GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installed BMR LCAs/Wheel Hop

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/06, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slofoot
Install the UCA.
Thank you. Will try that out and see how it goes. Might be a couple of weeks.
Old 6/5/06, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttbit
Good to know. Steeda says they have a "patent pending" bushing in their LCAs that reduce NVH. Did you notice a difference in noise in either install? I admit, I can be sensitive to these things, but my friend in the passenger seat noticed the noise immediately also. If someone says, this is how it is, I can live with it. I never thought my TKO was noisy in my '95 (except 5th gear), but one guy who test drove it thought it was really loud. Everyone has different ears. I was very happy with all the Steeda parts I had in my '95.
I didn't notice additional NVH with either aftermarket LCA. It would have to be an obvious clunk, though, for me to notice. This car has so much more NVH than my winter beater it's hard, sometimes, to tell if I've created more.
Old 6/12/06, 08:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Installed Steeda UCA

A little update.

I installed the Steeda adjustable UCA Saturday. I left the BMR LCAs off to test. After getting the pinion angle adjusted and everything tight I took it for some tests. The wheel hop has been drastically reduced. Under moderate launch, there is still a little, but a harder launch leaves nothing but marks on the road. Finally I was able to do a fun launch and leave some marks on my test road without the fear of leaving broken parts behind!! I may go ahead and take it to a track now.

I'll drive it this way for some time and then try adding the BMR lowers again for more testing in the near future.

No new strange noises with this install!! It was much more of a PITA than installing the LCAs. No 30 minute job here! Worth it though!
Old 6/12/06, 10:09 PM

Glad to hear it! Makes me feel good that I'm not spewing nonsense.... At least not this time anyway!
Old 6/12/06, 11:22 PM
GT Member

What was the most difficult part about the install. I have BMR's non adjustable Upper and want to install it but after problems with the axle shifting while installing a panhard rod and especially the LCA's I am not so sure I want to try it. Is it difficult to position the axel so the bolt holes line up on the control arm?
Old 6/13/06, 05:02 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
A little update.

I installed the Steeda adjustable UCA Saturday. I left the BMR LCAs off to test. After getting the pinion angle adjusted and everything tight I took it for some tests. The wheel hop has been drastically reduced. Under moderate launch, there is still a little, but a harder launch leaves nothing but marks on the road. Finally I was able to do a fun launch and leave some marks on my test road without the fear of leaving broken parts behind!! I may go ahead and take it to a track now.

I'll drive it this way for some time and then try adding the BMR lowers again for more testing in the near future.

No new strange noises with this install!! It was much more of a PITA than installing the LCAs. No 30 minute job here! Worth it though!

Thanks for the info..........got installation tips/pointers?? How do you adjust the pinion angle properly?
Old 6/13/06, 06:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Do a search for that, I remember someone posted how to bit. I did not save it. If you find it and the link is the pre update thing, pm the poster for more info.

Mine is fine after the lowering brackets, so no UCA for now.
Old 6/13/06, 06:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I thought I'd ask ttbit since he just did it........

Here's a search result: http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...t=pinion+angle on how to adjust pinion angle.

Tom
Old 6/13/06, 09:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey all,

The rear seat comes out without sockets for one thing. Just two places on the bottom of the seat where you push and lift. You need to do this to get to the front most bolt of the UCA bracket which you remove from inside the car.

On the removal of the old UCA, you will find the UCA bracket will not come out without lowering the gas tank. You don't necessarily have to remove the bracket though. Most people pull down on the the bracket after removing the 18mm headed bolts and can get that front bolt pulled out. I decided to take the extra 10 minutes to lower and raise the tank so I could get the bracket out. I wanted to make sure I had that front bolt/nut on tight, do some measurements, and have it lubed properly, so it was worth the time for me. Plus I was tired of laying on my back trying to get that thing torqued off.

Upon re-install, I found that getting the holes lined up for the upper was easier than on the LCAs. I used the jack to raise and lower the rear while moving the UCA into position (rear bolt and nut) to get the right alignment for the holes. NO problem with that. On the LCAs I had to put a little weight into the rear to get the holes lines up just right.

You'll need an 18 mm and 13/16"(21 mm ?) socket. If you want to lower the tank, you'll need a Torx 50 bit. I removed the right bolt, and loosened the left to lower the tank just enough to get the bracket out. Have a jack under the tank just in case. The bolts aren't that long.

As for pinion angle, I measured the stock length bolt center to bolt center, adjusted the Steeda to the same and then shortened just slightly (about 3 mm) as per Steeda recommendation. I need to go get an angle finder to do an actual reading before I adjust any further.

Hope this helps!

Don
Old 6/13/06, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

good write-up. I'll have to install mine soon. thanks
Old 6/14/06, 04:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey all,

The rear seat comes out without sockets for one thing. Just two places on the bottom of the seat where you push and lift. You need to do this to get to the front most bolt of the UCA bracket which you remove from inside the car.

