GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

installation of JBA shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/11, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a picture of my JBA prototype headers. I bought these from a guy who ran some bench flow testing on them and then JBA decided to go with the "bundle of snakes". I didn't notice any difference in performance or sound. Would I install them all over again, YES.
Attached Thumbnails installation of JBA shorty headers-8.jpg   installation of JBA shorty headers-7.jpg  
Old 1/16/11, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Here's a picture of my JBA prototype headers. I bought these from a guy who ran some bench flow testing on them and then JBA decided to go with the "bundle of snakes". I didn't notice any difference in performance or sound. Would I install them all over again, YES.
Those do look quite different from the current JBA headers. Really?? You would do it over again even with no improvement in sound/performance??
Old 1/16/11, 12:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Shigetas
Looking back I would definitely be tempted if I had $450 to do it, I got pretty frustrated at times with the back bolts and having it turn it milimeter by milimeter until my hand cramped then took a break and went back to it.

After breaking it in (it kind of smoked and stuff as it burned off grease or whatever) I noticed that it pulled a little harder on the lower end especially second and seemed that it got up in RPMs faster. I have Magnaflows and so it sounded louder which wasnt bad. In fact as silly as it sounds I drove with my windows open a crack and radio off to enjoy the noise for the first week or so. I think sound wise you wont be too disappointed. I got the JBAs in case I have to pass smog as I am in the military and move a lot, and coming from California where they are draconion, I was not going want to take it off and put something else on to pass later.

You can do it, just dont get frustrated and do take off the starter and move over the steering linkage and you'll be fine. I also had to pull off the exhaust to get some play in it. Also if you have a floor jack I pushed up on the oilpan to lift the engine (unbolt it first of course) to get clearance to fit the header in. I reused the gaskets but new ones are probably best. You may have to re-tighten later after a bit. Best advise I can give is when you start getting discouraged and mad, take a break and estimate twice as long as you think. I say go for it and if you get stuck, take it into the shop. Best case you save $450 and learn something about your car. Worse case you pay $450 and maybe a tow if you took things off.

Scott
Thanks for the encouragement and advice! I may consider trying it myself. The Mustang Monthly link I posted in the original post seems to make it sound like it is not too bad of an install. Maybe people just have not been doing it the most efficient way??

Looking back do you think there is any special kind wrench/socket that you could have used for those back bolts? How did you torque them down when you only hand tighted them?

Is there anything else you would have done differently to make the job easier?

I just got another quote from another experienced shop and he said $400 for the job and he mentioned that the lower suspension K member needs to be removed. Do you see a need for that?
Old 1/16/11, 01:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The reason I said that I would do it all over again is because with the headers by themselves I didn't notice any difference (car has never been dyno'ed) but when you factor in the under drive pulleys, delete plates and cold air kit I think the combination of everything compliment each other and you see a nice increase in performance.

OR - You can quit wasting your money on trying to get more HP out of the 4.6 and just go buy the 412 HP 5.0.

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 1/16/11 at 03:53 PM.
Old 1/17/11, 06:11 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the BBK ceramic shorties and Maggies. Love the sound and response. Yeah, it is not a lot of high-end power but it fattens up the mid-range. Unscientific testing ran 87 tune with the CAI and Maggies and 93 tune. Shorties with the 87 tune felt like the 93 tune. With the 93 tune, definitely stronger on the low- to mid-range. Top end power feels about the same as the 93 tune w/o the pipes; however, you get there a little quicker now.
Old 1/17/11, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DaddyJ
I have the BBK ceramic shorties and Maggies. Love the sound and response. Yeah, it is not a lot of high-end power but it fattens up the mid-range. Unscientific testing ran 87 tune with the CAI and Maggies and 93 tune. Shorties with the 87 tune felt like the 93 tune. With the 93 tune, definitely stronger on the low- to mid-range. Top end power feels about the same as the 93 tune w/o the pipes; however, you get there a little quicker now.
Yet another happy camper with shorty headers! So it sounds like not only do these aftermarket headers look better than those OEM manifolds.....they do in fact improve the exhaust sound and perhaps mildly improve performance.