GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Independent Rear Suspension Rant

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/05, 11:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally posted by Dan@January 9, 2005, 12:38 AM
Not happening with the GT IMO.
This part hints that the IRS may be added throughout the entire Mustang line, not just the Cobra IMO.

Though he said he's pleased with the front and rear suspension on the redesigned Mustang, Martens also touted the value of independent rear suspension. The Mustang platform has a solid rear axle but was designed to accommodate an independent rear suspension module. Ford has typically used an independent rear suspension for the high-performance Mustang Cobra SVT.

He didn't rule out an eventual move to independent rear suspension for the Mustang platform.
I think the IRS will show up in the Cobra first and then become standard for the entire platform in the future.
Old 1/8/05, 11:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dan+January 9, 2005, 2:38 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ January 9, 2005, 2:38 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-André@January 9, 2005, 1:46 AM
TomServo92,January 9, 2005, 12:10 AM]OK, I'm going to throw little more fuel on this fire. I found this article on AutoWeek.com:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101561

This is too funny! had to post the article

Ford plans to enhance new Mustang's ride; move to IRS not ruled out

LOS ANGELES -- Ford Motor Co. is planning upgrades to its new Mustang after just a few months on the market.

Ford product development chief Phil Martens wouldn't provide details of the changes. But he said the upgrades would improve ride and decrease noise, vibration and harshness.

"We're very aware of the shelf life of products," Martens said. "We've pulled it ahead."

He wouldn't detail the timing of any changes.

Barb Samardzich, Ford product development executive director overseeing the Mustang program, characterized the upgrades as the kind of continuous improvement that engineering teams tackle once a vehicle launch is out of the way.

Ford began selling the redesigned 2005 Mustang coupe in October. The 2005 Mustang convertible, which debuted at the Los Angeles auto show last week, goes on sale this spring.

Though he said he's pleased with the front and rear suspension on the redesigned Mustang, Martens also touted the value of independent rear suspension. The Mustang platform has a solid rear axle but was designed to accommodate an independent rear suspension module. Ford has typically used an independent rear suspension for the high-performance Mustang Cobra SVT.

He didn't rule out an eventual move to independent rear suspension for the Mustang platform.

Said Martens: "It is undecided."
Not happening with the GT IMO. [/b][/quote]
Who knows...?

It depends on what kind of IRS the cobra will get IMO, if for example it is some sort of control blade IRS which is compact, inexpensive and light, we might see it on all mustangs in a few years, the live axle could be a stop gap measure, like I said who knows...
Old 1/9/05, 03:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've been sitting on this piece of info for awhile and now I think that its time to say it, the current-style set-up for IRS will not work in the new car, and if they do find a way or different style IRS, there will have to be some retooling of the equipment and transportation devices involved in getting it to the car. Period. B)
Old 1/9/05, 05:24 AM

i dont know much about IRS or a solid real axle but i used to have a 99 v6 and the solid rear axle that u guys call durable was starting to rip off the chassis, i noticed this when the rear axle cut the rear brake line causing my brakes to go out and thats how i totalled my mustang.....
:notnice:
Old 1/9/05, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm. Never heard of something like that happening. Must've been a fluke...either that or your car was damaged and you didn't know it until it was too late.
Old 1/9/05, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2MustangJohn@January 9, 2005, 4:03 AM
I've been sitting on this piece of info for awhile and now I think that its time to say it, the current-style set-up for IRS will not work in the new car, and if they do find a way or different style IRS, there will have to be some retooling of the equipment and transportation devices involved in getting it to the car. Period. B)
This isn't about putting the current Cobra's IRS in the new car, but rather designing, building and tooling a new IRS for the new chassis. Though I think TomServo92 has a good point. Start it off in the Cobra. Then maybe an SE a little bit later. Then see reactions and sales and maybe, after a while throughout the line.

