GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Billet shifter install - pain in the @$$

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/08, 07:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hurst Billet shifter install - pain in the @$$

So I spent way more time than it should have taken to get my shifter Hurst shifter installed today, and it still isnt right.

Basically I've gotten everything installed but the forward bolt on the trans link arm will not go all the way in. I can hand tighten it in about 8 turns then start to wrench it in, once i get a few turns in, it binds and will not budge, but I can ease it out ok. I and my girlfriends father both tried about 8 times backing it out and then trying to go forward again with no luck. I thought it may have been rubbing on the channel but that is not the case.

I had to tighten it until it binds and have left it. I think I'm going to have to take it into a shop to have them fix the bolt after Memorial day. I drove it and it seems OK but I'm definately not leaving it that way.

Also, my shifter ball has a couple big dings in it due to the crappy packaging that Hurst provides , So I will have to call them next week as well.

Basically it took me 6 hours to do the job that should have taken 2 and it still isnt right - oh well, live and learn. I hope I dont get charged 100 dollars to tighten in 1 bolt.

Anyone have any suguestions?
Old 5/24/08, 10:28 PM
Cobra R Member

BOLT

I just hope you did not cross thread it.
Old 5/28/08, 05:43 AM
GT Member

Well I took it across the street to a mechanic and showed him the issue. He basically said nothing could be done unless the driveshaft and transmission were droped.

Same issue, you could hand tighten in the bolt about 8 turns and then once you start torquing it down it seezes it up. I told him that's where the thread locker was, but he didnt think that that would be the issue. Does anyone have any suguestions of what I should do? Should I take it in to the dealership?
Old 5/28/08, 08:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a replacement bolt from the dealership?
Old 5/28/08, 09:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Woodward Ave
Well I took it across the street to a mechanic and showed him the issue. He basically said nothing could be done unless the driveshaft and transmission were dropped.
Take it to the dealer, or a trusted mechanic and let them take care of it.
Old 5/28/08, 09:31 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If he turned it by hand 8 times there's no way it's cross-threaded. Especially when you consider the serious lack of space to work with on that bolt and the inability to apply any real force one could apply to the thing.
Old 5/28/08, 10:34 AM
GT Member

The mechanic suguested that i just leave it the way it was since it did not seem like it would fall out, screw that. At least he only charged me 20 bucks to put it on the lift and look at it.

I droped it off at the dealership this morning after the mechanic looked at it. Estimate is for $80 but im assuming that will triple that if they have to drop everything and rethread it. The Ford mechanic should be calling me with an update this afternoon or tomorrow morning after they look at it.

Im grateful my girlfriend is staying with me this summer and can walk to work, because she is letting me use her car to commute this week. I hope they get my car back to me by Friday with a tab under 300 bucks!

Ugh also, one other thing about the shifter - the packaging sucks, I called Hurst and they are suposed to be sending me a new one. Either the shift stops, stick, or ball is rattling at certain rpm - not sure if this is common.

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 5/28/08 at 11:23 AM.
Old 5/28/08, 10:40 AM
GT Member

well heres the thread locker i used, I think it dried on before i was able to get the bolt in http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...egoryCode=2131

edit: it looks like it hardens in 20 minutes and requires 250 ft/lbs of torque to break. so it probably hardended before i put it in. I called the Mechanic and let him know that the thread locker was probably the issue. So, hopefully they just pop in a new bolt and it works.

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 5/28/08 at 11:02 AM.
Old 5/28/08, 12:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Try and thread that bolt in without the shifter. It will tell you if there's any preload issues associated with the shifter/trans alignment.
Old 5/28/08, 12:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBill
Try and thread that bolt in without the shifter. It will tell you if there's any preload issues associated with the shifter/trans alignment.
+1..... but only after removing the thread locker or with a new bolt entirely.
Old 5/28/08, 03:40 PM
GT Member

ugh - spoke to the tech - it was cross threaded but he said they could fix it, so that it would be ok and i would have no problems but it wouldnt be "ford spec." or they could drop the trans and rethread it. I went the cheap route, so i hope it doesn't give me any problems.
Old 5/28/08, 03:43 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
So after all this what is your opinion on the shifter? Was this all Hursts fault or yours (with the exception of the freight damage caused by less than stellar packaging)?
Old 5/28/08, 03:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

MGW FTW!

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Old 5/28/08, 05:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
So after all this what is your opinion on the shifter? Was this all Hursts fault or yours (with the exception of the freight damage caused by less than stellar packaging)?
It wasnt Hursts fault it was mine. I have barely driven the car since i installed it so i cant give a good opinion yet since it was not installed 100% correct. When i did drive it, the arm was moving slightly, which was causing me to miss and grind 3rd and 4th gear. After i get it back tomorrow I will let you know.

Also, I emailed Northern Auto Parts and spoke with Hurst. Both were willing to send me out an replacement shift **** free of charge, so I'm pretty happy with the customer service of both companies so far.

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 5/28/08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 5/28/08, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as the rattle, check your bolts where the chrome arm meets the shifter. The "lock washers" they give you really suck and don't do any good. Either put some locktite on the bolts, or pick up some better lock washers. I just put better washers on both cars and no problems almost a year later.
Old 5/29/08, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Well, they fixed it - it shifts a lot smoother into gear and i havent grinded 3 or 4th - shifter still rattles though so i might have to torque down those crome arm bolts.
Old 5/29/08, 04:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, they fixed it - it shifts a lot smoother into gear and i havent grinded 3 or 4th - shifter still rattles though so i might have to torque down those crome arm bolts.

This post is out of content but I have to ask. When is the cruise up there this year?
Old 5/29/08, 06:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
This post is out of content but I have to ask. When is the cruise up there this year?

Hello, Captain Random......
Old 5/29/08, 08:19 PM
GT Member

August 16, but basically there are people out all summer long along Woodward parked in parking lots with their hoods open. I drove through mainstreet in royal oak tonight and there were about 100+ bikes lined up down the street.

The only problem with living directly on Woodward is the road noise durring the summer. It can be annoying when you have to wake up at 7am goto work and you have Harleys or a GTO with straight pipes driving by at 2:00am on a Wednesday. But, the plus side is I get to sit on the front lawn of my condo complex in August, drink beer with friends, and watch the cars go by.

One thing i noticed with the shifter - the crome stick gets pretty warm to the touch, I hope this is normal...
Old 5/31/08, 10:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not sure if they totally fixed it if it still rattles. Mine doesn't rattle at all and it's been on the car for 1-1/2 years now. Granted, mine's not the billet, but neither one should rattle. Either something needs tightening, or you might have a defective shifter.

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet shifter install - pain in the @$$