GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Shift Lever

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/08, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hurst Shift Lever

I was wondering if the Hurst shift lever and **** will attach to the Steeda Tri-Ax. I currently have the Tri-Ax, which I received for Christmas, but really love the look of the Hurst. If it can be done, where can I find a Hurst lever? Or should I just get a Hurst? Thanks.
Old 1/15/08, 04:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Ray... as far as I know, the Hurst handle will fit on a Steeda TriAx, you may have to change the attachment bolts. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

I had a Steeda before I got the MGW, if you are going to spend $273.00 for a Steeda I would highly recommend putting $22.00 with it and getting the MGW, I promise you, you won't be sorry. And you won't have to add motor mounts or torque braces so you can shift at high RPM, if you are inclined to that sort of thing.

When I had my Steeda shifter, I wanted a Hurst type handle, so I made several flat steel handles, similar to a Hurst. I wanted the Hurst shifter boot adapter that is included with all Hurst Comp Plus shifters, you know the little rubber adapter that holds the boot to the handle... I contacted Hurst and Mr. Gasket four different times by their site 'contact us' links and never once did a I get a response as to how I could order the adapter from them... that did it for Hurst products for me... They do make good quality shifters, but the customer service really sucks... I guess if you aren't going to spend money for a shifter they don't think it is worth their time respond. Just my personal opinion...

Maybe if you buy a handle they will sell you the adapter too??

Bobby M.
Old 1/15/08, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Go with the MGW. The hurst shifter is a peice of crap. The engineering and quality control that went into it is a joke. The mgw on the other hand is without a doubt THEE best s197 shifter you can get in every way. Engineering, quality, fitment, feel, everything. You can get a choice of handles with either the s197 threading or the standard threading which means you can keep the hurst ball. Which I did.
Old 1/15/08, 08:05 PM

I don't doubt that the MGW is nice, but the Hurst is not the POS that some claim. I like mine a lot. And you can also get the Hurst with either thread size to use the classic ball or the stock ****.
Old 1/15/08, 10:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I drove a car with the MGW shifter and I was glad that I didn't jump on the MGW bandwagon and get rid of my Pro5.0. It just wasn't that much better IMO.

You can get a Hurst shifter handle and mate it up to the Steeda/Pro5.0 with a couple of little tweaks.
Old 1/15/08, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

I have the Hurst handle on my Pro 5.0 and it should fit your Tri-Ax. I now have one of the best shifters and best looking handle's made for the mustangs. I purchased the handle from a forum member, if you need any info just PM me.
Old 1/15/08, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MdnytRider
I don't doubt that the MGW is nice, but the Hurst is not the POS that some claim. I like mine a lot. And you can also get the Hurst with either thread size to use the classic ball or the stock ****.
That's just cause you'res hasn't wiggled lose yet. I've posted extensively about the one I had and how horrible it was. The bolts would wiggle lose and the handle would have a good 3/4" of forward and back movement wiggling all over when you're trying to shift. I tried locking nuts, threadlock, everything it wouldn't hold.
Old 1/16/08, 05:21 AM
GT Member

I do too, no problems with it coming loose, shifts just fine, plus looks better than most

[QUOTE]
I don't doubt that the MGW is nice, but the Hurst is not the POS that some claim. I like mine a lot.
Old 1/16/08, 06:53 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
That's just cause you'res hasn't wiggled lose yet. I've posted extensively about the one I had and how horrible it was. The bolts would wiggle lose and the handle would have a good 3/4" of forward and back movement wiggling all over when you're trying to shift. I tried locking nuts, threadlock, everything it wouldn't hold.
+1. ive tried both. the hurst and the mgw. needess to say i sold my hurst a couple weeks back. the customer service at mgw is awesome. if all you care about is looks then dont worry about this thread. if you want performance then go mgw. i promise you wont regret it.
Old 1/16/08, 07:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Agreed - my Hurst has a quirk or two, but the lack of slop, the shortness of shifts and the true muscle-car looks are worth the trade off.
Old 1/16/08, 11:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I installed my Hurst over a year ago, and the bolts haven't wiggled loose yet. I just followed the directions, using the blue loctite on the handle bolts, and haven't had a problem since. No rattles, no looseness - everything is perfect and I love the Hurst.