But, I don't see that happening until a long time from now. Probably the next redesign at the earliest. Ford doesn't exactly have a track record of making chassis changes with this car.
Old 1/9/05, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2MustangJohn@January 9, 2005, 6:03 AM
Say what ? :scratch:

We know that the Lincoln LS IRS won't fit in the new mustang unless they "delete" the rear seats, also to keep development and production cost down the new cobra IRS will possibly be shared with other cars (jaguar volvo Lincoln), if it is, I predict all Mustangs will get it eventually, even the V6 cars, that was the original plan...
Old 1/9/05, 12:32 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by André+January 9, 2005, 2:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (André @ January 9, 2005, 2:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Dan@January 9, 2005, 2:38 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-André
@January 9, 2005, 1:46 AM
TomServo92,January 9, 2005, 12:10 AM]OK, I'm going to throw little more fuel on this fire. I found this article on AutoWeek.com:

LOS ANGELES -- Ford Motor Co. is planning upgrades to its new Mustang after just a few months on the market.

Ford product development chief Phil Martens wouldn't provide details of the changes. But he said the upgrades would improve ride and decrease noise, vibration and harshness.

"We're very aware of the shelf life of products," Martens said. "We've pulled it ahead."

Barb Samardzich, Ford product development executive director overseeing the Mustang program, characterized the upgrades as the kind of continuous improvement that engineering teams tackle once a vehicle launch is out of the way.

Ford began selling the redesigned 2005 Mustang coupe in October. The 2005 Mustang convertible, which debuted at the Los Angeles auto show last week, goes on sale this spring.

Who knows...?

It depends on what kind of IRS the cobra will get IMO, if for example it is some sort of control blade IRS which is compact, inexpensive and light, we might see it on all mustangs in a few years, the live axle could be a stop gap measure, like I said who knows... [/b][/quote]
Andre, the investment Ford has made in engineering the 3-link plus the cost of retooling/changing over to IRS plus the extra cost/weight? of the IRS itself makes me highly doubt you will see it in the GT/V6 for quite a while if at all.

It may depend what GM serves up in 07/08.
Old 1/9/05, 12:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Dan+January 9, 2005, 1:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ January 9, 2005, 1:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by André@January 9, 2005, 2:54 AM
Originally posted by Dan@January 9, 2005, 2:38 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-André
@January 9, 2005, 1:46 AM

Who knows...?

It depends on what kind of IRS the cobra will get IMO, if for example it is some sort of control blade IRS which is compact, inexpensive and light, we might see it on all mustangs in a few years, the live axle could be a stop gap measure, like I said who knows...
Andre, the investment Ford has made in engineering the 3-link plus the cost of retooling/changing over to IRS plus the extra cost/weight? of the IRS itself makes me highly doubt you will see it in the GT/V6 for quite a while if at all.

It may depend what GM serves up in 07/08. [/b][/quote]
On the other hand, if they invest a lot money developing an IRS for the Cobra, doesn't it make sense to eventually propogate it down the full model line? With the ever-popular economies of scale, it should get cheaper as you build more of them.
Old 1/9/05, 04:47 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Yes, it would get cheaper......the problem is, cheaper than the cost to outfit the cobra with it, not likely cheaper than the 3-link setup.

So, the question becomes, how much would Ford really stand to loose/gain finanically if they use economies of scale which results in a cheaper setup for the Cobra while still being an additional cost to the GT/V6.

Also, as far as it being an option......that would be the best solution from our perspective but I don't think it will happen due to the "economies of scale" arguement.
Old 1/9/05, 05:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Dan@January 9, 2005, 5:50 PM
Yes, it would get cheaper......the problem is, cheaper than the cost to outfit the cobra with it, not likely cheaper than the 3-link setup.

So, the question becomes, how much would Ford really stand to loose/gain finanically if they use economies of scale which results in a cheaper setup for the Cobra while still being an additional cost to the GT/V6.

