GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Jacking point question

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/05, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I looked today while I was installing my rear sway bar. From what I see. the Diff cover just doesnt look supportive enough for me to be willing to jack up from that position. My last car has an actual floor jack "pad" built into the rear diff, and was mentioned in the manual too. But this one on the stang just doesnt look too safe, even if its just to lift, then place the jackstands, and lower onto the stands.

Thats just my $0.02. I used some wood, and "lifted" the car an inch by diving on it. They are wide pieces that I use to use for my old car, cause I couldnt get the floor jack under otherwise. The inch was all I needed to be able to install my sway bars. Its what I will do as well for the gt muffler when it arrives next week too
Old 11/6/05, 12:11 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I know in a few cars I've owned the lift point are dimpled out of the pinch weld and the floor jack is way to large to fit in that channel.
I've always jacked all my cars up by the pumpkin and then jackstands go out on the axle ends then I remove the jack. On the front I jack up the car using the front crossmember then put jackstands out on the A-armsor on the hing point on the arms depending on the car.

I have done many many cars like this and never have had any problems doing so. Once in a blue moon if I'm working on a car that has rear leaf springs I'll jack up one side with the jack centerd on the front spring pearch. then toss a jackstang under th axle on that side. But this isn't my favorite way to do it.

Personally I don't like the idea of Jacking one side up then the other as the cars weight shifts on the jackstand that is already in use till you get the other side up..I've had those jackstand make some scarey sounds when the weight shifts till i got the other side up. This is why I ususaly go with the pumkin method.

And yes if I'm doin exhaust I have to put the jackstands on the jacking points but i still use the pumpkin to get the car in the air initially.
Old 11/8/05, 04:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by burningman@November 6, 2005, 2:14 AM
I know in a few cars I've owned the lift point are dimpled out of the pinch weld and the floor jack is way to large to fit in that channel.
I've always jacked all my cars up by the pumpkin and then jackstands go out on the axle ends then I remove the jack. On the front I jack up the car using the front crossmember then put jackstands out on the A-armsor on the hing point on the arms depending on the car.

I have done many many cars like this and never have had any problems doing so. Once in a blue moon if I'm working on a car that has rear leaf springs I'll jack up one side with the jack centerd on the front spring pearch. then toss a jackstang under th axle on that side. But this isn't my favorite way to do it.

Personally I don't like the idea of Jacking one side up then the other as the cars weight shifts on the jackstand that is already in use till you get the other side up..I've had those jackstand make some scarey sounds when the weight shifts till i got the other side up. This is why I ususaly go with the pumkin method.

And yes if I'm doin exhaust I have to put the jackstands on the jacking points but i still use the pumpkin to get the car in the air initially.

dont you love how they like to dance sometimes.......i alway use jack stands.........and wheel ***** as well when i can...
Old 11/10/05, 03:51 AM
Cobra Member

I'll post again.

I've jacked my rear end housing plenty of times with no issues with the cover at all and set jack stands just ahead of the LCA framerail mounts. I also jack the front using the middle of the K-Member just below the engine and ahead of the oil pan.

There isnt any other decent middle jack point in the rear so whatever...

-Dan
Old 11/21/05, 07:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Cleveland@November 10, 2005, 5:54 AM
I'll post again.

I've jacked my rear end housing plenty of times with no issues with the cover at all and set jack stands just ahead of the LCA framerail mounts. I also jack the front using the middle of the K-Member just below the engine and ahead of the oil pan.

There isnt any other decent middle jack point in the rear so whatever...

-Dan
Agreed on all points - as long as the plate of the jack doesn't come in contact with the differential cover (which would break the seal as mentioned on here above), you're OK. Just get the jack stands in the right spot, and use the floor jack as a back up by keeping enough pressure on it so that it doesn't move, but not so much that it's rasing the car even a millimeter off the jack stands