GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I have hi-flow cats - Would headers be worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 7/19/08, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have hi-flow cats - Would headers be worthwhile?

I already have a Bassani x-pipe with hi-flow cats. I have been thinking of headers recently but am wondering if it is worth it if I already am running with hi-flow cats.

I have seen the advice to get the same manufacturer of headers as the mid-pipe. So a new set of Bassani headers would be over $800 plus any install help I might need. Are the gains over the already installed x-pipe worth it?

Any one know what the HP gains of headers over the already installed hi-flow x-pipe is?
Old 7/19/08, 11:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want a bolt on header without any modifications to your mid-pipe you would have to go with a shorty header. I would go with the bbk tuned shorties. I have heard good things
Old 7/20/08, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a long thread called 'pulled trigger on LT's', lots of info and the OBX header are $480 shipped with 2 o/r h pipes. Get those and sell your midpipe. Just my $0.02.
Old 7/20/08, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Dean...

Did you sell your midpipe privately or to a scrap yard? What did you end up doing with your stock headers? I need to start getting rid of some of this stuff, running out of room in my small garage...

Al

Originally Posted by Redrocket06
There is a long thread called 'pulled trigger on LT's', lots of info and the OBX header are $480 shipped with 2 o/r h pipes. Get those and sell your midpipe. Just my $0.02.
Old 7/21/08, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrocket06
Yeah, I saw that thread. But I guess that leads to a second question. What kind of gains would I get from that OBX set up vs. the already paid for hi-flow cat set up I have. Would it be worth the effort to install headers?
Old 7/22/08, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by EastCoast07GtCs
Hey Dean...

Did you sell your midpipe privately or to a scrap yard? What did you end up doing with your stock headers? I need to start getting rid of some of this stuff, running out of room in my small garage...

Al
Well Al, I have them hangen out at home in a closet. Haven't given much thought of how to get rid of them, I don't look at them often enough. I guess your best bet would be to sell them as scrap metal.
Old 7/22/08, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kluski
Yeah, I saw that thread. But I guess that leads to a second question. What kind of gains would I get from that OBX set up vs. the already paid for hi-flow cat set up I have. Would it be worth the effort to install headers?
I love the added crack to the exhaust sound the LT headers give, and it gave me good mid and upper rpm gains (no real dyno info, just butt dyno). I never had a anything on the exhaust except the OBX and stock, so I can not compair it to cats/midpipe w/stock headers. I did have a 2001 silverado with the 5.3L, never had LT's on it but had gibson shorties stock y pipe with magnaflow cats and muffler. That gave me excellent low to mid range power and some up top too.

From here on is all my opinion, people feel free to correct me:
I would expect about the same on the stang, LT's - lose a little down low, strong gain up top. Shorties, hi flow cats/mid pipe - strong down low, gain a little up top (good all around performer). It all depends on your ultimate goal. I will go SC next year and I couldn't pass the deal up on the OBX even though they are 1 5/8 inch primaries.