Also, as far as it being an option......that would be the best solution from our perspective but I don't think it will happen due to the "economies of scale" arguement.
You could be right...then again I could be right. I guess we'll know over the next few years. B)
Old 1/9/05, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by jsaylor@January 8, 2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah, yeah the Z car has IRS.....it also rides like a truck

The Z rides like a sportscar.
Old 1/9/05, 07:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by LotusElise+January 9, 2005, 8:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LotusElise @ January 9, 2005, 8:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jsaylor@January 8, 2005, 10:39 PM

The Z rides like a sportscar. [/b][/quote]
My friends Z rides really harsh. Nissan didn't properly tune the stock shock absorbers to the springs. On the highway, it bounces a lot and is very annoying. The Nismo S-tune suspension he recently installed cured the "bounce".
Old 1/9/05, 07:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Dan@January 9, 2005, 6:50 PM

Using the economies of scale rational, Ford would be stupid not to offer an IRS option for the GT. In theory, manufacturing more IRS suspensions should drop the cost. Ford could sell the Cobra at the same price, with slightly increased profits. Ford would also make some profits on selling the IRS as an option on the GT.
Old 1/9/05, 09:49 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by max2000jp+January 9, 2005, 10:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (max2000jp @ January 9, 2005, 10:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by LotusElise@January 9, 2005, 8:35 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-jsaylor
@January 8, 2005, 10:39 PM

The Z rides like a sportscar.
My friends Z rides really harsh. Nissan didn't properly tune the stock shock absorbers to the springs. On the highway, it bounces a lot and is very annoying. The Nismo S-tune suspension he recently installed cured the "bounce". [/b][/quote]
I've driven the 350Z. You think the 05's ride is rough.......haha....that's nothing compared to the Z. max2000jp is right, its pretty harsh.
Old 1/9/05, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@January 9, 2005, 8:35 PM
My friends Z rides really harsh. Nissan didn't properly tune the stock shock absorbers to the springs. On the highway, it bounces a lot and is very annoying. The Nismo S-tune suspension he recently installed cured the "bounce".
What year is his Z? We got ours 3 months ago and it rides great (as did my 2004 UK model). Loads of feedback, yet solid as a rock on the highway. I believe the 2005 model year was improved in line with the European Z's (which were released late '03 for the 2004 model year, with improved suspension over the original US /Japanese cars).

Who on earth could think the 05 Mustang ride is harsh?! It's like marshmallow!
Old 1/9/05, 11:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by LotusElise+January 10, 2005, 1:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LotusElise @ January 10, 2005, 1:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-max2000jp@January 9, 2005, 8:35 PM
What year is his Z? We got ours 3 months ago and it rides great (as did my 2004 UK model). Loads of feedback, yet solid as a rock on the highway. I believe the 2005 model year was improved in line with the European Z's (which were released late '03 for the 2004 model year, with improved suspension over the original US /Japanese cars).

Who on earth could think the 05 Mustang ride is harsh?! It's like marshmallow! [/b][/quote]
It's a 2003 Touring model with 18" rims. Nissan updated the suspension in US Z's in 2004.5 to the Euro suspension, which is more compliant. I was going to buy one, but Nissan service is horrible, as is the quality in the past few years. I have a 2000 Maxima and it has been nothing but problems.
Old 1/11/05, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

I understand that IRS will on the 07 cobra, but not on the GT. This way, Ford can distinguish between the two cars. It will also mean about a $3,000 price increase if it is offered as an option.

I'll stick with the solid rear axle.
Old 1/11/05, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Montrose@January 11, 2005, 7:34 AM
It will also mean about a $3,000 price increase if it is offered as an option.
How did you come up with that figure???
Old 1/11/05, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by max2000jp@January 10, 2005, 12:58 AM
It's a 2003 Touring model with 18" rims. Nissan updated the suspension in US Z's in 2004.5 to the Euro suspension, which is more compliant. I was going to buy one, but Nissan service is horrible, as is the quality in the past few years. I have a 2000 Maxima and it has been nothing but problems.
Ah, ok . That will be it then. The Euro / later US suspension is a very good mix between cornering ability/feedback and daily comfort.

We've found Nissan US service a bit lacking at our local dealer, but then again my local Ford dealer (Maxwell Ford in Austin) was horrendous too. Had no idea what he was talking about (didn't even know the names of the car colours) *and* wanted $3k over MSRP. Then tried to sell me a "demo" car with 2200 miles on it for the 'bargain' price of $2k over MSRP. I laughed in his face. On the other hand, my next nearest dealer (Holly @ Leif Johnson) was fantastically helpful, and when I said I'm not ready to make a decision yet she respected that and hasn't hassled me once. She will get my business if I do decide to get a 'Stang.

Quick Reply: Independent Rear Suspension Rant