GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I just need to vent/b_tch.... vinyal stripes

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/07, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just need to vent/b_tch.... vinyal stripes

*** note to self, not on instruction sheet..... do NOT get decal or it's backing wet before you peel it off the backing completely, otherwise the backing sticks to the vinyal and wont come off. essentially ruining that decal..... and an unknown number of others that got a few water spots on them while unrolling them ***

I tried to test fit just after washing my car, the front drivers side hood stripe.

I layed it on the hood that was wet in places and decided that I would go for it. Sprayed the hood down and started removing the decal... only to have the backing come off in strings and spots, sticking to the decal.... to the point where the entire backing was stuck to it...

frustrated I took a few names in vain, and trashed the decal, rolled the rest up and threw them in the trunk.

I need to calm down, figure out what it jacked up and then see if i can order seperate pieces from baltimorestreetmods....

I'VE NEVER BEEN SO PISZED AT A CAR MOD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE DOWN TO THE POINT THAT I HATE MY DAM CAR.

<INSERT THE MOST SWEARING YOU CAN STAND>
Old 3/11/07, 01:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
**** bro, so sorry to hear this, I know I'd be ****ed off to NO END! Give ya credit for trying it yourself but I also know I wouldn't attempt a job as stripping my Mustang for fear of exactly this happening. I'll let the "pros" do it and if they F'up it's on them to fix it! Good luck!
Old 3/11/07, 01:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

its easier to install a turbo in a car that was never meant to have one....

i'll take difusing a bomb over this anyday..

I even ask my wife for help, with help i might have gotten the paper off faster, instead of trying to hold it on the wet soapy hood and trying to get paper off of the vinyal....

then she gives me a funny look when i tell her there goes possibly 139.00 down the tubes.

i'm so peesed off....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 3/11/07, 01:32 PM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jee that's a bummer

back when i had my vinyl stripes, i got them from bobwhite.
i generously sprayed soapy water to align the stripe and sometimes had to spray some more which in turn got to the backing paper..
but i haven't had this particular problem.. the backing paper always peeled off easily

and recently with the Ford OEM GT500 rocker stripes.. same thing.. no issues

could it possibly be a bad batch? old maybe?
Old 3/11/07, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Sorry dude that I didn't mention that to you..... I know I posted it somewhere on the site but it totally slipped my mind. I had a similar thing happen to me, and I was able to save the piece but it was a complete PITA.

If it's any consolation, BSM does sell the individual pieces separately, I know because I ordered the front bumper pieces so I could redo them last year and I'll probably order the rear bumper pieces this year and redo them.....

Calm down, have a drink, and try again once you get the piece.
Old 3/11/07, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Rob at BSMs hooked me up when I screwed up some of mine. He's a good guy, I think I just had to pay shipping for my replacement piece.
Old 3/11/07, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1SG
Rob at BSMs hooked me up when I screwed up some of mine. He's a good guy, I think I just had to pay shipping for my replacement piece.

thanks guys... good to know.

I put it all away and left, picked up my gf, had lunch... took a ride to the stealership to ask them who does theirs... then drove home.

I will give the rear end a shot and work my way forward and ask Rob if he can get me a replacement front piece.

I expected some problems as i've never dealt with this before.. i'm not a sticker guy.. (at myself)

"see that tiny little hole right there... yea that one the size of an apple.. that would be a perfect spot for a turbo...."

stickers aren't my thing.

still, looking at it.. it's a lot cheaper than painted stripes.
Old 3/11/07, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well if you're up for a long road trip, you can bring it by anytime! LOL!! I'll even do the install for free!
Old 3/11/07, 05:53 PM
GT Member

I also had some minor problems, like bugs sticking to the decal. Remember take your time and it will all work out, it took me about a week to finish. baltimorestreetmods are great to work with, they will hook you up with replacement decals, they did for me... The front bumper is the worst... the back rear bumper is also kinda tricky as there will be 2 creases on both sides of the upper license plate area... As the solution dries and some careful rubbing will be required and they will rub out...

see my attached pics...

Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
*** note to self, not on instruction sheet..... do NOT get decal or it's backing wet before you peel it off the backing completely, otherwise the backing sticks to the vinyal and wont come off. essentially ruining that decal..... and an unknown number of others that got a few water spots on them while unrolling them ***

I tried to test fit just after washing my car, the front drivers side hood stripe.

