GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

hurst short throw installed :-)

Search this Thread

Old 4/11/08, 07:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hurst short throw installed :-)

took about 3 hours to install with a friend of mine but only because we stopped to eat, had to head over to sears for a few more tools and we just took our time. the hardest part was getting the d@am hurst shifter in there. "a little finesse" my A$$! that sucka just wouldnt go in but eventually we got it. even though i never take the mustang out unless its 100% dry, i just couldnt install it w/o testing. the roads were about 90% dry because of the dense fog so there was alittle tire slippage but WOW! the throw is soooo short it is unbelievable. i wish i did this sooner. now when i read "this is a must do mod" again on TMS im taking the posters word for it.

next is installing the steeda ultra-lites when its nice out again which will probably be tuesday. then friday im off to tillman speed for an SCT2, some custom tunes, an UDP install and possibly a C&L Racer CAI (i already have the K&N CAI).

CANT WAIT!

Last edited by slipnotovk; 4/11/08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 4/11/08, 09:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you install the Comp Plus or the newer Billet Hurst?
Old 4/12/08, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, it's like a puzzle snaking the shifter through the hole in the floorboard and over the driveshaft - it fits, but just barely, and probably only one way. If other people out there are installing it, and you start to force it - STOP. It will go without forcing it if you maneuver it the right way.
Old 4/12/08, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Did you install the Comp Plus or the newer Billet Hurst?
that would be the comp plus. i havent heard much about the billet hurst as in pros and cons so i went with what i knew which was the comp shifter.

Originally Posted by wjones14
Yeah, it's like a puzzle snaking the shifter through the hole in the floorboard and over the driveshaft - it fits, but just barely, and probably only one way. If other people out there are installing it, and you start to force it - STOP. It will go without forcing it if you maneuver it the right way.
i really wanted to force it in but i read many times that it will eventually go in but what a PIA. yea there def is only one way because we angled it in so many different directions and then w/o even trying i just yelled to my friend who was sitting in the car.....I THINK IT JUST WENT IN! DONT MOVE!!!! and voila. 4 bolts later and i was one happy shifter
Old 4/12/08, 03:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love my comp plus....

and yea the install is a pain!!!!
Old 4/13/08, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

what kind of troubled me was the instructions the shifter came with. The shifter bottom had that offset and hursts instructions said to make sure the longer end is towards the passanger side. well i did this, put the boot on and finished up. long and behold the shifter was waaaaaaay too close the the drivers side. it was actually almost rubbing against the side of the console. i got back under the car and turned it around and it is now dead center. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ter/index2.php. on that link he says to Rotate the shorter end to the passenger side of the car. he was correct and yet the company was wrong. alittle disturbing but atleast i fixed it.

Last edited by slipnotovk; 4/27/08 at 12:42 PM.
Old 4/26/08, 08:11 PM

Thank you Slip for the info at the end. We just installed the shifter today and I noticed how far over "First and Second" were. I kept going over and over the instructions, glad I found your post.

The sad thing about this is it takes longer to get the car in the air, than it will to switch the shifter bottom in the other direction.

Just a side note the new Bullitt Shifter boot I bought from KC on the forum fits perfectly around the Hurst Chrome stalk, so you don't have to use that little rubber piece that ships with the Hurst shifter.
Old 4/26/08, 11:58 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
steeda ultralites
Old 4/27/08, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
steeda ultralites
they are still sitting in the box in my garage. i recently got rear ended and i just recently got the car back from the body shop. and ofcorse after 13 days of total sunshine, there is nothing but rain in the forecast until the middle of the week. i cannot WAIT to get those springs on there. im so sick of that raked look you have no idea.

o and no prob mikeypw. im glad i could help.
Old 4/29/08, 06:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mikeypw shoot me a email at nishikigoi_lover@hotmail.com