GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Its about time!

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/06, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I FINALLY bit the bullet and picked up a JLT2 and Bamachips tune for my baby.

Someone from another thread asked me to do a full, detailed writeup. But I can't! It's just TOO simple to install the CAI and the tune! If you can check your oil, you can upgrade the CAI on this car. You are looking at two screws for the MAF element, one bolt that holds the stock box in, one clamp around the throttle body and remove the PVC tube from the valve cover. The ONLY trick is the PVC tube! It has a clamp at each end the holds it on. Find the little green "lever" and release it from its hold down notch and the tube will pull right off. Give it a good look and you will understand.

THE CAI goes in just as easy. The only thing to keep in mind is you may want to apply a bit of soap and water to the inside of the rubber boot before you assemble the JLT. This will make it much easy to slip the tubes together. Wipe it dry when it's together... Bolt the heat shield in place using the bolt you removed for the stock air box and slip it all together. Don't forget the MAF element! Other than that, it is cake! It literally took me more time to round up my tools and get a light positioned so I could see than it did to swap the CAI out.

Oh, and don't forget to install the supplied tune!

So here is my observations to be added to the list:

1) Throttle resonse is MUCH better.
2) I had a flat spot around 2400-3000 rpm with the SCT tune. TOTALLY GONE! Yeah!
3) It pulls much harder from 3600 to redline than it ever did stock or with SCT tune
4) The throttle lag when you let off the gas (shifting) is much improved (still there some, but 90% better)
5) The sound of the air flowing through the intake is music to my ears! Lord, I love that sound!
6) No noticable difference in sound levels while crusing down the highway. You have to get above 1/2 throttle or so before the intake starts to sing. Perfect!

In summary, even if I didn't get any extra power, I would say the $210 (torch red + tune as I already had XCal2) would be MORE than worth it just for the improved throttle response, decreased throttle lag, and the sound.

Probably the ONLY concern I have is the small filtration performance of the cone filter. I've never been too impressed with the filtration performance of the oiled cotton type of filters. But, I'm willing to live with it. But I would REALLY like to see a standard filter test run on this filter and compared to stock....
Old 2/11/06, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRRoamer @ February 11, 2006, 9:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Well, I FINALLY bit the bullet and picked up a JLT2 and Bamachips tune for my baby.

Someone from another thread asked me to do a full, detailed writeup. But I can't! It's just TOO simple to install the CAI and the tune! If you can check your oil, you can upgrade the CAI on this car. You are looking at two screws for the MAF element, one bolt that holds the stock box in, one clamp around the throttle body and remove the PVC tube from the valve cover. The ONLY trick is the PVC tube! It has a clamp at each end the holds it on. Find the little green "lever" and release it from its hold down notch and the tube will pull right off. Give it a good look and you will understand.

THE CAI goes in just as easy. The only thing to keep in mind is you may want to apply a bit of soap and water to the inside of the rubber boot before you assemble the JLT. This will make it much easy to slip the tubes together. Wipe it dry when it's together... Bolt the heat shield in place using the bolt you removed for the stock air box and slip it all together. Don't forget the MAF element! Other than that, it is cake! It literally took me more time to round up my tools and get a light positioned so I could see than it did to swap the CAI out.

So here is my observations to be added to the list:

1) Throttle resonse is MUCH better.
2) I had a flat spot around 2400-3000 rpm with the SCT tune. TOTALLY GONE! Yeah!
3) It pulls much harder from 3600 to redline than it ever did stock or with SCT tune
4) The throttle lag when you let off the gas (shifting) is much improved (still there some, but 90% better)
5) The sound of the air flowing through the intake is music to my ears! Lord, I love that sound!
6) No noticable difference in sound levels while crusing down the highway. You have to get above 1/2 throttle or so before the intake starts to sing. Perfect!

In summary, even if I didn't get any extra power, I would say the $210 (torch red + tune as I already had XCal2) would be MORE than worth it just for the improved throttle response, decreased throttle lag, and the sound.

Probably the ONLY concern I have is the small filtration performance of the cone filter. I've never been too impressed with the filtration performance of the oiled cotton type of filters. But, I'm willing to live with it. But I would REALLY like to see a standard filter test run on this filter and compared to stock....
[/b][/quote]

Nice write up! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

How long did it take to get the JLT 2 painted a custom color?
Old 2/11/06, 09:20 AM
RPM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRRoamer @ February 11, 2006, 9:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I have this filter coming in a couple days.

It's the AEM Dry filter and is supposed to have a 99% filtering efficiency.
Old 2/11/06, 12:04 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RPM @ February 11, 2006, 11:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Ron,

Is this being hooked up to a JLT2? Which CAI? Thanks
Old 2/11/06, 01:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great man, glad your happy.

We have all colors in stock at all times, there is no wait on custom colors.
Thanks
Jay
Old 2/11/06, 03:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRRoamer @ February 11, 2006, 10:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Hey, congrats on the CAI setup, I'm itching to get mine! Did you have to disconnect the battery to install the tune?

-Darth
Old 2/11/06, 04:35 PM
Cobra Member

It was 6 days from placing order to package showing up at driveway. Doug had to order the colored version from Jay, so that added a few days. I knew about it in advance, so no worries.

Darth,

No, I didn't disconnect the battery. The only think I did was return the tune to stock before I uploaded the new tunes to my XCal2 via the computer. I don't think that is actually necessary, but I want to make SURE I had the stock tune in place in case something went wrong with the program upload to the XCal2. It didn't.

So, it was just a case of connect XCal2, select tun to load, turn on car, select options and go. One minute later, all was well and I had a very large, very stupid grin on my face as I tapped the throttle (in neutral) and listened to that very nice song from the intake.
Old 2/11/06, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RPM @ February 11, 2006, 11:23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Where did you order it from, how much and is it east to install on the JLT II set up?
Old 2/12/06, 02:21 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tucker @ February 11, 2006, 2:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Great man, glad your happy.

We have all colors in stock at all times, there is no wait on custom colors.
Thanks
Jay
[/b][/quote]

Now thats what I'm talking about!

I'll be ordering a black or tungsten grey throug doug in the next few days [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Any thoughts on a color scheme for under the hood of a black car?
Old 2/12/06, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(latebreak @ February 12, 2006, 3:24 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Any thoughts on a color scheme for under the hood of a black car?
[/b][/quote]

I thought you already had the flat black scheme going from the factory??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know about black, but my future plans for under the hood of my torch red include polishing the valve covers (and clear coating. Magnesium oxides WAY to fast otherwise!) and painting the intake manifold a nice metalic silver. I have seen someone car with that setup and it looked very nice. Other than that, I'm kind of scratching my head too.
Old 2/12/06, 07:38 PM
RPM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJC302 @ February 11, 2006, 1:07 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ron,

Is this being hooked up to a JLT2? Which CAI? Thanks
[/b][/quote]

It's going on a C&L

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Patience @ February 11, 2006, 5:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Where did you order it from, how much and is it east to install on the JLT II set up?
[/b][/quote]

AutoAnything for $46.31 shipped. I can't see how installing this filter would be any different than a K&N or K&N clone type. Same dimensions.
Old 2/13/06, 06:55 PM
Cobra Member

Ron,

Keep us updated with the filter. I would really rather have a different filter on my beast. I tend to keep cars WAY longer than normal (more of the rebuild and keep going type than buy a new car when I'm tired of the old one...), so I really do car about long term wear.