Maybe you got a defective piece? How long before your bolts wiggled loose? Does it take more than a year?
Old 1/16/08, 01:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure the MGW shifter is great, but the fanboy stuff gets old. I have Hurst in both of ours and love it. I was thinking about trying an MGW in one to see what the the hype was about, but the fanboy stuff has gone so far, I don't even like hearing the name MGW anymore. Everytime Hurst (or any other shifter, for that matter) is brought up, a bunch of people jump in and say Hurst sucks, or MGW is the best, or "get a real shifter like MGW" or something like that. And I'm just plain tired of hearing about it.
Old 1/16/08, 01:58 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I'm sure the MGW shifter is great, but the fanboy stuff gets old. I have Hurst in both of ours and love it. I was thinking about trying an MGW in one to see what the the hype was about, but the fanboy stuff has gone so far, I don't even like hearing the name MGW anymore. Everytime Hurst (or any other shifter, for that matter) is brought up, a bunch of people jump in and say Hurst sucks, or MGW is the best, or "get a real shifter like MGW" or something like that. And I'm just plain tired of hearing about it.

i am very sorry you feel this way and i agree that it should not be included in a thread about a competitors product but i honestly am just trying to make the best product that i can and do not pay people to post this stuff i swear

i personally believe that the hurst is NOT crap but a quality piece. it has different features than my shifter some of which appeal to people and some that do not. that is why hurst will always sell alot of shifters and have its own loyal following.

please do not think poorly of my company or the fellow members due to people just being loyal to their own brand decision.

AND back to topic....

yes you can mount the hurst on the triax or pro5.0 as i have personally seen them on local cars and they look good

regards
george
Old 1/16/08, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Go with the MGW. The hurst shifter is a peice of crap. The engineering and quality control that went into it is a joke. The mgw on the other hand is without a doubt THEE best s197 shifter you can get in every way. Engineering, quality, fitment, feel, everything. You can get a choice of handles with either the s197 threading or the standard threading which means you can keep the hurst ball. Which I did.

The Hurst unit is hardly a piece of crap. If that were the case, I highly doubt Ford, Shelby and Roush would be using it.
Old 1/16/08, 02:38 PM

I've had my Hurst on for one year now, with 25,000 miles and nothing has wiggled loose. Zero problems with it, I love my Hurst. Would love to have a MGW shifter, looks like an impressive unit. But I already own the Hurst and am perfectly happy with it.
Old 1/16/08, 03:48 PM
V6 Member

Well, I'm glad to hear that the Hurst handle fits on the Tri-Ax. Does anyone know what needs to be done to mount the Hurst on the Tri-Ax? I have the Hurst stuff ordered and am just waiting for it to get here before I start this project. Thanks.
Old 1/16/08, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
The Hurst unit is hardly a piece of crap. If that were the case, I highly doubt Ford, Shelby and Roush would be using it.
They might have come out with a new version but the one that came with the frpp drag pack a year ago was a completely useless peice of shlt. Here I'll show you the pictures.
Here's the reason why the handle would come loose. Why a "shifter" company would ever let this get past the r&d stage is beyond me.

Here's 2 that show just how much movement it would have.

You can see how much wiggle is down at the base. Of course because of the length of the arm it is that much greater where the shift **** sits. Now imagine trying to shift and having it wobble all over the place. It was dangerous at best.

That being said. I did love the feel of it "when" it was holding together properly. But again there is absolutely no comparison to the mgw. The reason there are so many "fanboys" is because it is just SOOOOO much far superior to anything out there, that anyone that has one can't feel any other way about it.
Old 1/16/08, 05:00 PM
GT Member

the grooves keep it in place with the right pressure of the bolts, if applied right shouldnt have any movement what so ever

They might have come out with a new version but the one that came with the frpp drag pack a year ago was a completely useless peice of shlt. Here I'll show you the pictures.
Here's the reason why the handle would come loose. Why a "shifter" company would ever let this get past the r&d stage is beyond me.

Here's 2 that show just how much movement it would have.

You can see how much wiggle is down at the base. Of course because of the length of the arm it is that much greater where the shift **** sits. Now imagine trying to shift and having it wobble all over the place. It was dangerous at best.

That being said. I did love the feel of it "when" it was holding together properly. But again there is absolutely no comparison to the mgw. The reason there are so many "fanboys" is because it is just SOOOOO much far superior to anything out there, that anyone that has one can't feel any other way about it.
Old 1/16/08, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by HAMRS_gt
the grooves keep it in place with the right pressure of the bolts, if applied right shouldnt have any movement what so ever
K. You're not listening.... It came stock with bolts NO NUTS. So they would wiggle lose. I tried the strongest locktight I could find. Lasted 1 week came loose. I went out got longer bolts and aircraft grade locking nuts. Tried that with the locktight. Came loose after 1.5 weeks. This is tightening easily 100 pounds pressure. Besides all that. A person shouldn't have to do all that crap. A company that specialized in a product should make it right before releasing it to the public. The handle holes should have been a tight fit around the bolts.
Old 1/16/08, 05:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Quick Reply: Hurst Shift Lever