GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Issues with your Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/05, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B4 anyone flames me I really like this Mustang!! ....but am having some issues and was wondering if any of the rest of you are having the same or similar issues:

1) Front end "klunk" noises - pretty much all the time now on both sides (upper strut bearing mounts are the likely cause)

2) Occaisional "klunk" from the rear suspension??

3) Heater control - when you have it in heat mode on the floor setting - hardley any flow to your feet and it comes out the middle defrost vent. Works OK in the floor/def mode.

4) Parking brake handle makes an annoying "rustling" noise that at 1st I thought was coming from behind the center stack area.

5) Filling the fuel tank is a PIA - keeps shutting off and if you go slow - be careful - cause the pump didn't shut off and I had gas running everywhere - down the side of the car - all over my shoes, etc (grrrr)
Old 1/17/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got the same issue with the heater/defrost settings - too much air coming out the dash and not enough on your feet.

And I think I might have heard a 'klunking' noise from the rearend, got to see if it happens anymore.
Old 1/17/05, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05RedGT@January 17, 2005, 3:10 PM
I've got the same issue with the heater/defrost settings - too much air coming out the dash and not enough on your feet.

And I think I might have heard a 'klunking' noise from the rearend, got to see if it happens anymore.
Brad - I just noticed the heater duct issue this weekend on my 1st long trip in the Stang - are you taking yours in to the dealer - if so please post on what they find - cause I'm a bit reluctant to have them pulling out the dash, etc.
Old 1/17/05, 06:41 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had Number 1.

I had Number 2. I only got the sound (mine was actually more of a metallic clank) when putting the car in gear. I have an automatic. Dealer checked with Ford and replaced the drive shaft. No more noise.

I haven't had Numbers 3 or 4.

I have had Number 5. I've always thought that I should be able to get another gallon in the car. But, after spilling gas once, I decided to accept it. However, the last time I only got it up to 3 quarters of a tank. I should have gotten another 4 gallons in it.

I had one other problem. The serpentine belt was installed wrong on my car. All of the drive pullies were turning in the proper direction. However, there are 4 idler pulleys (I believe) and the belt was installed wrong on one of these pulleys. On the driver's side, there is an idler pulley on the engine. The belt should go on the underside of this pulley. The belt had been routed across the top of the pulley. The result was that the belt was actually rubbing against itself and quickly grinding the belt up. I noticed little black pieces of rubber everywhere at about 120 miles. The dealer fixed the belt and ordered a new one to replace it.
Old 1/19/05, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Brad - I just noticed the heater duct issue this weekend on my 1st long trip in the Stang - are you taking yours in to the dealer - if so please post on what they find - cause I'm a bit reluctant to have them pulling out the dash, etc.
I had it in to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they told me it was normal - did't open up anything. I will ask them about it next time I take the car in and see if they tell me the same thing - I don't think it is normal. I also looked up under the dash and the air outlet above your feet directs the air like sideways instead of down to your feet.
Old 1/19/05, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had dust on my vents and same problem with vents.
Old 1/19/05, 12:20 PM
GT Member

Mine is at the dealer right now for 1&3 I'll let all know if they find anything..
Also for a water leak on the passenger side floor board right up against the kick panal, and a rattling passanger side main air vent
Old 1/19/05, 08:03 PM
GT Member

I've only had problems filling up once. I don't seem to have any airflow issues between heater/defroster. I have noticed a slight rattle from one of the air vents, I think its the chrome ring around it. Also, there seems to be a rattling/squeaking from somewhere in the dash. Anyone else have that? I love the car and so far it has been great, but that rattle has got to go!
Old 1/27/05, 01:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Shannon@January 19, 2005, 9:06 PM
I've only had problems filling up once. I don't seem to have any airflow issues between heater/defroster. I have noticed a slight rattle from one of the air vents, I think its the chrome ring around it. Also, there seems to be a rattling/squeaking from somewhere in the dash. Anyone else have that? I love the car and so far it has been great, but that rattle has got to go!

Shannon next time you hear that rattle - try pulling up a little bit on the parking brake handle - that's what mine turned out to be - until I found it - I was certain it was coming from the center stack/radio area.
Old 1/27/05, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05RedGT@January 19, 2005, 7:46 AM

I had it in to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and they told me it was normal - did't open up anything. I will ask them about it next time I take the car in and see if they tell me the same thing - I don't think it is normal. I also looked up under the dash and the air outlet above your feet directs the air like sideways instead of down to your feet.

