GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installation of Bassani X-pipe w/o Cats-

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was planning to install the Bassani X-pipe this weekend (keeping the stock cats - I ordered just the X-pipe part). Poking around I see some talk of sawing the stock H-pipe out and welding in the X-pipe. I thought it was a bolt-on. The sawing and welding scares me. Is this actually what needs to be done? If so, I probably have to take it to a pro...

If it does need to be welded, why does it come with 4 brackets? Just doubling up the connection?

Thanks!
Old 6/9/05, 11:46 AM
GT Member

It is not necessary to weld it in. It is made to clamp in place, which is totally fine. Some people might decidee to spend the extra money/time and get it permanently put in, by welding it. Either way works just fine.

-Andy
Old 6/9/05, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by askiles@June 9, 2005, 12:49 PM
It is not necessary to weld it in. It is made to clamp in place, which is totally fine. Some people might decidee to spend the extra money/time and get it permanently put in, by welding it. Either way works just fine.

-Andy
Thanks. So I still have to saw the stock H-pipe out though, huh? Guess I could probably do that. I don't think the X-pipe came with instructions, which is strange.

So for sawing it out, I probably just want to measure where the X-pipe would fit in and then leave an extra inch or so for overlap? Slide it in one end, tighten it down a bit, then slide it over the other, center it, and tighten all four sides down real tight then?
Old 6/9/05, 12:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I would take the whole pipe out from the cats to the axelback. Cut the pipe outside of the car, attatch the cats and remount.
Old 6/9/05, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

NO cutting is needed. Everything bolts up, from front to back.
Old 6/10/05, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there much gain in power by still using the stock cats as opposed to using the high flow cats.
Old 6/10/05, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Kluski@June 10, 2005, 10:08 AM
Is there much gain in power by still using the stock cats as opposed to using the high flow cats.
I won't have the chance to DYNO it with the X-pipe and SLPs alone, as I'm installing both the X-pipe and JLT CAI + tune this weekend - but before installing the CAI I'll take it out for a "seat-of-the-pants" test and let you know what I feel. I have my doubts. Unfortunately, when I ordered it, the talk was that gains from exhaust come from an X-pipe - now the talk is that its the high-flow cats that really make the difference. I may decide to add those later. We'll see.
Old 6/13/05, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by My Blue Heaven@June 9, 2005, 3:55 PM
NO cutting is needed. Everything bolts up, from front to back.
Just for everyone's info - actually, you do have to saw when installing just the X-pipe (and leaving stock cats). The rear axel side bolts, but the front axel side is welded into the cats, so I believe you need to unbolt the cats and drop the whole cat-to-H-pipe piece, then cut the pipes behind the cats, bolt the xpipe on that, put it back up, and bolt the whole thing toward the back. That's a lot of work, and I was running out of time, so unfortunately, I didn't get to it this weekend.
Old 6/15/05, 06:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yep, sawing will be required if it's just the x-pipe and some axle backs...same setup I have.....

John
Old 6/15/05, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was going to leave the stock cats but when Bassani overshipped me I and gave me the cats too I just put them on. In 2 years when I get an emissions test I am going to put the stock cats back on. Hopefully it won't be all welded up just from the heat of driving by then. ^_^
Old 6/15/05, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by swingle007@June 15, 2005, 7:12 AM
Yep, sawing will be required if it's just the x-pipe and some axle backs...same setup I have.....

John
Cool - been looking for someone who kept stock cats and installed X-pipe. Have you seen/felt any gains? Are you getting a better/louder sound? Is it worth going through the pain of installing this X-pipe if I'm going to keep the stock cats? I'm thinking maybe I should just put it on ebay at this point. If I do decide to install it, I may bite the bullet and pay a pro to do it - quicker and probably better than I could do it.
Old 6/15/05, 08:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah, I paid a local speed shop to do the exhaust for me....the sound is much more throaty with the X and I picked up a good amount of torque from it...was a lot easier to break the tires at 40mph then it was before so it passed the seat of the pants power gain with me.....I bought mine way back before the high flows were available so I had no choice, but I love the sound and would think you would as well.....Hope it works out!

John
Old 6/15/05, 08:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by swingle007@June 15, 2005, 9:36 AM
Yeah, I paid a local speed shop to do the exhaust for me....the sound is much more throaty with the X and I picked up a good amount of torque from it...was a lot easier to break the tires at 40mph then it was before so it passed the seat of the pants power gain with me.....I bought mine way back before the high flows were available so I had no choice, but I love the sound and would think you would as well.....Hope it works out!

John
Cool - well, I have an appointment to have 4.10 gears installed on Friday. Hopefully they can do the X-pipe for me, too. Sounds like the combo should really torque me out!