GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I'm getting blown

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/08, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting blown

Finally ordered on a Paxton 2200 and a CDC Shaker. I'm taking it to Breenspeed for the install on April 17th. Brent says that this will put me at 540 to 565 at the flywheel and 460 to 480 RWHP. I've always heard that 450 RWHP is as high as you want to go with stock tranny, driveshaft and internals. I'm kind of worried because if I push it too hard and trash something I'm not going to have any cash to repair it. I'd appreciate hearing from some of you that are running the Paxton 2200 especially those that have it dynoed by Brenspeed.

I've still got the 331 gears (its' a 2005 GT auto) and I'm wondering if I should wait and see how this works out or get 373 gears now.

The last question is do I need to get gauges to monitor a forced induction car right away or can I wait for a few months.
Old 3/14/08, 02:15 PM

I think you will be fine. Brent installs these kits all week long.
You think youre nervous now. Wait until you are in his shop and he is running your car on the dyno. You will be standing there waiting for a rod to fly out of the block, trust me.
Keep your gear, drive it first, then decid if you want more gear.
You dont have to have any gauges.
Boost is just a nice toy
fuel pressure is good but by the time you lose fule pressure youre too late.
wideband is the best but expensive and not absolutely necessary if Brent puts a nice tune on there.
Old 3/14/08, 02:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 364
Finally ordered on a Paxton 2200 and a CDC Shaker. I'm taking it to Breenspeed for the install on April 17th. Brent says that this will put me at 540 to 565 at the flywheel and 460 to 480 RWHP. I've always heard that 450 RWHP is as high as you want to go with stock tranny, driveshaft and internals. I'm kind of worried because if I push it too hard and trash something I'm not going to have any cash to repair it. I'd appreciate hearing from some of you that are running the Paxton 2200 especially those that have it dynoed by Brenspeed.

I've still got the 331 gears (its' a 2005 GT auto) and I'm wondering if I should wait and see how this works out or get 373 gears now.

The last question is do I need to get gauges to monitor a forced induction car right away or can I wait for a few months.

Well first off...Congratulations!!! Second is you could not be taking your car to a better installer and tuner. The numbers Brent has given you are a max he can get from your kit. If you feel uncomfortable with that level Brent can detune her a bit if you wish. What I might suggest is get 2 tunes from him. Get an all out max power tune you can load when you go to the track or feel frisky. Than the second tune have him pull out about 30 hp for daily driving. Than you can have the best of both worlds. And my suggestion on gears is wait until you get your supercharger installed and see how you like it. If you are happy with the performance than you just saved $600-$700 bucks!!
Scott
Old 3/14/08, 02:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by uberPony
You think youre nervous now. Wait until you are in his shop and he is running your car on the dyno. You will be standing there waiting for a rod to fly out of the block, trust me.
+1...I thought I was going to keel over.
Old 3/14/08, 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Congrats on the blower, fine choice........

Don't be a sissy when it comes to dyno time- get used to it!

I would do the guages if I were you... necessity, probably not but neither is the blower itself- or is it?
Old 3/14/08, 04:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 364

Congrats! I have the same Paxton 2200 H/O with the Intercooler. It's a nice setup and I'm very pleased with it. As far as the gears go...I went with the 3:73's. But I'm going to change to 3:55's. The 3:73's are great...but I want to go back to a little better HWY gear. With the 3:73's I can break the tires loose at 80 MPH if I punch it. That's great, but traction is a real issue. Actually your 3:31's may be just fine. Good luck! Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by MSGTGT; 3/14/08 at 05:04 PM.
Old 3/14/08, 05:35 PM
Cobra Member

Congrats

Do tell of the experience... one of the blowers I'm looking into
Old 3/14/08, 05:36 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be carefull about the 480rwhp. I know someone that had that tune with the paxton 2200 and blew his motor...He drove his car pretty hard but still, enjoy it but don't abuse it. I was gonna run the brenspeed 480rwhp tune to save a little money but realized I didn't want to chance it so I just got a dyno tune and had it de-tuned... You don't need gauges but they go hand in hand with the blower, I wouldn't run my blower without gauges. It's nice to know whats going on with your setup...With that said...

PAXTON 2200 FTW!!!

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 3/14/08 at 08:16 PM.
Old 3/14/08, 08:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Well first off...Congratulations!!! Second is you could not be taking your car to a better installer and tuner. The numbers Brent has given you are a max he can get from your kit. If you feel uncomfortable with that level Brent can detune her a bit if you wish. What I might suggest is get 2 tunes from him. Get an all out max power tune you can load when you go to the track or feel frisky. Than the second tune have him pull out about 30 hp for daily driving. Than you can have the best of both worlds. And my suggestion on gears is wait until you get your supercharger installed and see how you like it. If you are happy with the performance than you just saved $600-$700 bucks!!
Scott

Exactly
Old 3/16/08, 08:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nice!
Keep your RWHP under 450 and you should be fine.
I would keep the stock gears and see how you like them.
I can spin tires all the way thru 3rd gear if I want to with the 3.31 and have seen too many people go back to the stock gear when adding a SC.
Traction will be your main issue with the SC.
Make sure and video your dyno pulls. It's always fun to go back and hear the car run from outside the car!
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 3/16/08, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm probably living on the edge, but I'm @ 498rwhp on stock internals with my KB SC. Two things give me some peace of mind......1) I have a raptor shift light set at a conservative 5700rpms. 2) My tune is not too aggressive (19 degrees of timing & safe A/F ratio). My car will rarely see a track, so I won't be winding it out often. I also don't plan to got WOT in extremely cold weather.

You've got to pay to play, so if I blow it up, it will just give me an excuse to save up for a motor with forged internals. It helps that the Mustang is a weekend car for me!
Old 3/17/08, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I really appreciate all the comments guys. I think I'll play it safe and invest in a wide band and great idea to have a less agressive daily tune and the second one for going all out.

I've seen videos of people on Brent's dyno and it's scarry to watch even when it's someone else's car that strapped down. I can imagine what goes through you head when you see them cranking on your baby. That's going to give me nightmares.
Old 3/17/08, 09:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 364
I really appreciate all the comments guys. I think I'll play it safe and invest in a wide band and great idea to have a less agressive daily tune and the second one for going all out.

I've seen videos of people on Brent's dyno and it's scarry to watch even when it's someone else's car that strapped down. I can imagine what goes through you head when you see them cranking on your baby. That's going to give me nightmares.
I'll be seeing my car do that in a couple of weeks when I go in for the install. I know what you mean, ha
Old 3/18/08, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

Congrats and good choice!
Old 3/18/08, 08:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
someday i hope to get blown too...

im totally jeleous...