GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Shift Lever

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/08, 05:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
K. You're not listening.... It came stock with bolts NO NUTS. So they would wiggle lose. I tried the strongest locktight I could find. Lasted 1 week came loose. I went out got longer bolts and aircraft grade locking nuts. Tried that with the locktight. Came loose after 1.5 weeks. This is tightening easily 100 pounds pressure. Besides all that. A person shouldn't have to do all that crap. A company that specialized in a product should make it right before releasing it to the public. The handle holes should have been a tight fit around the bolts.
I don't understand why you just didn't go out and buy some shouldered bolts to make up the slop in the handle, would of cost you about 50 cents.
Old 1/16/08, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K. You're not listening.... It came stock with bolts NO NUTS. So they would wiggle lose. I tried the strongest locktight I could find. Lasted 1 week came loose. I went out got longer bolts and aircraft grade locking nuts. Tried that with the locktight. Came loose after 1.5 weeks. This is tightening easily 100 pounds pressure. Besides all that. A person shouldn't have to do all that crap. A company that specialized in a product should make it right before releasing it to the public. The handle holes should have been a tight fit around the bolts.
Sorry you are having problems, I've had mine for about 2 years now and the first time I installed it, it came loose as you described. I simply tightened mine correctly and put some threadlock on it, no problems since. Maybe if you didn't just flat out call something a POS and just slam it for being an inferior piece, others wouldn't try to argue with you all day. As it stands, you gave your opinion, now everyone else is going to give you theirs. Their opinion is different, not necessarily wrong. Your results went one way, a lot of others went the other way. Glad you found a shifter that you like, I personally like my Hurst. Now, what was the original topic about?
Old 1/16/08, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BADGT350
I don't understand why you just didn't go out and buy some shouldered bolts to make up the slop in the handle, would of cost you about 50 cents.
Cause I couldnt find any with the exact width/length of shoulder and threading. ANYWHERE. I forgot mention that I tried that too. And again this shouldn't be something I the end user customer should have to do. It should come good to go.

Originally Posted by azoufan
Sorry you are having problems, I've had mine for about 2 years now and the first time I installed it, it came loose as you described. I simply tightened mine correctly and put some threadlock on it, no problems since. Maybe if you didn't just flat out call something a POS and just slam it for being an inferior piece, others wouldn't try to argue with you all day. As it stands, you gave your opinion, now everyone else is going to give you theirs. Their opinion is different, not necessarily wrong. Your results went one way, a lot of others went the other way. Glad you found a shifter that you like, I personally like my Hurst. Now, what was the original topic about?
As I said I did like the hurst "when" it worked properly. And I'm not the only one that had this problem bad enough to change shifters. I've personally talked to atleast 5 others that had the exact problem just as bad. But I'm glad you haven't had it effect you as bad as it did me and others. I guess my point is. Some people have had hurst and had no problem. Some have had hurst and had HUGE problems. NO ONE has had mgw and had any problem whatsoever.

Oh and I don't hate hurst. I was just really dissapointed with all the problems with their shifter. I still use the white hurst ball with my mgw.
Old 1/16/08, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

Cause I couldnt find any with the exact width/length of shoulder and threading. ANYWHERE. I forgot mention that I tried that too. And again this shouldn't be something I the end user customer should have to do. It should come good to go.

As I said I did like the hurst "when" it worked properly. And I'm not the only one that had this problem bad enough to change shifters. I've personally talked to atleast 5 others that had the exact problem just as bad. But I'm glad you haven't had it effect you as bad as it did me and others. I guess my point is. Some people have had hurst and had no problem. Some have had hurst and had HUGE problems. NO ONE has had mgw and had any problem whatsoever.

Oh and I don't hate hurst. I was just really dissapointed with all the problems with their shifter. I still use the white hurst ball with my mgw.

Are you sure that MGW hasn't had any problems because I thought I read were someone had one that was tearing his shifter boot up and one that couldn't get his to keep from twisting. Correct me if I wrong and I am not beating on any one's product. Just making a point that no one's product is PERFECT and different things may happen.
Old 1/16/08, 10:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
Are you sure that MGW hasn't had any problems because I thought I read were someone had one that was tearing his shifter boot up and one that couldn't get his to keep from twisting. Correct me if I wrong and I am not beating on any one's product. Just making a point that no one's product is PERFECT and different things may happen.
True enough. But i'd rather maybe have shift boot problems then something that actually effects driveability and use.
Old 1/16/08, 11:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
I believe you are absolutely correct about no one's product is PERFECT and the above mentioned problems with the MGW shifter. Those problems and several more were identified in the original 'beta' buy, the first 100 customers. That was the whole intent of the 'beta' release. When you supply 100 mustangers with a new product, you can be guaranteed any weakness in the product will be realized before long. And it worked...

If you continued to follow the MGW threads, you know that any issues brought up were addressed immediately by MGW Ltd and George provided every customer with the updated parts to correct the problems found.

Hurst, PRO 5.0, Steeda, B&M all make quality shifters. It's a matter of personal taste and to some it is loyalty to a brand/manufacturer. The main point is, are you happy with what you have??? Because, that's the only thing that matters.

If you're happy with what you have, I'm happy for you.

Bobby M.
Old 1/17/08, 06:34 AM
GT Member

Do you have a drill and bits, tap & die kit?

You could have found a bolt close to what you needed, drilled the handle to the correct diameter of the shoulder on the bolt and threaded the the shifter and or shoulder on the bolt to match.

I know this sounds like a lot of work and you are right when you say it should be good to go from the box but aftermarket parts don't always go quite that smoothly.

I always look at it as a challenge when things don't go just right, I don't like to give up when just a bit of good Ole American ingenuity can fix it.
Old 1/17/08, 07:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Love my Hurst. I appreciate George at MGW's classy answer. George, rest assured that I for one expect folks to be loyal to what they like and appreciate your classy answer. It represents MGW well.
Old 1/17/08, 11:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BADGT350
Do you have a drill and bits, tap & die kit?

You could have found a bolt close to what you needed, drilled the handle to the correct diameter of the shoulder on the bolt and threaded the the shifter and or shoulder on the bolt to match.

I know this sounds like a lot of work and you are right when you say it should be good to go from the box but aftermarket parts don't always go quite that smoothly.

I always look at it as a challenge when things don't go just right, I don't like to give up when just a bit of good Ole American ingenuity can fix it.
No I don't have those tools. I usually look at it as a challenge as well but the mgw is such a far superior part that the better shifting (especially power shifting) and **** height and angle adjustability made the switch worth while anyway.
Old 1/19/08, 07:15 AM
GT Member

2kanchoo, I think you ended up with the better shifter anyway. I bought the Hurst shifter when it 1st came out, after I saw that it used the OEM frame I took it back without even trying it, I know others like it but I went another direction too.