I layed it on the hood that was wet in places and decided that I would go for it. Sprayed the hood down and started removing the decal... only to have the backing come off in strings and spots, sticking to the decal.... to the point where the entire backing was stuck to it...

frustrated I took a few names in vain, and trashed the decal, rolled the rest up and threw them in the trunk.

I need to calm down, figure out what it jacked up and then see if i can order seperate pieces from baltimorestreetmods....

I'VE NEVER BEEN SO PISZED AT A CAR MOD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE DOWN TO THE POINT THAT I HATE MY DAM CAR.

<INSERT THE MOST SWEARING YOU CAN STAND>
Attached Thumbnails I just need to vent/b_tch.... vinyal stripes-stripe-install-layout.jpg   I just need to vent/b_tch.... vinyal stripes-stripe-rear-part.jpg   I just need to vent/b_tch.... vinyal stripes-stripe-complete.jpg   I just need to vent/b_tch.... vinyal stripes-rear-complete.jpg  
Old 3/11/07, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the rear trunk/emblem section done and the rear center taillight section done and the spoiler done.

My hands feel like a little extra soap was in the solution...

I used a hair dryer after the sun went down and finished those sections in the dark.

my god does the black show lots of bubbles.

I got a lot out but assume most will pop down or i'll have to take a pin with me for the next 100 years poking holes in anything that pops up.

I will take a picture in the morning and let you guys judge hwo I did.

the spoiler was the biggest pain but it worked out.. I just hope there wasnt too much soap in my solution and that the decals will stick and stay stuck after the 7 day drying period.

I will never do this again....

i think the hood and roof will be the easiest... maybe

frustration.
Old 3/11/07, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor

Dude, I'm sorry about that. Trust me... I do alot of our tinting here... I KNOW YOUR PAIN! It will work out for you! And in the end you'll have nothing but a sick looking ride!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 3/11/07, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

tint is next... but i'm taking it somewhere.

if the decals pull off or fall off or whatever... i'm going to yank them off and have it done by someone else.

cross your fingers for no rain in the next week.

i hate driving with half of it done too... looks like ***.
Old 3/11/07, 09:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs down

i gave up on decals.... after a 1000 miles of highwat driving they looked like sh*t. had them painted on and added SIX coats of clear after hand sanding the stripes . I now LOVE my stripes It is a Mineral Gray...and people ARE AMAZED AT HOW NICE THEY LOOK and how shiny my car is .
Old 3/11/07, 11:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Been there too... but BSM is great and you'll get replacement quick. If you read closely, they tell not to wet the backing...
Old 3/12/07, 01:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

06GTwJuice-Off topic but...In post #3 you say you asked the wife to help. Then in post #7 you say you took your gf to lunch.
Old 3/12/07, 01:23 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha good catch

maybe he has a wife AND a girlfriend?
06GTwJUICE: teach me!

I even ask my wife for help, with help i might have gotten the paper off faster
I put it all away and left, picked up my gf, had lunch...
Old 3/12/07, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
06GTwJuice-Off topic but...In post #3 you say you asked the wife to help. Then in post #7 you say you took your gf to lunch.
I was wondering the same thing.
It's no wonder he has to save his pennies.
1 of the 2 is expensive enough.
Old 3/12/07, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by G.T
haha good catch

maybe he has a wife AND a girlfriend?
06GTwJUICE: teach me!

Yep, I typed it correctly and you read correctly.

It's complicated but yes, I have both(Taiwanese wife, japanese girlfriend). If thats not enough, I also have a F-ck buddy (from Hong Kong) who also lives in the same comlex. How many men can say they have three women all in the same apartment complex that all know about each other.

I hope i'm not judge negatively by this..., after all I'm just a man trying to make it though life the best he can and I'm far from perfect.
Old 3/12/07, 11:46 AM
Former Vendor

1 Set of problems is plenty for CR! LOL

Tillman Speed
Old 3/12/07, 12:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

I emailed Rob at BSM and included pics. He said that with that many bubbles he doubts it going to flatten out.

I'm going to go out, poke some holes in what is there and see what happens today but it looks like an entire day was wasted.

Rob is sending me out a new set.

Anyone in LA who has done them, want to drink some beer and do vinyl?

jake

Quick Reply: I just need to vent/b_tch.... vinyal stripes