Normal....bullhockey!! When the selector is in the feet only mode - that's the only place the air should be directed! I can't even get enough flow through the foot duct to feel anything - yet the center of the defrost is cranking air......don't let your dealer off that easy - this is not normal. Good Luck
Old 1/27/05, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@January 27, 2005, 2:46 PM

Normal....bullhockey!! When the selector is in the feet only mode - that's the only place the air should be directed! I can't even get enough flow through the foot duct to feel anything - yet the center of the defrost is cranking air......don't let your dealer off that easy - this is not normal. Good Luck
I agree its not normal. It hasn't been real cold around here till this past week and it took forever for my feet to get warm! I just haven't had any reason to go back to the dealer - may wait till the first oil change.
Old 1/27/05, 03:34 PM

The air flow is more direct towards the defroster than the floor in my 05. hmmm
Old 2/21/05, 10:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

has anyone figured out how to stop the rattling coming from beneath the parking brake?

I've tried pulling the brake handle up a bit, but it doesn't help. The rattling is worst when I'm in 2nd or 4th... sounds like a couple of parts are rubbing together down there or something.
Old 2/21/05, 10:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by RMac@February 21, 2005, 11:44 AM
has anyone figured out how to stop the rattling coming from beneath the parking brake?

I've tried pulling the brake handle up a bit, but it doesn't help. The rattling is worst when I'm in 2nd or 4th... sounds like a couple of parts are rubbing together down there or something.
From another of my posts:

Dozer - I had the same noise and traced it to the parking brake handle as well (curious - my '00GT did the same thing). Anyway, remove the console top piece (just pull the shifter boot out - no need to remove the shifter ****) and there are two screws in the top rear of the console storage bin you need to remove - then the console top just pops straight out.

Remove (while fitting the shifter boot through the console top). Now you have access to the area where you can see the parking brake rests against a metal stop. I took an 1 1/2" piece of Pep Boys door edge trim and fit it onto the metal bracket that the parking brake rests on when not engaged - no more noise. Also a good time to take some Dynamat Extreme and line the tunnel housing all around the shifter area, etc. to cut down on tranny/road noise. Little noises like this drive me nuts and can usually be traced down and eleminated!! I also removed the parking brake handle housing (plastic piece rear of the rubber handle - top pops off) and added soft foam so the linkage won't vibrate and make noise.
Old 2/21/05, 11:14 AM
Cobra Member

bradley~ I had the issue occasionally with the popping from end.Put the eibach springs on and the sound has gone away..Still having the gas tank issue and I have spilled has on me too...everywhere!..there is a new TSB on the tank issue listed over at stangnet.com I am going to try and take my car in to get this taken care of.Just those two things are about the only issues I am having
Old 2/21/05, 11:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

thanks HOTLAP... i thought i remembered someone posting something about it before, but couldn't find it again when i did a search.
Old 2/21/05, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

spoke with Simi valley ford.They are aware of the TSB and said to come in and they will special order the new tank..they are on a national back order supposedly!
Old 2/21/05, 04:21 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by Shannon@January 19, 2005, 8:06 PM

That rattle is slowly driving me insane. :bang: :bang: :bang:
Old 2/21/05, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by subzero05@February 21, 2005, 1:03 PM
spoke with Simi valley ford.They are aware of the TSB and said to come in and they will special order the new tank..they are on a national back order supposedly!
Chris - that's good to know - sounds as if Simi Valley Ford is a good dealership to work with? I can't stand the Ford dealer service dept in my area - always trying to rip you!! Off topic I realize - but can you tell me where a good tuner/dyno shop is in our area? I'm ordering the JLT/SCT, Magnaflow "X" pipe with high flow cats, Steeda UD Pullies and would like to find a reputable shop in our area. thx
Old 2/22/05, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

[quote=HOTLAP,January 17, 2005, 3:57 PM]
B4 anyone flames me I really like this Mustang!! ....but am having some issues and was wondering if any of the rest of you are having the same or similar issues:

1) Front end "klunk" noises - pretty much all the time now on both sides (upper strut bearing mounts are the likely cause)

I occasionally get this. I mostly happens when I reverse out of a parking space and stop. If anyone finds out exactly what this is, let me know. I hate going to the service department trying to imitate a mystery sound that I can't pin-point. It always never happens when you have one of their guys in the car trying to find it. A funny thing though, I had a similar noise on my 96'. They claimed to have found a small paint can top tied in the engine compartment. Go figure. (The noise did not go away.)

Quick Reply: Issues with your Mustang?