GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst billet shifter installation and review!!

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/08, 08:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurst billet shifter installation and review!!

Ok so I got some goodies from the ups man today!! My brand spanking new billet hurst. Let me say it does look dang good. Quality is top notch, looks like it should be on a airplane or something. Now onto the installation....

First just let me say hursts instrustions sucked ***. U might as well throw them out lol. Its pretty much the same as the non billet version cept a couple details. The stock shifter came out rather easily, I did the whole install myself. My problems came when I tried to put in the new billet shifter. The instructions say to try and "angle" it into the shifter whole well thats all a load of . For the life of me i couldnt get it to go in no matter what i tried. What finally did work is i angled the shifter almost straight down and got it threw the hole. Mind you it didnt go in the way the instructions say or any other way i've seen peolpe do on here with the other hurst shifter. After I had it vertical sticking down threw the hole, i crawled under the car and managed to pull it all the way down. I then proceeded to get it stuck between the driveshaft, tranny and the floor pan. I just kept messing with it and all of a sudden I just hit the right angle and it just drops right past the driveshaft and I was holding it under the car! I couldnt believe it, I've heard from so many people that the only way to put it in is through the hole where the shifter goes, unless u drop the driveshaft. Well Im here to tell u right now thats . If u angle it right it will slide right up between the driveshaft and floor pan from underneath the car without having to drop the driveshaft. Maybe its different with this shifter but I know it made the installation a hell of alot easier after i figured that out. My next learing experience is with the adjustable stops on the new shifter. If u plan on using these adjust them to where u might think u'll like them before u put in the shifter!!! I know this sounds stupid but the reason being, its next to impossible to get the rubber boot around the base of the shifter, after the shifter is installed. The stops stick out the back and front of the shifter and its a biznatch to get that rubber around them. I'm talking about the smaller hole on the bottom of the boot that didnt seal around the floor pan but rather the shifter itself. Once you have the stops adjusted, put the rubber boot on before you put the shifter in. It makes it soooooo much easier. If you put the rubber boot on before u install the shifter u wont have to take out the center console. But if you dont, take out the console and save urself some headache. now on to the review...

Just let me say . It made my gt feel like and entirely different car. The throws are so freaking short its unbelievable. I chose not to use the adjustable stops and just took them out all together for ease of installation, but i could only imagine how short the throws would be if I had chosen to use them. For me at least the way it is without the stops is short enough. It takes almost no movement to shift. the throws are so short! When I first tested it it was a little tight and hard to shift, so i losened the nuts a lil bit more and it made a world of difference. As to the ineviadble "is it notchy like the other one?" question. I would say no, but some people love fluid shifts that just "go" from one gear to the next. This shifter is not like that, buts it not notchy. The shifts are percise and crisp. I love the way it feels. It reminds me of the old muscle car shifters. Not to mention it looks badass!!! Hopefully I can get some pics tomorrow of it installed with all my other brand new mgw stuff and I'll get some shots of it from under the car.
Old 5/1/08, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

The stops are not for decreasing the throw, but rather taking the impact of a heafty arm on the lever away from doing tranny damage. I recommend putting the stops back and adjusting them properly.
Old 5/1/08, 10:05 PM
GT Member

In the instructions it says that its optional to install them. Do you think I should?
Old 5/2/08, 04:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mooneyb
In the instructions it says that its optional to install them. Do you think I should?
Do you powershift hard regularily? If so I would.
Old 5/2/08, 06:45 AM
GT Member

I'm gonna reinstall it, and I'll put them in when I do.
Old 5/2/08, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

glad you like it. Love mine!
Old 5/2/08, 01:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Anybody have the Pro-comp, then switch to the billitt? If so, is it worth the change?
Old 5/2/08, 02:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't need the shifter stops. The tranny already has stops built in. I have a Pro5.0 and used them just for peace of mind.
Old 5/2/08, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

what is the difference between this shifter and the hurst competetion shifter?
Old 5/2/08, 03:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by st06vert
what is the difference between this shifter and the hurst competetion shifter?
The Competition is a tradition steel design that's been around a few years. It's the same one the SGT comes with and is marketed by FRPP.

The billitt is new. It's closer to the Tri-ax or Pro-50 in design.
Old 5/2/08, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW the handle goes on the passenger side and it tilts to the rear. Neither picture has it right!

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 5/2/08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 5/2/08, 03:40 PM
GT Member

I hope that one allows you to slam 3rd gear without any bind-up at 6,000+ rpms!
Old 5/3/08, 12:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

i have a comp+ and i shifted it time and time again to 3rd at 6k+ and no problem......i could of never done that with the stocker i just did some spirited shifting until i got my comp+