GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

hydrocarbon trap and tunes

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/05, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since all mustangs made after a certain date have no H/C traps(I confirmed this the other day by checking all the GT's on my dealers lot-none had one)I was thinking,maybe those cars have a slightly different tune than the rest of ours origonally with H/C traps.If so,then we could run the K&N intake without trap with no need for a tune if we had our dealer re-flash with the updated tune.Question is,how do we find out if there really is a updated tune and what is it called?Maybe somehow we can contact a ford tech about this.My reason for this is that at this time im not fully convinced that all aftermarket tuners have all the bugs worked out of them.and this ford tune will not void our warrantys.Anybody have any ideas about this ?????
Old 6/29/05, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I was wondering the same thing....

A 93octane tune and removing the carbon trap can yeild significant hp....
Old 6/29/05, 02:12 PM
Cobra Member

My car came with the H/C trap, I put the K&N in without the trap. Works great with out it. I think the car has a little room for varience, even though it's not much.....
Old 6/29/05, 05:45 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

hahahha. I can picture you going arround to each car, popping the hood, disconnecting the intake, and checking for an HC trap. I bet all the salesmen were dumbfounded....lol
Old 6/30/05, 04:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Had the same question. Put the K&N on and did put the HC in. Did this to be on the safe side. Have about 1000 miles with the K&N and no problems. Want to remove the HC and go to 93 octane, sooner rather than later.
Old 7/1/05, 07:49 AM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Nothing bad will happen to the engine without the HC trap...took mine out at 1000 miles, 5800 miles now still running strong
Old 3/6/06, 01:45 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZRX4ME @ June 28, 2005, 9:43 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
since all mustangs made after a certain date have no H/C traps(I confirmed this the other day by checking all the GT's on my dealers lot-none had one)I was thinking,maybe those cars have a slightly different tune than the rest of ours origonally with H/C traps.If so,then we could run the K&N intake without trap with no need for a tune if we had our dealer re-flash with the updated tune.Question is,how do we find out if there really is a updated tune and what is it called?Maybe somehow we can contact a ford tech about this.My reason for this is that at this time im not fully convinced that all aftermarket tuners have all the bugs worked out of them.and this ford tune will not void our warrantys.Anybody have any ideas about this ?????
[/b][/quote]
I spoke to Marty, who's a Ford Racing Tech Rep. and asked him that very same question.. Anyway after he said that it would take about a week to do some checking and research, here's what I found out.. According to a Ford engineer, that he spoke with..In his opinion, if you remove both the HC trap, and then add a free flowing filter, the stock calibration will no longer be within the allowable 5%+or - adjustment range..In other words, any increase in airflow, that is beyond the stock program's 5% compensation range, will as a result, cause the air/fuel ratio to read as an unsafe lean condition... Therefore, he strongly advises if you're going to remove the HC trap, be sure NOT to replace the stock paper filter, with a K&N or any other free flowing filter, otherwise you're computer will require a re-flash.. In addition, now I finally understand as to why both K&N and Airaid require the HC traps, in their cold air kits... As for the 05's that don't include the HC trap.. The same technician also confirmed, there were NO calibration changes to the stock programming, after Ford discontinued installing the HC traps, in mid 05..However, in this case..if you plan on doing any filter or intake mod's, you will be required to re-flash you're computer, unless you decide to install a trap.. Seems there is no other way, of getting around this... Anyway, hope you'll find some of this as being useful, and hopefully are able to make some sense, out of it... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 3/6/06, 04:44 AM
V6 Member

I did three Dyno runs last week. After the first run I had them remove the H/C trap and gained 6HP! I have the CDC shaker setup that comes with a "High Flow" air filter and acording to the Dyno, the A/F ratio was within an "acceptible" range. I got a print out but I don't think it has the A/F ratio listed on it. I will call the Dyno guy and get the numbers for you guy's. I left out the H/C trap because I plan on putting in a C&L kit with a tune SOON, and then I will re Dyno it to make sure it's OK.
Old 3/7/06, 07:48 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IE8Z28 @ March 6, 2006, 6:47 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I did three Dyno runs last week. After the first run I had them remove the H/C trap and gained 6HP! I have the CDC shaker setup that comes with a "High Flow" air filter and acording to the Dyno, the A/F ratio was within an "acceptible" range. I got a print out but I don't think it has the A/F ratio listed on it. I will call the Dyno guy and get the numbers for you guy's. I left out the H/C trap because I plan on putting in a C&L kit with a tune SOON, and then I will re Dyno it to make sure it's OK.
[/b][/quote]
I'm just going by Ford's opinion and recommendation...Other than that, the only other reason that I can possible think of is, the 05 Mustang has 10 different computer's, in which out of those 10, that Ford installs, each 05 Mustang has a different computer code, meaning that its possible Ford may have programmed each computer's calibration, in a slightly different manner, just for the sake that no. 2 vehicles are calibrated or programmed alike, in the same way.. So perhaps you're car may respond to airflow changes differently, compared to somebody else's ? And again, this is just an educated guess, so I could be completly wrong here.. Anyway, hope this may at least be, somewhat helpful... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]