On the removal of the old UCA, you will find the UCA bracket will not come out without lowering the gas tank. You don't necessarily have to remove the bracket though. Most people pull down on the the bracket after removing the 18mm headed bolts and can get that front bolt pulled out. I decided to take the extra 10 minutes to lower and raise the tank so I could get the bracket out. I wanted to make sure I had that front bolt/nut on tight, do some measurements, and have it lubed properly, so it was worth the time for me. Plus I was tired of laying on my back trying to get that thing torqued off.

Upon re-install, I found that getting the holes lined up for the upper was easier than on the LCAs. I used the jack to raise and lower the rear while moving the UCA into position (rear bolt and nut) to get the right alignment for the holes. NO problem with that. On the LCAs I had to put a little weight into the rear to get the holes lines up just right.

You'll need an 18 mm and 13/16"(21 mm ?) socket. If you want to lower the tank, you'll need a Torx 50 bit. I removed the right bolt, and loosened the left to lower the tank just enough to get the bracket out. Have a jack under the tank just in case. The bolts aren't that long.

As for pinion angle, I measured the stock length bolt center to bolt center, adjusted the Steeda to the same and then shortened just slightly (about 3 mm) as per Steeda recommendation. I need to go get an angle finder to do an actual reading before I adjust any further.

Hope this helps!

Don

Thanks!
Old 6/17/06, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

just one note... I had the car up on jackstands and all but it turns out that I'll need at least one more socket... a deep 18mm to get the nut off the rear bolt. And it's **** near impossible to maneuver a torque wrench around under there so some extensions will be handy. Anything else I should be prepared for?
Old 6/17/06, 10:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
just one note... I had the car up on jackstands and all but it turns out that I'll need at least one more socket... a deep 18mm to get the nut off the rear bolt.
I PMd ya. I didn't loosen the bolts from the 18mm side. I did it from the 13/16" side, which is the nut.
Old 6/18/06, 05:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

This is good info, thanks!

My experience with BMR LCA: I still have some wheel hop, though they reduced it about 50%. Also seems to transmit more noise. The also seemed to be about 1/4" too short upon install.

I'll probably get the Steeda LCA's and swap them out.
Old 6/18/06, 05:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Nothing but good things with my BMR parts. Just remember to get back under there in a week or two and re-torque everything. My passenger side LCA started making some noise which I took for NVH, but it kept getting worse. Put her up on a lift and the bolt was loose. Re-tourqued it along with everything else and I'm getting zero NVH. O.K., some H because the ride is stiffer... :-) But I like it....
Old 6/18/06, 06:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hatchman
This is good info, thanks!

My experience with BMR LCA: I still have some wheel hop, though they reduced it about 50%. Also seems to transmit more noise. The also seemed to be about 1/4" too short upon install.

I'll probably get the Steeda LCA's and swap them out.
I installed Steeda LCA's on Thursday night and have had no issues or wheel hop with them since. I'm not knocking the BMR parts, just stating that the Steeda units work very well.

Tom
Old 6/18/06, 06:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I installed Steeda LCA's on Thursday night and have had no issues or wheel hop with them since. I'm not knocking the BMR parts, just stating that the Steeda units work very well.

Tom
Sounds good. I like the BMR parts as well. Like I said, it helped, but the hop is still there. I'll probably get some uppers as well. For now, I'll just check the torque again.
Old 6/18/06, 08:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds good. I like the BMR parts as well. Like I said, it helped, but the hop is still there. I'll probably get some uppers as well. For now, I'll just check the torque again.
I went to the track last Thursday with just the upper installed and the wheel hop got pretty bad on a couple of launches and 2nd shifts. I was out-gripping the F-body guys there though. Our times were about the same (1/8 mile) because their 60' and 330' times were lower. I am really tempted to try those Steeda arms due to their bushing design as I know I need to do something. But I should probably try the BMRs again. I would hate to have to sell them with one week of use on them.
Old 6/18/06, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The also seemed to be about 1/4" too short upon install.
You aren't the first to state this (even in this thread), but are you sure it was 1/4" shorter bolt to bolt? I know they physically are shorter, but the bolt length should be identical.
Old 6/18/06, 11:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The next time you install you BMR's, check the hole distance with the stockers.

I didn't measure mine, but I definitely had to move the axle forward to get the holes to line up. And the axle was on jackstands and the front wheels chocked, so no way could the axle move backwards or the car move forward during the few seconds the stock LCA was off. I can't be sure it was shorter without taking it off and comparing it side by side, but it sure seemed that way at the time.

When I put on the Steeda's one day, I'll take pics and post them up.

Quick Reply: Installed BMR LCAs/Wheel Hop