GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I've joined the dead battery gang

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/08, 02:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My battery is over two years old and I only get to drive the car on weekends - sometimes it doesn't move for two weeks - because of the traffic density in the NOVA area. So far I haven't had any problems with the car starting even though I have UDP's which slow the charging process. If I get three years out it I will be happy. On the plus side I ordered the car in August (06) and took delivery in September so the vehicle didn't sit around much before it was on the road. I know that I will hear the slow turning sound in the next six months but so far so good.
Old 1/2/08, 07:55 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,790 Posts
Once again ! The batteries are not the problem. It's the microprocessors/computer modules, that are responsible for draining them.

According to the latest TSB. a fully charged battery can last up to 30 days or longer. However if the vehicle has only been driven for short distances, running only at idle while in storage, and or sitting for more than 7-10 day periods. This will not be enough to maintain a fully charged battery, thus shortening battery life.

In addition. the alternator requires at least 1500 RPM's or more, and up to 2 hours of driving. in order to fully restore a deeply discharged battery.

That being said. the only solution for those who neither run their vehicles very often, due from lack of use, and aren't driven long enough. Are recommended to run battery tender/trickle chargers, in order to maintain fully charged batteries !
Old 1/2/08, 08:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine is a daily driver, it shot craps about a month ago on the way back from Wisconsin.
Old 1/4/08, 11:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
First, open the hood, then open an adult beverage.
I can see it now...

"Mustang owner found dead in driveway after consuming terminal cleaner. Police are still investigating presence of beer on car's battery..."
Old 1/5/08, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Arrow
I can see it now...

"Mustang owner found dead in driveway after consuming terminal cleaner. Police are still investigating presence of beer on car's battery..."
Nah,never happen... Beer and baking soda have decidedly different tastes...