GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I started my car today in -5 degree F weather

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/05, 06:46 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It turned over real good thanks to Mobil 1, but I didn't give it much time to warm up. I backed up and put it in first drove about 10 feet and coasted with the clutch in and the car slowed to a halt like I had my foot on the brake. I guess that tranny and differential fluid needed time to warm up. My ebrake wasn't left on that night so that isn't it.

I thought you tropical weather guys would think this is funny.
Old 12/14/05, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dustindu4@December 14, 2005, 7:49 PM
It turned over real good thanks to Mobil 1, but I didn't give it much time to warm up. I backed up and put it in first drove about 10 feet and coasted with the clutch in and the car slowed to a halt like I had my foot on the brake. I guess that tranny and differential fluid needed time to warm up. My ebrake wasn't left on that night so that isn't it.

WHy aren't you using the engine block heater? Is your car kept outside?
Old 12/14/05, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, we don't "think" it's funny, it IS funny!
Old 12/14/05, 07:18 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait till you get to -40 and with wind chill -57 ...not only does your car want to stay in one spot but your motor turns into a musical melody of whining and screaching for the first 30 seconds
Old 12/14/05, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Glad to hear you got your car converted back from being a mustangcicle.
Old 12/14/05, 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Ripstang@December 14, 2005, 8:21 PM
Wait till you get to -40 and with wind chill -57
Just for the record, wind chill doesn't mean squat to your car. It MIGHT make a bit of difference when the engine starts to warm up enough to actually dissipate heat to the radiator, but until then, it is totally irrelevant.

Pet peive. The whole wind chill thing is totally irrelevant to something that isn't generating heat and trying not to dissipate it. Basically, that limits it to warm blooded living things.
Old 12/14/05, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@December 14, 2005, 8:59 PM
Just for the record, wind chill doesn't mean squat to your car. It MIGHT make a bit of difference when the engine starts to warm up enough to actually dissipate heat to the radiator, but until then, it is totally irrelevant.

Pet peive. The whole wind chill thing is totally irrelevant to something that isn't generating heat and trying not to dissipate it. Basically, that limits it to warm blooded living things.
Ok smarty pants who lives where it's nice and warm year round (I'm jealous), I think he just meant it's darn cold, for both car and driver. I can relate, but hopefully not anytime soon.
Old 12/15/05, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know. Like I said, pet peive! (Or is that "peeve"? I suck at spelling and I am SURE that I am violating someone else's peive or peeve...!)

Oh, and it was 15F this morning. 8F last week. Not 100% sure I would call that "warm". but it sure does beat -40! Been there done that (Thule Greenland).
Old 12/15/05, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@December 14, 2005, 8:59 PM

2. Can windchill impact my car's radiator or exposed water pipe? back

A. The only effect windchill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the windchill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 12/15/05, 11:16 AM
V6 Member

Man and I thought it was getting cold here at 65.
Old 12/15/05, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, -40 does suck in both Celcius and F. I have been there in Medicine Hat, Alberta. Strange things happen when it is that cold!!!
Old 12/15/05, 02:27 PM
FR500 Member

Reminds me of my last year in the Navy being stationed in Bath, Maine over the winter of 97'. I never did get used to waiting for a half hour for my truck to warm up so I could shift it.

I also found out what a "freezing spray alert was". OUCH!
Old 12/15/05, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@December 15, 2005, 9:36 AM
I know. Like I said, pet peive! (Or is that "peeve"? I suck at spelling and I am SURE that I am violating someone else's peive or peeve...!)
Darnit, it's PEEVE! AARRGGH!

OK, I'm just kidding.
Old 12/15/05, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@December 14, 2005, 7:49 PM

And I thought I was cold at ~32 here! I'd forgotten what it was like to live in the north east.
Old 12/15/05, 08:19 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Either way you take it for temp at -40 with windchill of -57 you still gotta go out and move the car (I did say the car wanted to stay in one spot did I ? )and if you have tried to move a car at those temps you know what I'm talking about
Old 12/15/05, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Ripstang@December 15, 2005, 9:22 PM
Either way you take it for temp at -40 with windchill of -57 you still gotta go out and move the car (I did say the car wanted to stay in one spot did I ? )and if you have tried to move a car at those temps you know what I'm talking about
In very cold weather (-40+ windchill) I've had the hydrolic clutch freeze up, and the power steering quit, among other things. Problem with the wind is, these components can't warm up, because the wind removes the heat from them as fast as it is created.
Old 12/15/05, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

it was freezing here in socal, i seroiusly had to wear a longsleeve shirt, and i drank sum hot chocolate at school it was lke 67 or so degrees and i was like freezing, i couldnt imagin it over there
Old 12/15/05, 09:06 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by My Blue Heaven@December 15, 2005, 1:57 PM
2. Can windchill impact my car's radiator or exposed water pipe? back

A. The only effect windchill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the windchill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.
CRAP, I'm back in science class again
Old 12/18/05, 09:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BaSsFreAk89@December 16, 2005, 5:57 AM
it was freezing here in socal, i seroiusly had to wear a longsleeve shirt, and i drank sum hot chocolate at school it was lke 67 or so degrees and i was like freezing, i couldnt imagin it over there

I love you SoCal natives... why be anywhere else?

Reminds me of a soldier from Hawaii -- native, never been off the island in his entire life -- who got so freaked out during maneuvers in a German winter they had to ship him home.

At least in the northeast, the warm weather means the reappearance of short, tight, women's clothing. You never really appreciate something until it's gone.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, and give a little thought to our fellow Americans in uniform overseas, doing the best job they can.
Old 12/18/05, 10:04 AM
FR500 Member

[quote=Deathdealer,December 18, 2005, 8:55 AM]

I love you SoCal natives... why be anywhere else?

At least in the northeast, the warm weather means the reappearance of short, tight, women's clothing. You never really appreciate something until it's gone.

Me thinks, we'll take our chances!

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, and give a little thought to our fellow Americans in uniform overseas, doing the best job they can.
:flag2: :usa: DITTO to that

Quick Reply: I started my car today in -5 degree F weather