's are EXCEPTIONAL compared to the other companies out there.

They get an A+ in my book. Let me know if you'd like to purchase, I have a high flow catted version in stock! They sound great with American Thunder 40 series!!

CR
Tillman Speed
610-497-5776
www.TillmanSpeed.com
I thought that x-pipes sounded raspy with Flowmaster A/T's. Tillmanspeed,if you can, I would like to hear an idle,drive by,and rev sound clip of Flows with the 1 5/8" ARH's and catted x-pipe.
Old 2/19/07, 02:36 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mustangfan123
I thought that x-pipes sounded raspy with Flowmaster A/T's. Tillmanspeed,if you can, I would like to hear an idle,drive by,and rev sound clip of Flows with the ARH's and x-pipe.
With the cat's, the Flowmaster's aren't too raspy at all. We haven't tried an O/R ARH with the Flowmasters, only with Stingers which were nasty sounding!!

If I can get the guy back here, I'll get some sound clips. I know he doesn't drive it during winter, but maybe when the rest of the slush and salt clears off the road we'll be good to go. They say it's going to be 60 this weekend. That would be

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/19/07, 05:24 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
With the cat's, the Flowmaster's aren't too raspy at all. We haven't tried an O/R ARH with the Flowmasters, only with Stingers which were nasty sounding!!

If I can get the guy back here, I'll get some sound clips. I know he doesn't drive it during winter, but maybe when the rest of the slush and salt clears off the road we'll be good to go. They say it's going to be 60 this weekend. That would be

CR
Tillman Speed
Thanks for giving it thought. I hope the weather is nice this weekend too.
Old 2/19/07, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

so is a H pipe not available with this setup?
Old 2/19/07, 08:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
so is a H pipe not available with this setup?

I guess not. Some one could go to all the trouble and make a h-pipe that will fit the headers though.
Old 2/19/07, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor

No H pipe, just X's for now. However I would like to try cut one of the Pypes H-pipes we have here. The collector end of the headers is just a slip fit to the cats, so it can be replaced with any 2.5" flared pipe.

I'll bet you I could cut the Pypes H to fit, open it up to slip fit the header collector, and sell them as a package....

Hmmmm...
Old 2/19/07, 09:09 PM
Cobra Member

WOW I can't believe that, is that wierd to anybody else?

If you need a test car..... haha

....only thing is I don't think my ford dealership is to freindly with the warranty when it comes to headers....
Old 2/19/07, 09:25 PM
Cobra Member

WOW I can't believe that, is that wierd to anybody else?

If you need a test car..... haha

....only thing is I don't think my ford dealership is to freindly with the warranty when it comes to headers....
Did you think it was weird that I guessed that they dont sell an h-pipe for AR Headers, u would need to modify an h-pipe to fit them, and then Tilmanspeed said the exact same thing as me?
Old 2/19/07, 09:30 PM
Cobra Member

4 words:Malfunction Indicator Light Eliminators

Quick Reply: JBA VS. Hooker LT'S